Author Topic: Berkey light water filters  (Read 1478 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Berkey light water filters
« on: February 20, 2011, 03:43:56 PM »
You're gonna like it.
Post by johnflorida on Feb 5, 2011, 11:22pm

http://directive21.com/crown-berkey.html

Re: You're gonna like it.
Post by libertasinfinitio on Feb 6, 2011, 12:32pm

That looks pretty top of the line and would be nice to have.

But for people who want to save a few bucks and still get a good unit that can produce 13 gal/day there is this -

http://www.nitro-pak.com/katadyn-gravidyn-drip-filter-ceramic-carbon

We have 2.

Post by johnflorida on Feb 6, 2011, 1:35pm

Feb 6, 2011, 12:32pm, libertasinfinitio wrote:
That looks pretty top of the line and would be nice to have.

But for people who want to save a few bucks and still get a good unit that can produce 13 gal/day there is this -

http://www.nitro-pak.com/katadyn-gravidyn-drip-filter-ceramic-carbon

We have 2.

You can get water anyplace to filter and second you don't have to add bleach?

Post by libertasinfinitio on Feb 6, 2011, 1:57pm

Bleach is typically used only to clean kitchen-grade plastics and such, beyond that the filters handle the rest. We have access to fresh lake water and also plan to catch rainfall as well. This is to backup our secondary well that is going to have a manual backup pump.

As with all filtration, the dirtier your source, the more rapidly you'll burn through your filters effectiveness. Katadyn has been making different sized products for quite some time and are used by SEALS, Spec Op's & Marines...this is just a larger unit employing the same technology.

Buying extra filters are a must.

Interestingly, the incorporation of silver is not new, if you know anybody old enough, they may be able to tell you how rainwater was purified by keeping silver dollars in rain barrels. Silver attracts and breaks down contaminants.

Post by charlesoakwood on Feb 6, 2011, 4:56pm

Interestingly, the incorporation of silver is not new, if you know anybody old enough, they may be able to tell you how rainwater was purified by keeping silver dollars in rain barrels. Silver attracts and breaks down contaminants.

Old technology you can't find on the internet.

They also used mercury to clean other barrels then somehow used potatoes to clean the mercury. I think that info doesn't exist either.

Post by glock32 on Feb 6, 2011, 5:29pm

Silver also has a natural anti microbial property. I believe tin does as well.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 03:45:29 PM by Pandora »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"