Author Topic: The Rite  (Read 851 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
The Rite
« on: July 10, 2011, 10:09:49 AM »
If you're a fan of satanic possession horror films with a religious and/or spiritual message, and you're a fan of Anthony Hopkins, this one is a goodie.

The Rite is based on a novel by Matt Baglio called "The Rite: The Making of an Exorcist", which claims to be based on actual events.

It is the story of a young man raised as the son of an eccentric funeral home director who enters the seminary to become a priest, only to offer his resignation before ordination because of lack of faith. As a last measure in an effort to challenge the young man's lack of faith, his mentor at seminary school sends him to Rome to study exorcism. Anthony Hopkins plays the exorcist to whom he's assigned, and the creepiness unfolds from there.

You watch the young man work through his doubt, even when as the viewer, all thoughts of coincidence are almost immediately erased by what unfolds in the film. The film takes the existence of Satan and God for granted, and places the character in the position of unbeliever. So I think it's not too much of a spoiler to reveal an aspect of the film's refreshing conclusion: When finally confronted with the reality of the devil's demon incarnate, this young man has an epiphany - that only through faith in the salvation offered him through Jesus Christ can this demon be defeated. He essentially accepts Christ as his Lord in the midst of an exorcism.

If you still shudder when you watch "The Exorcist", this is one of the better reboots of the genre I've seen. Another is The Exorcism of Emily Rose, also said to be based on actual events.

'The Rite' Trailer
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: The Rite
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 10:26:14 AM »
I can't believe I haven't heard of the movie. I'm a fan of both, the genre and Hopkins. I'll definitely have to check it out first chance I get.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson