Author Topic: Simple answer to complex problem  (Read 1319 times)

Offline what the Hell?

• Newb
  • Congress at Work!
Simple answer to complex problem
« on: July 10, 2011, 10:36:28 AM »
 ::thinking::

While discussing [explaining to my wife] the budget and debt it occured to me that a forgotten
aspect to this problem is "the enemy" [congress] itself.
Get rid of the "enemy" solves the problem. How to solve problem ::thinking:: answer: TERM LIMITS
and drowning the lobbists  to be near and close to the dead lawyers already or soon to be at bottom of ocean.
Thus congree will not have any easons to solve debt and deficit issues. We already have POTUS limits as well as gubnetorial limits why havent we done this ::thinking:: answer the "enemy is US".
We are what we elect, stupid!!!

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Simple answer to complex problem
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 12:59:08 PM »
I'm always willing to look at term limits, and there are good arguments for them. But inherent in that debate are some arguments against them as well.

In arguing for them, we tend to blame career politicians and the corruption that comes with the power.

But how would we deal with kamikaze ideologues, willing to run for office once and "do what's necessary" for their cause? Imagine a congress full of people willing to say and do anything to get elected in order to fulfill a "mission", without the threat of electoral oblivion hanging over their heads? It seems to me that term limits would attract ideologues like flies. For what other reason would someone run for office, other than to fulfill what they believe to be their civic duty? How many Leftists are willing to say and do anything in order to create the desired results of their "civic duty"?

As it stands, the only non-violent power we have over politicians is the threat to remove them from office if they do not enact our will. Take away that threat, and what leverage do we have?

ETA: BTW, WTH. SpellCheck is your friend.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 03:24:37 PM »
What I find sad is we shouldn't NEED term limits. Can we outlaw stupidity? ::laserkill::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 03:29:08 PM »
What I find sad is we shouldn't NEED term limits. Can we outlaw stupidity? ::laserkill::

I wish.

Thanks to the Voting Rights Act, we definitely do need term limits, because of the laws mandating the perpetuation of majority minority districts ~~ always Dem ~~ which is how the likes of Sheila Jackson Lee and Maxine Waters keep getting reelected.

I'll add that we need to term limit the staffs and the bureaucrats as well.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 04:46:11 PM »
I like the idea of a sliding bar within each  party primary. You must pass a general vote of confidence - 50% your first term, 60% the next and so on.
Then after you pass that bar, you have a primary to figure out who to run.  No one gets a pass to run again.  And heck, lets pick a group of  people out of the party rolls at random while we are at it.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 04:47:52 PM »
Why are they paid?  They should receive a small stipend and a barracks to live.
They actually need to convene no more than one or two months a year.  
The founding fathers never intended for public office to be a career.

Every time they say they need to get back an "do the peoples business" I want to puke or run for cover.
If they would quit doing our business we would be in a lot better shape.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 04:51:00 PM »

I wish.

Thanks to the Voting Rights Act, we definitely do need term limits, because of the laws mandating the perpetuation of majority minority districts ~~ always Dem ~~ which is how the likes of Sheila Jackson Lee and Maxine Waters keep getting reelected.

I'll add that we need to term limit the staffs and the bureaucrats as well.

Worst Boss in America: Sheila Jackson Lee - Michael Berry Show

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 11:00:21 PM »

Every time they say they need to get back an "do the peoples business" I want to puke or run for cover.

What they mean to say is "We need to get back to interfere in the people's business"
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 11:18:59 PM »

Damn straight.  Our business is none of their damn business.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 07:04:56 AM »

Damn straight.  Our business is none of their damn business.

::thumbsup::

And your earlier statement - "I'll add that we need to term limit the staffs and the bureaucrats as well."

Oh hell yes!!!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.