Author Topic: Barone Connects The Dots On O'Bama  (Read 1528 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Barone Connects The Dots On O'Bama
« on: June 27, 2011, 12:51:59 AM »
I made this exact same comparison, I don't know, maybe mid-2009. Others probably did, too. It's an easy comparison to make given easily observable evidence. Barone puts it this way:

But there is another comparison I think more appropriate for a president who, according to one of his foreign-policy staffers, prefers to "lead from behind." The man I have in mind is Chauncey Gardiner, the character played by Peter Sellers in the 1979 movie "Being There."

As you may remember, Gardiner is a clueless gardener who is mistaken for a Washington eminence and becomes a presidential adviser. Asked if you can stimulate growth through temporary incentives, Gardiner says, "As long as the roots are not severed, all is well and all will be well in the garden."

"First comes the spring and summer," he explains, "but then we have fall and winter. And then we get spring and summer again." The president is awed as Gardiner sums up, "There will be growth in the spring."

Kind of reminds you of Barack Obama's approach to the federal budget, doesn't it?

The federal budget is only the latest in a string of issues that has had O'Bama acting/speaking/thinking like Chance the gardener. And he does compare well with Chance because he really isn't a very smart guy. He's nowhere near as smart as GWB. But the MFM has been selling the notion that he's a genius for so long that they have come to believe it themselves.

Barone is highly respected in electoral media circles so opinion pieces such as this will be outriders for the rest of the MFM herd to follow. And Barone is highly respected for a reason: He's frequently right in his prognostications. And since most of the MFM is stupid and chronically lazy (no original thinking there) they look to people like Barone for direction. I honestly do not think that Barone is just now figuring O'Bama out. I will bet that he knew just how stupid and lazy the president was as quick or quicker than I did. But Barone held back on the condemnation for reasons of objectivity: He doesn't want to appear any more biased or partisan than he already does.

The second quarter of 2011 may turn out to be the "tipping point" for the MFM with O'Bama. We shall see.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: Barone Connects The Dots On O'Bama
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 12:57:23 AM »
It will be interesting to see who, if anyone, comes to the defense of O'Bama because the essence of Barone's piece is that he has just compared the president to a high functioning moron.  

Forrest Gump was a genius compared to Chance the gardener.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 01:21:47 AM »
Yeah, the comparison between Obama and Chauncey Gardiner was pretty obvious from the get-go.  I also saw it, and I know others did too.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 01:45:55 AM »

I remember, kudos.
[blockquote]
I honestly do not think that Barone is just now figuring O'Bama out. I will bet that he knew just how stupid and lazy the president was as quick or quicker than I did. But Barone held back on the condemnation for reasons of objectivity: He doesn't want to appear any more biased or partisan than he already does.
[/blockquote]   

Yeah, he knew it all along but he held back for another reason.  If he had said it early on those who now will listen and understand would have called him presumptuous or partisan hack.  By waiting till the appropriate moment he retains his position as sage and seer.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 02:50:11 AM »
The important thing to note about Michael Barone is that he's meticulous about doing his homework . People on both the right and left take his analysis very seriously because inspite of being basically conservative , Barone's take on situations is thoroughly objective ... and yes , he's usually right .

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 07:53:28 AM »
High functioning moron...

Yeah.

But one with a dangerous agenda and a lot of minions implementing it!

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 08:37:43 AM »
I remember you making that exact comparison Trap. Maybe Barone is a lurker?
 ::saywhat::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 10:15:08 AM »
One problem with the analysis.

Chauncey was actually good at something.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 11:26:29 AM »

::hysterical::

Ya got that right!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 05:33:34 PM »

He wasn't a malevolent figure either.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 06:45:18 PM »
It will be interesting to see who, if anyone, comes to the defense of O'Bama because the essence of Barone's piece is that he has just compared the president to a high functioning moron.  

Forrest Gump was a genius compared to Chance the gardener.

::clapping::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie