Author Topic: Eisenhower's 1961 warning  (Read 1405 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Eisenhower's 1961 warning
« on: July 15, 2011, 10:07:43 AM »
In Eisenhower's 1961 farewell speech, he famously cautioned that "(we) must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex."  The liberals have latched onto that expression, the "military-industrial complex", ever since.

But there is a lesser known part of the same speech, warning against a complex of a different sort. Perhaps we could call it the "bureaucracy-academia complex":

"The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present and is gravely to be regarded. Yet, in holding scientific research and discovery in respect, as we should, we must also be alert to the equal and opposite danger that public policy could itself become the captive of a scientific-technological elite."

I'd say that this echo from 50 years ago describes, and very aptly, the state of public policy today.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
Re: Eisenhower's 1961 warning
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 10:18:09 AM »
Many people don't know that in Eisenhower's original draft of that speech he recognized it as a "Triad" of sorts calling it "The Military , Industrial , Congressional Complex" . Unfortunately , men in his Brain Trust read that in the rough draft and just about had a cow . They convinced him to leave Congress out of the equation since it would be next to impossible to work with them later if he left it in . Eisenhower did so but never changed his mind  about Congress' participation in the deadly mix .

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 10:26:50 AM »
And is there anything more indicative of the Sci-Tech elite run amok than the whole AGW/Climate Change boondoggle?!

::mooning::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 02:53:50 PM »
And is there anything more indicative of the Sci-Tech elite run amok than the whole AGW/Climate Change boondoggle?!

::mooning::

Weeellllll, there is the food science sector, wherein periodic instructional edicts are issued based on questionably "scientific" studies, warning against this or that food as empty calories, obesity-inducing,  or otherwise toxic.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 03:33:39 PM »

And the science of save the salamander don't drill here.  Save the smitghenth no coal mining here.
No coal fired generators there.  Don't light that lamp my friend.  Internal combustion engines that run on Kool Aid.  Oh the science, owe the science, ouch the science.

And the damns, they hold back natural progress and are anti-science, anti- earth.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 03:36:24 PM »
I am so damned disenheartened and depressed right now.

I believe I'll go take a nap.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"