Author Topic: Righthaven Fined $5K For Lying To Court  (Read 1326 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Righthaven Fined $5K For Lying To Court
« on: July 18, 2011, 09:49:52 PM »
LINK

U.S. District Judge Roger Hunt of Nevada last month ordered Righthaven explain why Hunt should not sanction it for trying to “manufacture standing.” (.pdf) Standing is a legal concept that has enabled Righthaven to bring about 200-plus lawsuits over copyrighted articles and photos owned by news agency Stephens Media.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Righthaven Fined $5K For Lying To Court
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 09:55:39 PM »
Five thousand??!  That's all??!  For all the grief they've caused?!

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 10:05:19 PM »
Five thousand??!  That's all??!  For all the grief they've caused?!

Just loosing the floodgates (let'r rip!)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 10:08:11 PM »
No doubt. $5K is just a cost of doing business. Might as well have given them a pat on the ass, a wink, and a "you know what to do".
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 03:48:18 AM »
I am sure that the judge sanctioned them an amount that was reasonable for the situation.

That isn't the important thing. The important thing is that Righthaven has been judged to have no standing. That means that they cannot bring these cases before a court.

The important thing is that this amounts to a death sentence for Righthaven's business model.

It may also mean that they can be successfully countersued for previous actions. Don't know...I'm not a legal beagle.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 07:12:59 AM »
I am sure that the judge sanctioned them an amount that was reasonable for the situation.

That isn't the important thing. The important thing is that Righthaven has been judged to have no standing. That means that they cannot bring these cases before a court.

The important thing is that this amounts to a death sentence for Righthaven's business model.

It may also mean that they can be successfully countersued for previous actions. Don't know...I'm not a legal beagle.

I hope you're right Trap. I'm no lawyer, but I know that if there's one thing consistent with lawyers, it is their proclivity for finding wiggle-room. This ruling could mean that they were found to have attempted to manufacture standing in one particular case, and may not necessarily ruin their model for all cases unless they try to manufacture standing in the same way in the eyes of every judge they face. Idunno, as I said, I'm no lawyer. But those POS's need to be hammered big time.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 07:40:17 AM »
I echo these same fears, the hammer did not come down hard enough, there will be more bullying and until the hammer falls hard it will be SSDD.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.