Author Topic: Amy Winehouse dead at 27  (Read 7764 times)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Amy Winehouse dead at 27
« on: July 23, 2011, 01:25:58 PM »
Never saw that coming.

I've seen pictures of her when she was about 17 or 18 and she was stunningly beautiful.  But drugs and alcohol took their toll, not to mention the tattoos.  RIP.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Amy Winehouse dead at 27
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 02:07:06 PM »
I have to admit when I heard this news I was not shocked.

Too bad, 27.  Too bad nobody could help her get a hold of her life.

But, you have to want to help yourself though too.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

hemm

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 05:46:47 PM »
reap:sow...........

Not feeling the sympathy pangs on this one........

More people will probably feel more sorry for her than Caylee Anthony......... pity, that.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 06:52:38 PM by hemm »

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 06:23:35 PM »
A lot of people walk their path of self destruction in the public eye. Some pull out of the nosedive, and some don't.

It's a pity, because this girl had real natural talent, a unique style, and old soul, and a voice that was quirky and interesting to listen to. She was pretty in her own way too, at least in the beginning before she became ruined by her addiction.

Not surprised in the least little bit.

Amy Winehouse - Rehab

Amy Winehouse - Rehab (Yahoo! New Now)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 06:28:21 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 08:17:59 PM »
reap:sow...........

Not feeling the sympathy pangs on this one........

More people will probably feel more sorry for her than Caylee Anthony......... pity, that.

True dat!
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 12:38:13 AM »
I confess that I didn't know who she was.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 08:29:55 AM »

She was more visible as tabloid fodder than anything. I keep up at least peripherally with what's going on in the music world, so I knew her as a musician before her fame and subsequent crash. Like so many before her, she had a unique talent, and could have done so much more with it if not for drugs and alcohol.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 09:37:11 AM »
I've just never heard anything quite like it, yet it invokes so much of what's gone before...

_Amy Winehouse - Me And Mr. Jones. (with lyrics)

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 09:46:21 AM »
Great link, IDP.  I never really followed her or her music, but had heard that she could be quite brilliant once upon a time.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 09:51:18 AM »
What a waste.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 09:58:06 AM »
She pulled it off live, too - 110%, at least for a time.

Amy Winehouse - "Rehab" Live on David Letterman

And a more intimate live performance...

Amy Winehouse - Love is a Losing Game

:-[

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 12:14:15 PM »
U2 did a little tribute to her during last nights concert, I really don't know her songs but it was called Stuck in a Moment.  Since this was fresh news they had to throw this together quick, basically Bono singing and The Edge playing acoustic.  I find it ironic she had a song titled Rehab.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 01:23:16 PM »

You can add me to that list. After watching the video IDP posted, though, she seemed to be a real talent. Why is it most "artists" are strange?
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 11:10:29 PM »
Lots of musicians seem to die at the age of 27 for some reason. Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain, and others. There's even a Wikipedia article called the 27 Club.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 10:07:15 AM »
That's quite a list.

Is it just me or is it a little creepy that two people associated with Courtney Love are on that list?

::exitstageleft::

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 02:39:37 AM »
...I've seen pictures of her when she was about 17 or 18 and she was stunningly beautiful...

It's always a mystery to me, wondering how and where things go so wrong for people.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 11:47:13 AM »
...I've seen pictures of her when she was about 17 or 18 and she was stunningly beautiful...

It's always a mystery to me, wondering how and where things go so wrong for people.

It starts with  instant gratification then moves to the lack of shame the lack of consequences for their actions and the laws that protect their rights so parents can't do a damned thing to help them get it out of their system and you end up with  powerless parents and out of control kids and when it gets past a certain point there is no helping them only waiting for the hellish end and the endless questions of parents asking what did I do wrong and how did we get here.

::rant::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 02:29:53 PM »
I remember a few years back reading about her.  From what I read it seemed inevitable that this would be the headline for her. 
Everyone quoted in the article seemed to think she would die soon if she didn't get help. So sad.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 02:55:57 PM »
Per a piece I ran across in People, her family believes she died from cold-turkey quitting the booze.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 03:25:32 PM »
Per a piece I ran across in People, her family believes she died from cold-turkey quitting the booze.

I would imagine a coroner's report would confirm or debunk that, eh? Can't imagine that bit of info would not become public knowledge.

- Thomas Jefferson