Author Topic: Battery storage!  (Read 1951 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Battery storage!
« on: June 26, 2011, 11:18:24 PM »
Stored at room temperature, Alkaline batteries will retain at 80 percent of their original charge for around 7 years. In another 7 years, they'll have 60 percent of their original charge remaining, and so on.

Storing them in the fridge greatly increases their shelf life, and storing them in a hot vehicle greatly decreases it:

So, unless you're planning on using them all up within a few years of when you bought them, it's best to store them in the fridge.

Lithium cells still have around 80 percent of their original charge after being stored at room temperature for 20 years, and will probably outlast any fridge you store them in:

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/604/lithiumshelf.gif

It only takes a couple years for Carbon-Zinc batteries to drop to 80 percent of their original charge. However, keeping them in the fridge has the same beneficial effect as with Alkaline or Lithium batteries - they'll store a LOT longer that way.

When storing batteries, it's best to seal each battery individually in plastic (i.e., Saran Wrap, zip-lock bag or vacuum-sealed), rather than storing a bunch of them together in the same container. This precaution ensures that if one battery leaks, it won't be able to leak on any of the others. Sealing them in plastic also helps keep moisture out, which prevents condensation from forming on them while they're in the fridge.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: Battery storage!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 12:04:47 AM »
Stored at room temperature, Alkaline batteries will retain at 80 percent of their original charge for around 7 years. In another 7 years, they'll have 60 percent of their original charge remaining, and so on.

Storing them in the fridge greatly increases their shelf life, and storing them in a hot vehicle greatly decreases it:

Makes total sense. Batteries are essentially chemically driven devices and heat, or lack thereof, has a big impact on chemical reactions.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 12:47:13 AM »

Bought a case of store brand AA's in '01 at Bass Pro, always in the fridge, used the last one this year. As they aged they were used in small draw items such as remotes.  No complaints.

Little slips of plastic.  Items that you infrequently use such as the emergency flashlight in the glove box. Take a thin plastic such as a piece of a sandwich baggy and place it between the negative spring and the battery, stops that discharge leak.  When you need the item remove the plastic and you are the better for it.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 06:45:54 AM »
Hey, that plastic thingy is a good idea Charles, especially in the warmer months.

;)

And for fridge storage, getting a simple plastic bin that fits into your appliance to store them in will ensure you are utilizing space efficiently.

::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 09:03:37 AM »
I don't have room in my fridge.  Can they be put in the freezer?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 10:20:14 AM »
I don't have room in my fridge.  Can they be put in the freezer?

I don't know.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 11:09:24 AM »
I didn't think that was a good idea, I forget why...sub-freezing temps affect small batteries more than deep-cycle like we need up here in winter for our cars.  I think cool not freezing is the goal.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 03:47:22 PM »
You can also get heavy automotive type 12v batteries that are stored dry. You add electrolyte solution when they enter service, at which point they become a "new" battery. In dry storage, they can last indefinitely. I'm working on getting a set of these.

As for putting batteries in the freezer, I suppose it depends on what the chemical composition is and whether or not freezing could cause it to rupture its casing. I think you'd be fine storing lithium batteries that way, because outdoor subzero use is one of their indications vs. alkaline batteries, so clearly they're able to physically withstand it.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly