Author Topic: (Sigh) Another blog war  (Read 1269 times)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
(Sigh) Another blog war
« on: July 02, 2011, 09:44:07 AM »
This one's between Pamela Geller of Atlas Shrugs and Baron Bodissey of Gates of Vienna.  The point of contention is whether anti-Semitism has infiltrated the English Defence League.

I haven't visited either site in a little while, so I just got up to speed about it today.

Pamela fired the first volley here, then the Baron responded here.

Pam then proceeded to kick it up a notch here.  The Baron hasn't yet responded directly, but he did post this late last night.

Naturally, most of the commenters at both sites have chosen sides.  Everyone is accusing everyone else of being another Charles Johnson.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: (Sigh) Another blog war
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 10:44:15 AM »
For whatever reason, conservatives tend to eat their own. I don't get it.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 11:15:52 AM »
Auster lends some clarity:

Spencer dismisses the open letter as nothing but the "desperate" effusions of jealous people who are willing to tear the anti-jihad movement apart for nihilistic reasons of pure ego--the sort of response Spencer would routinely make to me, and, really, with variations, to everyone who has ever criticized him. I can't think offhand of a single instance in which Spencer has acknowledged that a substantive criticism of himself was made reasonably and in good faith.

As for Geller, in her response at Atlas Shrugs she goes on at great length about her past problems with Baron Bodissey of Gates of Vienna, by way of proving his ill intent toward her. No one but the parties immediately involved could care to follow this long, detailed rehearsal, which in any case is besides the point.

The point of the open letter was that Geller's denunciation of the EDL contained no facts. Instead of admitting this, Geller engages in a degree of blatant double talk I have rarely or never seen. First, she says that her denunciation didn't need to contain any facts, because the facts were provided by EDL leader Tommy Robinson's statement yesterday, which, Geller asserts, confirms Geller's charges that the organization has been so "infiltrated" by neo-fascist and anti-Semitic elements that the organization itself has effectively become neo-fascist and anti-Semitic, and therefore she withdraws her support from it. Nothing could be further from the truth. Robinson affirms over and over that his organization has always eschewed anti-Semitism and continues to do so.

There's more at the link.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

RickZ

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 11:36:54 AM »
Gates of Vienna went under CJ's bus first, so I'm sticking with them.

Sometimes (oftentimes), Geller can be over the top.

What's sad is Spencer is dragged into this as well as hurting, overall, the anti-jihad movement.  In the search for purity, we are our own worst enemies.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 12:10:22 PM »

FWIW: Both the left and the right do this. It quite often starts with the most zealous or extremist (or purist) advocate expressing his/her impatience and/or intolerance with a more moderate POV. I see it all the time when people start yelling past one another instead of to each other.

I'm just as guilty as the next guy but I'm trying to adopt an internal "pop-off" mechanism that reminds me when communications have given way to insults.

It doesn't always work so good  ;)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 12:17:11 PM »

FWIW: Both the left and the right do this. It quite often starts with the most zealous or extremist (or purist) advocate expressing his/her impatience and/or intolerance with a more moderate POV. I see it all the time when people start yelling past one another instead of to each other.

I'm just as guilty as the next guy but I'm trying to adopt an internal "pop-off" mechanism that reminds me when communications have given way to insults.

It doesn't always work so good  ;)

That's a good point.  Remember Monty Python's Life of Brian?  They had the "People's Front of Judea", the "Judean People's Front", and the "Popular Front of Judea".  That was a parody of rival leftist splinter groups.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 12:30:55 PM »
I do remember....I studied Monty Python when I was supposed to be studying math LOL

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 12:56:24 PM »
Anyway, this sort of thing reminds me of a time in 3rd grade when my two best friends hated each other's guts.  There wasn't a whole lot I could do about it then or now.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 01:21:31 PM »
I haven't really followed any of this, but doesn't the EDL have a "Jewish chapter" or something like that? I seem to recall their banners shown at one of the counterdemonstrations against the Muslim invaders.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 01:31:21 PM »
Once in a while it's good to clear the air but the outcome remains to be seen.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie