Author Topic: CT  (Read 7618 times)

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: CT
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 10:51:21 PM »
I haven't commented there since I left GCP.  I logged out, but I didn't delete my account.  I rarely check it out any more.

I was hesitant to weigh in but....

I'm not one for burning bridges. Lord knows I've had my share torched out from under me. The friendships I developed at PL were satisfying so naturally becoming a fellow castaway at nano's was a logical move for me. The atmosphere of the place was so completely different from PL I thought it would work out great. But the initial "everybody pitching in" gave way to the three amigos calling the shots on just about everything and the choosing of sides proved inevitable. IMO nano could have short-circuited it if he had wanted to. I get the impression that he approved of the stratification that took place.

It didn't take long to realize that, no matter how long I stayed there, it would never be "home" and I would never be "family". I completely understood IDP's move to create a space for himself. I guess the binary "choose one" would either be made by me - or made for me. So I chose.

I'm happy with my choice.  ;)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 11:10:12 PM »
I haven't commented there since I left GCP.  I logged out, but I didn't delete my account.  I rarely check it out any more.

I was hesitant to weigh in but....

I'm not one for burning bridges. Lord knows I've had my share torched out from under me. The friendships I developed at PL were satisfying so naturally becoming a fellow castaway at nano's was a logical move for me. The atmosphere of the place was so completely different from PL I thought it would work out great. But the initial "everybody pitching in" gave way to the three amigos calling the shots on just about everything and the choosing of sides proved inevitable. IMO nano could have short-circuited it if he had wanted to. I get the impression that he approved of the stratification that took place.

It didn't take long to realize that, no matter how long I stayed there, it would never be "home" and I would never be "family". I completely understood IDP's move to create a space for himself. I guess the binary "choose one" would either be made by me - or made for me. So I chose.

I'm happy with my choice.  ;)

And so am I! ::kissface::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 12:08:03 AM »
Most things work out how they ought to in the long run. I sure am glad we're here, but I was NOT glad when proboards pulled the plug on us. Likewise - at the time - I would've much rather nano, FITG, and CG just get a frikkin life and left people alone than to have had to make the decision to try something new. Now, I'm very glad they were assholes.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2011, 09:16:24 AM »
Most things work out how they ought to in the long run. I sure am glad we're here, but I was NOT glad when proboards pulled the plug on us. Likewise - at the time - I would've much rather nano, FITG, and CG just get a frikkin life and left people alone than to have had to make the decision to try something new. Now, I'm very glad they were a$$holes.

Don't forget Evon. But anyways they won one battle and lost a war.They were so sure that our "TONE" would be the end of that blog and they were right it was their "TONE" that killed it.
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2011, 09:22:23 AM »
Most things work out how they ought to in the long run. I sure am glad we're here, but I was NOT glad when proboards pulled the plug on us. Likewise - at the time - I would've much rather nano, FITG, and CG just get a frikkin life and left people alone than to have had to make the decision to try something new. Now, I'm very glad they were a$$holes.

::thumbsup::

charlesoakwood

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2011, 09:28:30 AM »

Don't forget Evon. But anyways they won one battle and lost a war.They were so sure that our "TONE" would be the end of that blog and they were right it was their "TONE" that killed it.

They were exemplary fascists, they fought to control or destroy the opposition and when they succeeded reason for them to exist ceased therefore it became necessary for the virus to travel to a new host.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2011, 02:06:47 PM »
I think we have done a great job here.

Since IDP graciously invited me (along with Pandora) to assist with admin/mod duties I have been able to do here what I wanted nano to do at CT...take a hands off approach to the comments unless someone posts something truly egregious, is publishing spam, is advocating (ex. paulbots) or is a leftist troll.

As you know, the number of times that we have had to drop the banhammer have been few and far between. We have had very few pm's with members about their conduct. As noted above, there is no tone* problem here. It was an invented problem at CT that stifled freedom of expression and killed the fun of posting there.

This is a great community.

Thanks to everyone who participates here.

*I would almost like to see FITG, CG and Evon show up here so that I could personally harangue them over each and every one of their posts with regard to their tone. Notice that I said "almost."

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2011, 02:27:42 PM »
I'm happy with us.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
I think we have done a great job here.

Since IDP graciously invited me (along with Pandora) to assist with admin/mod duties I have been able to do here what I wanted nano to do at CT...take a hands off approach to the comments unless someone posts something truly egregious, is publishing spam, is advocating (ex. paulbots) or is a leftist troll.

As you know, the number of times that we have had to drop the banhammer have been few and far between. We have had very few pm's with members about their conduct. As noted above, there is no tone* problem here. It was an invented problem at CT that stifled freedom of expression and killed the fun of posting there.

This is a great community.

Thanks to everyone who participates here.

*I would almost like to see FITG, CG and Evon show up here so that I could personally harangue them over each and every one of their posts with regard to their tone. Notice that I said "almost."

::clapping::

charlesoakwood

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2011, 02:35:27 PM »

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2011, 07:01:30 PM »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

hemm

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2011, 07:57:59 PM »

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2011, 07:56:50 PM »
Maybe in a year or two we can schedule a cruise ship vacation for the forum.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2011, 08:29:49 PM »

While I REALLY enjoy the site and the tone, I'll pass on that. I see enough saltwater at work.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2011, 08:49:58 PM »

While I REALLY enjoy the site and the tone, I'll pass on that. I see enough saltwater at work.

I'm only half serious.

I am thinking that when my business is back on its feet (probably two years and another president away) I will be ready for a cruise ship vacation. I suppose they aren't for everyone but for my money it's the best there is.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2011, 08:56:17 PM »
Maybe we can just schedule a meet-up then on dry land somewhere?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2011, 09:09:36 PM »

I'm in!!
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2011, 09:31:52 PM »

Find me a place with one o' those jet-pack thingys from the other thread, and I'm halfway there!

Wouldn't that be something? For some reason, the idea simultaneously thrills me and scares the sh*t outa me.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2011, 09:46:24 PM »
Can't help it. I'm itchin' for a cruise. But it's at least two years out the way things are going.

Royal Caribbean, baby...ooooh, yeah.