Author Topic: Walnuts are Drug, Says FDA  (Read 888 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Walnuts are Drug, Says FDA
« on: July 21, 2011, 07:07:36 PM »
Seen any walnuts in your medicine cabinet lately? According to the Food and Drug Administration, that is precisely where you should find them. Because Diamond Foods made truthful claims about the health benefits of consuming walnuts that the FDA didn’t approve, it sent the company a letter declaring, “Your walnut products are drugs” — and “new drugs” at that — and, therefore, “they may not legally be marketed … in the United States without an approved new drug application.” The agency even threatened Diamond with “seizure” if it failed to comply.

Diamond’s transgression was to make “financial investments to educate the public and supply them with walnuts,” as William Faloon of Life Extension magazine put it. On its website and packaging, the company stated that the omega-3 fatty acids found in walnuts have been shown to have certain health benefits, including reduced risk of heart disease and some types of cancer. These claims, Faloon notes, are well supported by scientific research: “Life Extension has published 57 articles that describe the health benefits of walnuts”; and “The US National Library of Medicine database contains no fewer than 35 peer-reviewed published papers supporting a claim that ingesting walnuts improves vascular health and may reduce heart attack risk.”

This evidence was apparently not good enough for the FDA, which told Diamond that its walnuts were “misbranded” because the “product bears health claims that are not authorized by the FDA.”

The FDA’s letter continues:

http://thenewamerican.com/usnews/health-care/8294-walnuts-are-drugs-says-fda

H/T jpsfudimo

The FDA, serving and protecting.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

Re: Walnuts are Drug, Says FDA
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 09:15:53 PM »
I love walnuts, local store puts them on sale about every six weeks,  mmmmmmmmm.

I guess McDonald's (I ate there today) is safe because their food is labeled "junk food".   ::hysterical::

I'll have two double cheeseburgers, a small fry, a vanilla cone, and a large sweet tea, thank you.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 09:19:19 PM »
Unbelievable. But then, it's an entrepreneurial American company that processes more walnuts than any company in the world, so it's only logical that the Barack Hussein Obama administration would seek to destroy it.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 09:47:17 PM »
The regulatory state now runs so amok that it has totally cowed its supposed overseers, the people's supposed representatives.

We're seeing now what Jefferson meant by the fundamental right to alter or abolish a form of government, because no matter how crafty they try to get in making it seem as if what they are doing is technically within the bounds of the Constitution (we of course know better), what really matters is the empirical reality where the citizen interfaces with the state. Now you literally interface with the state every time your ass interfaces with a toilet seat, its tentacles of regulation have invaded your daily existence to such an extent. No, it doesn't matter how many circuit courts uphold this insanity through their novel divinations of Constitutional intent, what matters is that we have a government that has become too onerous a burden on the very people who are its supposed masters. The regulatory state has become such a burden and so intimidating to all and sundry in its way that the people's only official recourse, the election of representatives, has become all but meaningless (witness just how much "change" last November's historic midterms gained us; exactly).

We're just in that sort of limbo, between the point where it was once possible to reign in government through elections and the point where people start feeling like they have little left to lose.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 10:01:24 PM »
We're just in that sort of limbo, between the point where it was once possible to reign in government through elections and the point where people start feeling like they have little left to lose.

What else do "people" need to lose before they start feeling it.  The sense of loss is, to me, already pervasive.

/rhetorical
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 10:23:07 PM »
*sigh*

I know. The gutless, craven, bend-over by the Republican "leadership" over the past 2 weeks -- while expected -- has me feeling about as hopeless as ever. We do everything we're supposed to, we give them huge victories, and what do we get for it? ObamaCare repeal vote sent up separately to die a predictable death without having some leverage attached to it. "Oh well! We tried! I guess we can cross that one off the list now." Even the freakin' repeal of the incandescent light bulb ban was sent to the floor for a fast track vote that required a super majority. Again, predictable death. This is nothing more than a transparent sop to conservatives. I can just see Boehner and McConnell making the sarcastic masturbatory hand gesture while rolling their eyes when the subject of conservative policies come up.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 10:53:55 PM »
*sigh*

I know. The gutless, craven, bend-over by the Republican "leadership" over the past 2 weeks -- while expected -- has me feeling about as hopeless as ever. We do everything we're supposed to, we give them huge victories, and what do we get for it? ObamaCare repeal vote sent up separately to die a predictable death without having some leverage attached to it. "Oh well! We tried! I guess we can cross that one off the list now." Even the freakin' repeal of the incandescent light bulb ban was sent to the floor for a fast track vote that required a super majority. Again, predictable death. This is nothing more than a transparent sop to conservatives. I can just see Boehner and McConnell making the sarcastic masturbatory hand gesture while rolling their eyes when the subject of conservative policies come up.

And I can see me breaking their f**king faces while happening upon them doing it.

They're still humoring us and further binding us to servitude while they do so.

Peaceful ain't cuttin' it.  I'm sorry, but there it is.

I will NOT be dismissed.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 10:59:11 PM »

Those 15 or 20% moderates who moved to the TeaParty are being reported as going soft.  Which way they go will have a huge political affect.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 11:18:42 PM »
Point made.  Thanks, CO.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 07:18:35 AM »
What does FDA stand for?  Fat, Drunk & Arrogant?

::)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.