Author Topic: Latest In Cruise Ship Excursions: The Jetpack Experience  (Read 1070 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Latest In Cruise Ship Excursions: The Jetpack Experience
« on: June 28, 2011, 10:19:09 PM »
Saw this at the FNC site. They have the embedded video that shows these things in action.

$249 for an hour and a half which seems a bit pricey since only 30 minutes of it is actual jet pack experience. I think I would probably wait for the price to come down as more place offer it. And it must be very loud.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: Latest In Cruise Ship Excursions: The Jetpack Experience
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 11:08:26 PM »
Does sound kind of pricey. Looks pretty neat, but boring after a while. I like to travel and being tethered would limit travel. At least if you just have to stay in sight of the mothership.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 11:40:10 PM »
Since they're powered by seawater, they pretty much have to be tethered.  The original jetpacks from the 1960s could only carry enough fuel for about a minute of flight.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 12:02:39 AM »
That looks pretty darn cool. It looks to me like the little boats just follow you around wherever you go. I'd bet the actual unit you're riding in is so loud and intense, you probably don't feel the thing dragging behind you. I'd also bet that 1/2 hour is probably about 15 minutes too long for most people, based on the capability and maneuverability as demonstrated in the video. Looks to me like you bob up and down for a while, go high, go low, do a few turns, go forward, go backward, and then rinse and repeat. I'd try it for a hundo.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 12:48:34 AM »
Right about now I would settle for just being on a cruise ship. Best vacation ever.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 05:53:49 AM »
Right about now I would settle for just being on a cruise ship. Best vacation ever.

If you really want to get away and rest, cruising is the way to go. Be prepared to gain about 5 lbs., though.
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 06:14:36 AM »
I went parasailing, tethered to a speedboat.  Once.  Looking down, the water appeared as green cement.

I'll stay down here and hold y'alls pocketbooks.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 07:38:26 AM »
Hold my pocketbook Pan...

...hey, wait, what did I just do?!

;D

::exitstageleft::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 07:51:30 AM »

;D

Heh.  Okay; I'll hold your pistole instead.

When I was young/er, one of us who didn't care to indulge in the amusement park rides -- roller coaster and such -- stayed behind and held the stuff ya didn't want to take on with you; then, it was mostly other girls' purses.  That "one of us" was usually me.  I don't know if it was a common practice everywhere at the time or not.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 11:53:35 AM »

;D

Heh.  Okay; I'll hold your pistole instead.

When I was young/er, one of us who didn't care to indulge in the amusement park rides -- roller coaster and such -- stayed behind and held the stuff ya didn't want to take on with you; then, it was mostly other girls' purses.  That "one of us" was usually me.  I don't know if it was a common practice everywhere at the time or not.

Yeah, well I do that too now with the little nephews...I'm too old to be going on anything more vigorous than a ferris wheel!  But I still like a high dive at a pool if available!

Hold my beer, I'll be back in a sec...

Cannonball!

::whoohoo::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.