Author Topic: McConnell Talking Tough  (Read 5061 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
McConnell Talking Tough
« on: July 12, 2011, 12:06:54 PM »
Frankly, I'm shocked. Hopefully this is not just a precursor to capitulation.

HT: gatewaypundit...

GOP Leader McConnell: Real Deficit Solution Is Unattainable “As Long As Obama Is in White House”

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) offered his strongest criticism yet of President Barack Obama’s leadership in the ongoing talks.

“I have little question that as long as this President is in the Oval Office, a real solution is unattainable,” he said on the Senate floor Tuesday. Adding, “This was not an easy decision for me.”

Obama, he said, “has presented us with three choices: smoke and mirrors, tax hikes or default. Republicans choose none of the above.”

McConnell added the Democratic budget plan would provide only “a couple of billion dollars in cuts up front with empty promises of more to follow.”

”I had hoped to do good, but I refuse to do harm,” he said.

Congressional leaders will return to the White House at 3:45 today to continue negotiations on reaching a deal.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: McConnell Talking Tough
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 12:08:41 PM »
Rush warned Boehner yesterday that Duh Wun's looking to roll him as a re-election guarantee.

I suspect the same applied to McConnell.

They all better wake the hell up.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 12:10:12 PM »
Rush warned Boehner yesterday that Duh Wun's looking to roll him as a re-election guarantee.

I suspect the same applied to McConnell.

They all better wake the hell up.

They are walking on a razor's edge.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 12:10:39 PM »
"But after years of discussions and months of negotiations, I have little question that as long as this president is in the Oval Office, a real solution is unattainable,"

No sh*t?!

Follow through, Mitch.  Follow through!!!

Get suckered again, that's strike three  YEEEEERRRE OOOOOUT!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 12:22:48 PM »
Marco Rubio on with Rush now.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 12:37:38 PM »

He was awesome on Hannity last night. As Michele Bachmann was awesome on O'Reilly.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 12:39:47 PM »

He was awesome on Hannity last night. As Michele Bachmann was awesome on O'Reilly.

And how!!
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 12:40:33 PM »
Old Mitch better start feeding the soon to be Mr.Obama his Peas.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 12:45:12 PM by John Florida »
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 12:43:44 PM »
Old Mitch better start feeding soon to be Mr.Obama his Peas.

The worst part is I think I understood that ..............^^

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 12:44:55 PM »
Old Mitch better start feeding THE soon to be Mr.Obama his Peas.

There all better.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 12:51:26 PM »

There all better.

::thumbsup::

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 01:06:53 PM »

There all better.

And be very afraid of understanding me. It's a sign of mental problems to come.

::thumbsup::
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 02:24:17 PM »
From American Patriot's RedState link:

McConnell’s idea is to make the debt ceiling automatic unless Congress, by a 2/3 vote blocks the increase. Oh yes, he put a salve on it by dressing it up in tough talk that, to quote the Wall Street Journal, “[a] ‘eal solution’ to U.S. fiscal problems isn’t possible as long as President Barack Obama remains in office.” So since no “real solution” is possible, McConnell proposes to go Pontius Pilate and wash his hands of spending, blaming Obama while doing nothing himself.

Here is how the plan would work.

In a nutshell, the President would get to raise the debt ceiling three times in the next year at several billion bucks a pop without making any spending cuts unless two-thirds of both houses of Congress disagree. In his press conference, McConnell says he would not give the President “unilateral authority to make spending cuts on his own,” but this plan would allow the President to raise the debt ceiling pretty much automatically.As the Politico notes,

Senate Republicans are actively pursuing a new plan under which the debt ceiling would grow in three increments over the remainder of this Congress unless lawmakers approve a veto-proof resolution of disapproval.

In effect lawmakers would be surrendering the very power of approval that the GOP has used to force the debt crisis now. But by taking the disapproval route, Republicans can shift the onus more onto the White House and Democrats since a two-thirds majority will be needed to stop any increase that President Barack Obama requests.

Yes, instead of putting the burden on the White House, McConnell would make it damn near impossible to block a debt ceiling increase.

RedState links to National Review and "details from McConnell's office":

The initial legislation would authorize the President to submit a request to Congress asking to increase the debt limit by $700 billion, and would require submission of a plan to reduce spending by a greater amount.

Upon receipt of the President’s request, the debt limit would be provisionally increased by $100 billion to provide breathing room and avert an August 2nd default.

The House and Senate would have 15 days to disapprove of the request.

Within three days of the President’s request, it would be in order for the House and Senate to introduce a joint resolution disapproving of the President’s request.

Under expedited consideration of the Resolution of Disapproval, the resolution would be placed directly on the Senate calendar; the Motion to Proceed to the resolution would be privileged; there would be 10 hours of debate and passage would require a simple majority.

If either chamber defeats the resolution, the remaining $600 billion increase would be allowed.

If both chambers pass the resolution, it would be sent to the President for a veto or signature.

If vetoed, debate on an override would be limited to one hour.

If the veto is overridden (which would require a 2/3 vote) in both chambers, then the request would be denied and the provisional $100 billion increase revoked.

If the veto is sustained in either chamber, the remaining $600 billion increase would be allowed.

For the second and third requests in fall 2011 and summer 2012, the President could request an increase of the debt limit by $900 billion once the Treasury Department determines that the country is within $100 billion of the debt limit. The President would also be required to submit a plan to reduce spending by a greater amount.  Each of these subsequent requests would be subject to the same disapproval process outlined above.

Everybody got that?

I'm pulling my hair out over here.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 02:53:23 PM »
You can spare it I don't have enough to pull out so I'll settle for swearing in all the languages I know!! 

::angry:: ::cussing:: ::rant::
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 03:39:32 PM »
So we will kick the can down the road....a few weeks.

Few weeks, few months, few years, we lose.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 04:00:21 PM »
The Heritage Foundation has already responded to this "contingency plan":

Washington – Heritage Action for America’s CEO Michael A. Needham released the following statement in response to reports detailing Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell’s debt ceiling contingency plan.

There is no question that the Obama administration is fundamentally unserious about the types of reforms our country needs, but to date Republicans in Congress have been expressing their intent to use the debt ceiling as a means to secure systemic reforms that could save our country from fiscal collapse.  The plan that we are reading reports about today is a serious walk back from that position and would seemingly trade the leverage needed to achieve reforms in return for political gains.

If Republicans in Congress believe they cannot strike a real deal with President Obama, they should begin making serious plans to live under the confines of a de facto balanced budget come August 2.

The Stupid Party strikes again. They just love to give away leverage.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 04:01:45 PM »
Hah! And I almost said something nice about him!  ::doh::

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 05:41:35 PM »
Hah! And I almost said something nice about him!  ::doh::

Perish the thought!!That son of a bitch just won't let you say anything nice about him.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 05:57:36 PM »