Author Topic: 5th year of high school? yeah, that will help  (Read 2832 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
5th year of high school? yeah, that will help
« on: July 10, 2011, 09:48:31 PM »

Or instead of holding everyone back just hold back the ones who haven't learned yet....

No matter how much a student says he or she hates school, no young person really wants to drop out. But for a variety of reasons, including pregnancy and poor environment, some students can’t get through high school in four years.

Adding an extra year would give these challenged students time to find a fresh start.

For those students who are on track, the extra year could be spent in instruction that focuses on employment or life skills.

It is one way to stop funneling students into community colleges even though they are not prepared to do college-level work.

At the same time, the plan would not hold back students capable of moving on because they could earn college credit.

Right now, there aren’t many options for students who fall in the middle — between the smart kids and the ones who need help. But quite often, these are the students who need time to figure out the next step.

A fifth year could help put more of them on the right path.
LINK

...Because the previous 12 years weren't enough BUT that 13th year will be the ticket!

I don't suppose we could just teach them starting in first grade and expect them to learn.  Nah, too much to ask.  Let's just drag out everyone's misery and throw good money after bad.

::gaah::
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
Re: 5th year of high school? yeah, that will help
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 10:54:04 PM »
"Because the previous 12 years weren't enough BUT that 13th year will be the ticket!

I don't suppose we could just teach them starting in first grade and expect them to learn.  Nah, too much to ask.  Let's just drag out everyone's misery and throw good money after bad."

God forbid they just teach them what should be from the onset but of course that would go aginst the indoctrination they're getting now and the teachers would actually have to ....teach the basics of critical thinking and lastly, they would lose their control.

Dare to dream.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 11:10:25 PM »
If there's one god damned thing I hate it's people looking out for themselves and using children as a shield. The truth is that they want to spend as much time filling their heads with all this ideology instead of just teaching the kids. Let the parents do the ideology and they just stick to the basic subjects they need to know to move forward in their studies.

They don't need 13 years of BS they need 12 years of honest instruction.Kids want to be told what to do they want to please their parents for at least the early years. If they can see results for thenselves they become easier to handle later on. That doesn't mean that they  wont put up a fight at some point. But they need to know that in some things in life there will be no choices they have to perform

My youngest was the first in our family to go the college(very proud of that)but she at one point wanted to quit it was as she told her mom too hard. Mom told her it was fine with her but she had to tell me that she wanted to quit,so the choice was deal with me or finish school,she decided that school was easier to deal with than having to deal with me if she dared quit.

I never knew that till a couple of years ago when she herself told me the story and thanked me for being the Demanding SOB that I can be.She described me as stubburn demanding and hard to please but never for me always for them and she also said that I was never unfair.

In the end we both got what we wanted but we got it for different reasons.But we both won.Kids don't need an extra year they need a reason to work and succeed.When losers are treated like winners what happens is that the losers know they lost and the winners feel like there was no reason the try harder and win there was no real success for either one of them.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 11:11:12 PM »
Or ...

How about technical school or a trade instead of the current determination that everybody must go to college, as though ::happyhappyjoyjoy:: everybody is college material with a little extra effort.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

RickZ

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 05:58:16 AM »
13th year school?  More teachers!  (Hence more goonions.)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 06:02:42 AM »
Or ...

How about technical school or a trade instead of the current determination that everybody must go to college, as though ::happyhappyjoyjoy:: everybody is college material with a little extra effort.

Some parents do get that.  I have a friend who told me they are looking into a trade for their high school son.  He could do college (he's does fine in school) but he's a hands-on type of kid who would be happier learning a trade and going to work.  His school counselor was pushing taking more math and sciences so he could get into college but he's not interested.  He goes to one of the few high schools here that offers trade classes.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 06:06:01 AM »
  They don't need 13 years of BS they need 12 years of honest instruction.Kids want to be told what to do they want to please their parents for at least the early years. If they can see results for thenselves they become easier to handle later on. That doesn't mean that they  wont put up a fight at some point. But they need to know that in some things in life there will be no choices they have to perform

That's the secret!  BUT it takes effort and well, you know, that cuts into the parents' me time.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 07:22:10 AM »
After 9th grade I was bored out of my skull...

Add a 13th year and you might as well up the pharma intake, suicides are likely to rise...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 08:52:28 AM »

That's the secret!  BUT it takes effort and well, you know, that cuts into the parents' me time.

Parents and me time there's a scream.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 11:10:30 AM »
The great state of Louisiana has implemented 6 (yes, six) different Pre-K programs and STILL they can't graduate more students. ::bashing::
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 03:37:57 PM by AlanS »
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 02:01:03 PM »
This is nothing more than teachers (pardon me, "educators") and educrats manufacturing demand for their "services". It's sort of like how the core General Ed curriculum at universities is structured to keep certain useless courses and faculty in demand, as most any course name that ends with "Studies" would never have enrollees without such mandates.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 02:15:31 PM »
The students ready to move on will be suck with another year of time-wasting, mind-numbing nothingness.

I suppose they'll call it "college prep".

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 05:27:01 PM »
They're angling for kids in goverment school from age 3 to 19. A few extra years of indoctrination, where the best and brightest get fast-tracked into government funded college for 5 years. Sounds like Leftist  paradise to me. In other words, hell.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 01:01:28 PM »
They're angling for kids in goverment school from age 3 to 19. A few extra years of indoctrination, where the best and brightest get fast-tracked into government funded college for 5 years. Sounds like Leftist  paradise to me. In other words, hell.

YES!

Hell.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 01:07:44 PM »

YES!

Hell.

And having to hire more union members while they're at it.
 Filippo Mazzie