Author Topic: Interactive graph on payments after subtracting the debt  (Read 1597 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Interactive graph on payments after subtracting the debt
« on: July 16, 2011, 12:37:12 AM »
Very hard to decide; Economy or Politics; Politics or Economy.

http://about.bgov.com/2011/07/12/august-invoices-show-u-s-treasury%E2%80%99s-limited-choices/

It's Bloomberg; I hope it's accurate.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Re: Interactive graph on payments after subtracting the debt
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 01:04:50 AM »
Education Department, Energy Department, and "Other Spending" look like they're ripe for cutting.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 01:24:36 AM »
Education Department, Energy Department, and "Other Spending" look like they're ripe for cutting.

I've got some "progressive" *(more on that in a minute) elsewhere posting graphs and whatnot demonstrating that paying SS after the debt is an iffy proposition, even discounting the other line items.

* I saw today a reference to, and really love the idea of, calling them Oppressives, 'cause that's what they are.

This interactive site looked interesting, informative and accurate.  For me, after SS, Medicare, Military pay, and VA care, all the rest can take a long hike off a short pier.  Judiciary? Prisons? EPA?  Haw!  Ha!  I have an M-1 Carbine; why thee hayull do I need any o' them?

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 08:44:25 AM »
Very hard to decide; Economy or Politics; Politics or Economy.

http://about.bgov.com/2011/07/12/august-invoices-show-u-s-treasury%E2%80%99s-limited-choices/

It's Bloomberg; I hope it's accurate.

I took the challenge....came in at 171.6b - does that mean I get to keep the rest?  :D

In a sense it doesn't matter if it's accurate or not because it's all a false premise. Who says that 'we' have to pay every dime of every presumed obligation in every category on August 3rd? The 'gotcha' the left wants to play is that any reduction in spending equates to someone 'getting hurt' and offers another opportunity for finger pointing and blame.

We know we have been in a state of crisis for years now. Where are the efforts to trim budgets and eliminate waste? The answer is nowhere. The bureaucrats are hanging their hopes on us remaining malleable and gullible, and to continue to live on borrowed money and borrowed time.

I'm not so old (or so silly) as to have forgotten that if I jump up into the air, no matter how much I desire to remain floating, or how hard I hope, sooner or later (more like sooner!) I'm gonna come back to Earth. Oppressives often choose not to believe that law of nature. That doesn't excuse them from being subject to the law.

The laws of Economics aren't as elementary as the law of gravity. There are many more ways in which dishonest people can hide or distort the manifestations of the laws, but sooner or later those selfsame laws take their measure and run their course.

One of those laws of Economics is that you can live on borrowed money - but only for a limited period, and only at a great expense. See, that wasn't so hard, was it? Obey the law and resort to deficit spending only for a short duration, only as a planned expenditure, and only as a last resort and you'll most likely make out just fine.

Try living on credit cards and you'll find yourself out on the street soon enough.

Every day that we deny the truth and continue to spend what we cannot pay for is one day sooner to when we collapse our economy - perhaps irretrievably. That is why I look at that man, standing there lying to us, and get......irritable. He's not a stupid man. Although there are universes of things that he does not know, he knows that what I say is true.

And he's not alone in his arrogance. The entirety of his party is just as dishonest and venal as he is. And the pubbies? Not much better. Their approach to this crisis is not unlike the alcoholic enabler who thinks that they can control the disease.

Meanwhile, all I can do is attempt to get my meager resources in order in anticipation of the inevitable crash and carp about the pathetic losers we have as 'leaders'.

Patooie!

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 08:56:53 AM »

A comment on the prisons.
There is no reason for them to cost a penny.  Until LBJ many prisons were self sustaining and self supporting, the prisoners worked in the fields or maintenance and mechanical etc.  The crops and beef were their food and profit from other sales paid the utilities and the guards. Very few needs were outsourced.  Of course, back then they were referred to as criminals and by being such their rights as a citizen were forfeit.

One of those laws of Economics is that you can live on borrowed money - but only for a limited period, and only at a great expense. See, that wasn't so hard, was it? Obey the law and resort to deficit spending only for a short duration, only as a planned expenditure, and only as a last resort and you'll most likely make out just fine.

Try living on credit cards and you'll find yourself out on the street soon enough.

Every day that we deny the truth and continue to spend what we cannot pay for is one day sooner to when we collapse our economy - perhaps irretrievably. That is why I look at that man, standing there lying to us, and get......irritable. He's not a stupid man. Although there are universes of things that he does not know, he knows that what I say is true.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 09:14:24 AM »
I watched a little bit of Frank Luntz on Hannity last night. Apparently he brought in House and Senate leadership one-by-one to sit before the focus group.

One fella that interested me was the Majority Whip, Kevin McCarthy. A woman from a military family spoke out against the GOP's willingness to look at cutting defense spending as part of a deal. His response was succinct and educational for those who may not be as in-tune with things as we all may be. I'll paraphrase.

He basically said, think of education spending. (He was obviously going on the assumption that government schools exist and aren't going anywhere, a point which I would rather not assume, but for the sake of relaying his argument I'll avoid my preference). We want the right amount of resources directed to actually educating our kids. Students, learning resources, and teachers. But the bureaucracy in the Department of Education is bloated with salaries that average over $100,000. Does anyone think we could not cut spending there, if given a choice between cutting spending on what we think needs funding, or cutting bureaucracy?

He then made a parallel point to the Pentagon, which easily translates to all federal bureaucracies.

I could see a few light bulbs going off for some in the focus group, and the Luntz approval-meter graph showed high marks from both Democrats and Republicans in the group.

The GOP needs to begin articulating a plan for slicing up and eliminating the federal bureaucracies. They are VERY unpopular right now, especially as Obama unleashes them to do his bidding as an end-around the legislative process.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 11:21:36 AM »

A comment on the prisons.
There is no reason for them to cost a penny.  Until LBJ many prisons were self sustaining and self supporting, the prisoners worked in the fields or maintenance and mechanical etc.  The crops and beef were their food and profit from other sales paid the utilities and the guards. Very few needs were outsourced.  Of course, back then they were referred to as criminals and by being such their rights as a citizen were forfeit.

Now we can't do that Charles - we would be invading union turf and stepping on union toes. Or displacing the illegals from their "the jobs Americans won't do" scam~o~rama.  ::doh::

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 11:31:01 AM »
I watched a little bit of Frank Luntz on Hannity last night...

In a discussion with one of my brothers yesterday I whined (!) about the missed opportunities that the GOP'ers by not taking their case to the public more effectively. He challenged my assertion, stating that he had seen interviews by Newt, Morris, Cantor (among others).....on Fox.

I replied that Fox was alright for the party faithful (barely) but what about the people who don't (won't) watch Fox. Each day the pubbies have trotted out before the cameras (all the cameras) and then wasted their opportunity by finger-pointing. They could have been articulating a carefully crafted set of messages to their audience which might have survived the editors cut.

I maintain that there hasn't been an individual, much less an agency or outlet, that has laid out the issue, presented the options, and advised to the consequences to dummies like me.

People won't GAS if they don't hold a chance of understanding.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 01:23:36 PM »
The only people willing to tell the truth are ridiculed as fringe, and the genteel wing of the GOP is more than happy to play along with that. I am convinced that most GOP senators are more comfortable contemplating a future cooperating with Harry Reid than they are in working to create a future envisioned by the bold conservatives who are trying to bring us back from the brink of extinction.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 02:36:27 PM »
The only people willing to tell the truth are ridiculed as fringe, and the genteel wing of the GOP is more than happy to play along with that. I am convinced that most GOP senators are more comfortable contemplating a future cooperating with Harry Reid than they are in working to create a future envisioned by the bold conservatives who are trying to bring us back from the brink of extinction.

Certainly shaping up that way, isn't it?  Congressional members of the GOP are not going to be exempt from the coming crash, albeit a tad better insulated, and it is my contention they are putting off the inevitable pain for their own sakes.

Working with the Oppressives, they think, will provide a shield.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 10:08:16 AM »

Exactly why they only pay lip service to Senators Lee, DeMint and Paul. Joe Miller would be amongst them if Lisa Murkowski the princess brat would have found something other than interfering in people's lives to do.

Having the republic back on it's traditional course will give these RINO's a severe case of heartburn that even the purple pill won't be able to relieve it.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 05:59:36 PM »
Even if the Bloomberg numbers are right, that was easy...there does not have to be a default, period.  And even within categories a better mix of priorities can be made to shed duplication and bloated bureaucracy to create more savings.  But Obama & Co don't won't to go there, they'd rather demagogue the issue and they think if they can blow enough smoke out of their butts and get the Repub's to fold they'll make it past 2012 and it will be campaign mode 24/7/365 running the same sick game plan.  And their game plan can only mean doom for America!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.