Author Topic: Americans Still Agree With Ideals Set Forth in the Declaration of Independence  (Read 1062 times)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
However:

Men tend to agree with all of the Declaration statements more than women do. Eighty percent (80%) of men, for example, agree that the federal government derives its powers from the consent of the governed, but just 52% of women share that view.

Eighty percent (80%) of whites and 81% of Americans of other races agree that “we are all endowed by our Creator with certain inalienable rights.” But only 63% of blacks agree. Similarly, whites and adults of other races are more likely than blacks to agree that “all men are created equal.”

There is little partisan difference of opinion, except with regards to consent of the governed. Seventy-three percent (73%) of both Republicans and those not affiliated with either major political party agree that the government gets its powers from the consent of the governed. Just 51% of Democrats agree.

Link

/hat tip Belmont Club
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

charlesoakwood

That's complex; If they disagree with the constitution they should pick another country.

I like this part:
[blockquote]
Similarly, whites and adults of other races are more likely than blacks to agree that “all men are created equal.”
[/blockquote]
That's a corker.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Reminds me of what Pandora says, that she'd happily give up her own right to vote in order to keep other women from voting.  ::exitstageleft::

"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
I wonder what percentage of people have a grasp of what the term "consent of the governed" even means. Do a "man-in-the-street", and I'd betchya the average urban schlub can't figure it out.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.

That's complex; If they disagree with the constitution they should pick another country.

I like this part:
[blockquote]
Similarly, whites and adults of other races are more likely than blacks to agree that “all men are created equal.”
[/blockquote]
That's a corker.

I suspect these people have no idea this means equal in the eyes of God and under the law, period. 

'Course the whole principle is diluted since abortion was made legal.  How "equal" is a baby in the womb at risk of infanticide at the whim of the mother.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
I wonder what percentage of people have a grasp of what the term "consent of the governed" even means. Do a "man-in-the-street", and I'd betchya the average urban schlub can't figure it out.

I'll bet the average urban schlub can't name the 50 states, but knows EVERY detail about Lady Gaga. ::rockets::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson