Author Topic: The O'Bama Depression Thread  (Read 73824 times)

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Re: The O'Bama Depression Thread
« Reply #560 on: April 30, 2014, 08:11:48 AM »
I know, I know, there are squirrels to be watching, just ask my cat.  ::hysterical::

But while you were watching that squirrel known as the NBA, first quarter growth came out.

0.1%

Gird your loins.  Here we go.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #561 on: April 30, 2014, 09:43:15 AM »
I know, I know, there are squirrels to be watching, just ask my cat.  ::hysterical::

But while you were watching that squirrel known as the NBA, first quarter growth came out.

0.1%

Yes.  And these are scrubbed and sanitized puppet-theater numbers...the same clowns that are forced to revise downward ever more in a week or two each and every time, that gets little coverage in the MFM...

And these are the same clowns telling us "All is well!"...

::saywhat::   ::hysterical::

Don't expect anything out of the ordinary drivel to come out of Yellin & Screamin's FOMC later today...

::unknowncomic::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #562 on: April 30, 2014, 10:21:42 AM »

Yep, its looking more and more like 2014 is the year...  But you can bet they will be doing their damnest to paint "everything is awesome"  everywhere.
But if they released a number like .1%? As the Kabuki Number using the NEW GDP calculation system you can be sure we are in full recession and the real number is -2  to -3% .

Here we go is right..

And the .1 comes from Obamacare spending

Whole thing is on life support .

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #563 on: April 30, 2014, 12:50:33 PM »
On CNBC this morning the local liberal blamed it on the weather. A weather related number. All is well, all the technical call for a stronger next quarter.... ::lalanotlistening::
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #564 on: April 30, 2014, 02:19:29 PM »
On CNBC this morning the local liberal blamed it on the weather. A weather related number. All is well, all the technical call for a stronger next quarter.... ::lalanotlistening::

The whole country wasn't shut down by the weather......................

Its shut down because of Barry and Co. 

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #565 on: April 30, 2014, 02:39:16 PM »
Ying yang, yank my chain...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-04-30/fed-tapers-10-billion-says-economy-consumer-demand-picked

Consensus "everything allright mode"!   ::hysterical::

One of the big reasons why rate hikes are unlikely...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-04-30/heres-chart-you-wont-see-cnbc

All aboard!  Train only stops once...and if that happens nothing matters anymore!

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #566 on: April 30, 2014, 05:39:01 PM »
Just knew the weather would me mentioned as a cause but then doesn't snow removal equipment count as part of activity?

Why wasn't Bush blamed here?
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #567 on: May 01, 2014, 06:55:05 AM »
I dunno, can't believe they forgot about Bush, I think maybe even they are having a hard time repeating that meme any more...

Let's see what the puppet theater comes up with today for unemployment claims and such, they always adjust those down more a wekk later too...

It's getting harder and harder to find enough sprinkles to put on these turds...

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #568 on: May 01, 2014, 09:08:36 AM »
Just knew the weather would me mentioned as a cause but then doesn't snow removal equipment count as part of activity?

Why wasn't Bush blamed here?

No it wasn't weather

Going back to our observation about dividends, what we observe is that the apparent recessionary distress in the U.S. economy began to arrive well in advance of the extreme winter weather that other observers are mistakenly attributing as the sole cause of the economy's poor performance in the first quarter of 2014. While winter weather disrupted a portion of the nation's economy for a short period during 2014-Q1, primarily in the northeast and upper midwest regions of the country, the real primary cause of the low economic growth recorded in the first quarter of 2014 is the outcome of the Fed's decision to begin tapering its Quantitative Easing program and its effect in driving up long-term interest rates from their historic lows.

Huh. Who would have guessed that the  patient gets worse if we cut back the life support a bit?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #569 on: May 01, 2014, 11:18:37 AM »
If they remove all artificial life support machines everyone will learn that the patient had in fact died years ago...

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #570 on: May 02, 2014, 12:02:22 PM »
The awesome two-fer of progressive puppeteering!

Unemployment rate drops!

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/us-gains-288k-jobs-jobless-rate-falls-63-pct

Highest number of Americans not working, ever!

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/05/02/report-more-than-92-million-americans-remain-out-of-labor-force/

EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!!!

That's how you do that shyt!

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #571 on: May 03, 2014, 04:57:19 PM »
If they remove all artificial life support machines everyone will learn that the patient had in fact died years ago...
For certain, the brain function was in fact nil and proof is of course in patterns in voting.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #572 on: May 17, 2014, 02:02:27 AM »
Saw this on the sidebar at AoS. It's from ZeroHedge and if it's true...whoo, boy!

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #573 on: May 17, 2014, 02:24:13 AM »
Being that the dealerships blow-out last year's inventory after the beginning of the new model year, one could presume that these cars are all close to two years old and older. Is that sound logic?

« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 02:27:20 AM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #574 on: May 17, 2014, 01:13:56 PM »
The only problem I have with this report is that it isn't accounting for normal import/export activity. Years ago while I was going back to school I worked part-time for an outfit that processed cars coming off the boat from japland.

We had several yards that looked exactly like this pictures @ zerohedge and as a still-shot it could appear to by stagnant. But in reality the vehicles were in almost constant motion as we processed them and loaded them onto railcars.

I suppose if someone (not me) had enough time and curiosity one could research current build rates, import/export rates, and try to reconcile them to sales rates.

Those pictures were reminiscent though ;')

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #575 on: May 17, 2014, 01:52:23 PM »
I kind of remember the one pic from after Katrina.   At the time it was the lot where insurance companies were collecting flooded out (totaled) cars.    So I am wondering about it.   There is no way auto makers would be able to cook their books that much holding on to that many unsold cars.   I know they sometimes strong arm dealers into taking cars they really don't want.   I have heard stories about local GM dealers trying to refuse delivery of Volts,  but they get stuck with them because they tie them to vehicles they want,  like Tahoes and pickups.   

Though I am amazed how many new cars are sold,  to be honest.  When a mid size car like a Honda Accord can cost $30k,  there will be a time when people go, "no way".   

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #576 on: May 18, 2014, 12:20:02 PM »
That thought occurred to me, too, that I might be seeing an import parking lot. But then there was the picture of the cars lined up at the Sunderland auto test track. And yeah, who is able to shell out these huge sums for average featured cars?

But, on the other hand, I am more than a little skeptical that free market companies would continue to make cars that have no purchasers. This isn't the Soviet Union we are talking about here where you would have two factories running side by side, one making left shoes and one making right shoes. These companies are in business to make a profit and have board members and shareholders to answer to.

So that's why I said, "...if it's true."

I don't doubt that there are troubles in the auto mfg. industry. It's a cyclical industry, though, and it runs through booms and busts during times of relatively good economies because of the fairly long life of its products...people buy a car and don't need to buy another one for quite some time unless they wreck it.

There is a lot of stuff like this published on ZeroHedge that I find to be dubious.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 12:28:25 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #577 on: May 18, 2014, 09:03:23 PM »
Easy enough for the boys at Top Gear to confirm, eh?

As for crony whores GM & Chrysler, they can KMA for eternity!

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #578 on: May 24, 2014, 04:37:35 PM »
As I thought....

I usually enjoy reading Zero Hedge because the insights are often interesting and I think pessimism is an underrated virtue these days. However, this guest article on unsold cars is so demonstrably false I had to take a break from my Sunday morning to dispute it.

It is an admittedly appealing idea to think that automakers, unable to sell cars, are just wildly producing them and then dumping them around the world in an endless cycle of mass production hysteria. So much of the modern economy seems senseless and inexplicable, which is why an article like this seems to give some credence to the feeling many of us have inside that something is terribly wrong.

The visuals are strong, the headline is clear, and you almost don't have to read the article to viscerally understand the problem. I, more than anyone, get the appeal of this story because it seems to largely rip off an article I wrote — including the images and headline — more than five years ago (which itself was largely a rehash of a Guardian article).

LINK

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #579 on: May 25, 2014, 08:09:24 AM »
  I have to go out so I'll make it short. There would be lay offs and plant shut downs long  before it would get as bad as they make it look.  Remember that all it takes is one major storm shutting down a main shipping route and the build up in stock would be crazy.!
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie