Author Topic: John Stossel On Why College Isn't For Everyone (and why lately it sucks)  (Read 4387 times)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
I like dates too.

I remember Sept of 1962, my first date with a cute clarinet player in the band - only I was too scared to try and kiss her. :)

I was 5. Girls still had cooties.

My eldest is in college majoring in mechanical engineering. Some of his classes are real. You have to pay attention.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
A college degree is simply the entry point for access to modern day guilds.  Guilds, I might add, with their own language and customs, which is why they are guilds.  The legal, accounting, social work,, education, etc., professions all have their own language and customs with membership in that guild only accessible with a college degree preprogrammed for entry.  Think anyone can study law on their own and become a member of the bar, as Lincoln did?  Think a mathematician or a physicist can teach high school math or science?  (NYC tried that under Giuliani, having people with business/real life experiences teach, but the teachers' union put the kibosh on that -- they were not members of the guild!)

When bartenders actually require certification to be a member of the bartending guild, we might see some alteration to this modern concept of guilds.

Now I'm not saying everybody can do every job as their must be some aptitude for a job (like not having a teacher run a cash register at McDonald's), but I do view modern guilds as a form of economic slavery as the freedom to shift job titles/positions is deliberately limited.  After working in an area for 20 years, try writing a resume which successfully allows one to change career paths.  It's very difficult as a resume is your work history and businesses taking applications for a job look for a candidate with that 'perfect fit' every time.

Funny that you mentioned guilds i that a large portion of professors are Marxist or lean that way and the very concept of guilds is what Karl was rebelling against and now once again in a totally different language a new guild like system has been shoved into place by those Marxists.. Total insanity, my friends.

It just proves our points that education is designed around the concept od "more education is better" when in fact less of public education is preferrable to better one's children.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
My daughter is reading Academically Adrift, Limited Learning on College Campuses.  I'm reading it too because every other paragraph she feels compelled to read it aloud to me.  We're only to page 81 of a 200 page book and I can say it would be worth your while to seek it out. For example, they point out that in recent decades 30% of C students and 15% of C- or lower students are admitted to college.  Realistically, how many of them are going to find success at college?  The book also points out the number of students who don't graduate after 5 years and 6 years (I can't find the number right now)-- in other words all those high schools who brag about their % of students attending college aren't telling their parents how many actually graduate.

This is why a college degree is worth less today even though it costs more.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."