Author Topic: PIGS Update  (Read 6866 times)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Re: PIGS Update
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 11:39:42 PM »
One of my all-time favorite music videos.

NEW FRONTIER - DONALD FAGEN ( ! ORIGINAL VIDEO ! )
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2011, 07:25:32 AM »
Italy has issues, roiled the markets yesterday.  A decade of high unemployment and zero growth will do that...and a 120% debt ratio!

::exitstageleft::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 08:42:35 AM »
Italy has issues, roiled the markets yesterday.  A decade of high unemployment and zero growth will do that...and a 120% debt ratio!

::exitstageleft::

Why you running away?It is what it is.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2011, 11:34:42 AM »
Not me running...the market...they got spooked!  I'm just stating the reason is all...

Oh, and escape is not fully possible, when we are deep in bed with many of these troubled Euro banks...so...

::lalanotlistening::

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 12:10:45 PM »
Not me running...the market...they got spooked!  I'm just stating the reason is all...

Oh, and escape is not fully possible, when we are deep in bed with many of these troubled Euro banks...so...

::lalanotlistening::

Looks like the market is up a hair.I'm getting nailed.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2011, 12:24:04 PM »
SH's favorite rating agency kicks Ireland's paper to junk...

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2011/07/12/us-stock-futures-slip-amid-debt-contagion-worries/

Italy's financing costs rise...

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/487bc3a0-ac67-11e0-bac9-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1S0RbIqJL

...and the markets squirm...

...dontchya like a predicitable script?!

::)

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2011, 07:17:48 AM »
Italy worsens -

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/summarizing-collapse-italian-banking-sector-one-chart?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+zerohedge%2Ffeed+%28zero+hedge+-+on+a+long+enough+timeline%2C+the+survival+rate+for+everyone+drops+to+zero%29

Maybe we could save Sicily, there was an attempt (not a serious one, more driven by Sicilians than Americans) to make it a territory after WWII.  I bet given the choice they'd rather join us than go down with the boot!

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2011, 09:42:38 AM »
Italy worsens -

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/summarizing-collapse-italian-banking-sector-one-chart?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+zerohedge%2Ffeed+%28zero+hedge+-+on+a+long+enough+timeline%2C+the+survival+rate+for+everyone+drops+to+zero%29

Maybe we could save Sicily, there was an attempt (not a serious one, more driven by Sicilians than Americans) to make it a territory after WWII.  I bet given the choice they'd rather join us than go down with the boot!

Not that it will ever happen but Sicilians never gave up on that.Just as an aside most Sicilians don't consider themselves Italians and vice versa.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2011, 11:24:31 AM »
Italy worsens -

Not that it will ever happen but Sicilians never gave up on that.Just as an aside most Sicilians don't consider themselves Italians and vice versa.

If I were Sicilian I think would be more than OK with that!

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 03:05:16 PM »
Italy worsens -

Northern Italians always considered us hicks and we always considered them azzholes.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2011, 07:12:17 AM »
Italy worsens -

Northern Italians always considered us hicks and we always considered them azzholes.

Sounds familiar.

:P

Don't mean to go off topic, perhaps this is better answered in the Food section, but how does Sicilian food differ from mainland cuisine?  I guess both like pasta and such, is it mostly sauce flavorings and the like that are different?

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2011, 09:40:22 AM »
Italy worsens -

Sounds familiar.

Don't mean to go off topic, perhaps this is better answered in the Food section, but how does Sicilian food differ from mainland cuisine?  I guess both like pasta and such, is it mostly sauce flavorings and the like that are different?

It's changed over the years but when I was there one of the huge differences that you would see was butter,in the north and olive oil in the south biggest reason was regions . The had dairy cattle we had olives.Refrigeration wasn't even that common in the south and that was the late 50s.

As a matter of fact my grand father was the first to get a fridge only because he had the money to pay the power company to run a line from the main drag to his street and to his house and buy a fridge. Soon after there were more houses with electricity because they could hook up to the line he had to pay for if he wanted a fridge and electric lights.

That in it's self may seem strange to most people here butthe real strange part was that he only kept what was going to be the meal of the day and water in it under lock and key. So even with all that expense my grandmother still shopped every day.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2011, 11:38:29 AM »
Italy worsens -

Sounds familiar.

It's changed over the years but when I was there one of the huge differences that you would see was butter,in the north and olive oil in the south biggest reason was regions . The had dairy cattle we had olives.Refrigeration wasn't even that common in the south and that was the late 50s.

As a matter of fact my grand father was the first to get a fridge only because he had the money to pay the power company to run a line from the main drag to his street and to his house and buy a fridge. Soon after there were more houses with electricity because they could hook up to the line he had to pay for if he wanted a fridge and electric lights.

That in it's self may seem strange to most people here butthe real strange part was that he only kept what was going to be the meal of the day and water in it under lock and key. So even with all that expense my grandmother still shopped every day.

I have nothing against butter but olive oil is healthier and pretty versatile.

::thumbsup::

Your grandfather sounds like a character, I bet there are more stories about him!

;)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2011, 12:04:35 PM »
Italy worsens -

Sounds familiar.

I have nothing against butter but olive oil is healthier and pretty versatile.

::thumbsup::

Your grandfather sounds like a character, I bet there are more stories about him!

;)

Actually he was quite the good guy very respected and a pillar of the comunity (more than half the town relied on him for their incomes for what that's worth. But the one on my mothers side was the hellion gambler womanizer par excellence.He died alone for as much fun as he was about town he was worthless as a Father and husband.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2011, 02:39:19 PM »
Get a load of this...Italy "liberalizing" their economy entails -

Making a balanced budget mandatory, force “closed professions” to liberalise services, speed up welfare reforms, and other structural reforms designed to boost Italy’s stagnant economy.  Cuts in salaries of elected officials and subsidies to political parties are also on the agenda.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/33c589d8-bf7b-11e0-90d5-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1UBVSlIGe

We should be so fortunate to be seriously discussing such liberalization!

::unknowncomic::

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2011, 03:27:53 PM »
  That's today wait till the moochers get the memo and Berlusconi will get hit with another vote of no confidence and they will try yet again to dump him.
 Filippo Mazzie