Author Topic: A discussion of priorities: prepping/generators/ham radio  (Read 17339 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: A discussion of priorities
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2011, 02:40:06 PM »
Re: A Discussion of Priorities
Post by charlesoakwood on Oct 28, 2010, 11:17pm

There is confusion about TSHTF.
Will it be internal, external (from abroad), NBC, random?
When one plans: is the plan for a week, a month, or a protracted period?
Each one of these situations requires a different plan. Having each plan meld into the larger/longer plan would be ideal.
We have been talking techniques as in tactics which may be applied to one strategy better than the other.

I too believe that when it happens it will be quick and unexpected. (from the blind side) There will be no time to think.
Whether long or short term the household must go militant; it must have a plan, a contingency plan, rehearsed assignments (a five year old can have an assignment and do it well), and a chain of command. If these things do not exist you might as well enjoy your time and money elsewhere.

Expect cities to be chaos. The highways will be stalled and most interurban areas will resemble the LA-RIOTS.
My plan was to recognize the signs before it hit the radio (suitcase nuke was my threat) and be on the road in fifteen minutes.
I would be on a highway before mass awareness and ahead of the traffic jam.

Radios historically are the most reliable communicator. The emergency GMRS / FRS hand held radios are attractive. Base stations are also available with this setup. This setup is modest in cost relative to a ham. Ideally one would have mobile HAM, CB, and handhelds, this would enable the group to communicate and to listen/communicate with other prepared folks.

This may be a good idea Eton COMBOBASECAMP-KIT American Red Cross FR1000 and Uniden GMR1035 Two-way Emergency Handcrank Radio Base Camp Kit. Spend a little time on the internet & you can purchase the FR 1000 and better 2 ways.
Not that the Red Cross is a bad deal, you can get real FRS 2watt + for just a little more money.

libertas, if you have any radio hints and tips they would be appreciated

"Then get slowly prepared baby steps work too. For each one you take you're that much further ahead." Indeed.

A book, "The Great Reckoning: Protecting Yourself in the Coming Depression - Jame Dale Davidson and Lord William Rees-Mog authors" published in the early 90s when into detail about the decline of America and finding and choosing a safe and practical area to live.

If it is the endtimes just do it all with love.

Post by libertasinfinitio on Oct 29, 2010, 7:05am

You are right Charles. My clan has been and continues to be preparing for longer-term disruptions. I think most of us here can withstand short-term natural disaster type situations, it is a lot harder to prepare for something more protracted, given your means, size of clan and varying degrees of committment. If it is something unrecoverable ie-Armageddon/End Times, hug the family. If it is protatracted chaos that can be survivable for the prepared, then prepare as best you can. In this latter case you have to assume there is no power grid etc and that you have to rely upon your own preparations for food, shelter, heat, medical and communication. I think the HAM radio way for the latter is the best, but even if you have low-power GMRS/FMS units, they can be good up to a few miles given how much interference there is between you and another. I am just starting down the HAM radio road and have not begun to study for the license, there may be others around here with more knowledge on that score than I. There are some good links on the subject out there, survivalist blog, Grouchey's etc. My brother and I bought a pair of Yaesu FT-270R's. They are a mobile hand-held 5w that we can use and get 4-5 x's the range of GMRS/FMS depending upon interference. The nice thing about hand-helds is they are more affordable, you can hook up larger antenna's for home or auto use and as such provide the most felxibility. By going to mobile units in auto for example you can get units that up the power to 50 or 75w, but they are bulkier if you convert them to field radios to tote around, plus you need a power source. That's about the limit of my knowledge right now. As I get deeper into this I can report back with more info.

Edited to add - links for my radio -

http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=Dis....65&isArchived=0

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/5270.htmlRe: A Discussion of Priorities
Post by johnflorida on Oct 29, 2010, 8:11pm

I came up with a battery charging system that is as simple as using solar powered lawn lights to recharge AA batteries.

It was by accident. I wasn't sure if the light was no good or the batteries. I shut the light off and left it in the sun and the bulb was shot but the batteries were charged up when I tried them in another light.

So I keep a couple around just to charge batteries I use in flashlights.Saves running the generator to charge batteries.Re: A Discussion of Priorities
Post by nolan on Oct 29, 2010, 8:30pm

Neat trick JF!Re: A Discussion of Priorities
Post by michelleo on Oct 29, 2010, 9:09pm

Oct 28, 2010, 4:12pm, johnflorida wrote:
Wing nuts are only wing nuts when nothing happens.If it happens were geniuses.

gotta love despair.com

(I haven't yet read through the 5 page thread. Forgive me if someone else posted that quote first.)
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Re: A discussion of priorities
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 02:40:48 PM »
Post by alphabetsoup on Oct 30, 2010, 10:32am

Oct 28, 2010, 11:29am, coftas wrote:
I read all 5 pages so far... and it's left me dizzy.

One could read this thread and conclude that all of the members here are a bunch of "wingnuts" waiting for Armageddon with bated breath.....

coftas - Those who would read this thread about preparedness and view it as twisted Ode to Armageddon are sadly missing the point.

There isn't a single one of use here who look upon the potential collapse of society as anything other than a disastrous failure. Leftists feeeel that we yearn for such a turn, or somehow wish to LIHOP (Let It Happen On Purpose) - if there are such folk around I surely do not know them.

In one of my comments upstream I used the phrase "how I'm wired". What I meant by it was that my thinking, my reactions and my rationalizations are a result of how I was raised. My old man marched through Europe in WW II and was a survivor. He taught his kids how to be survivors as well. His training was diabolically clever - he called it......camping.

We would go camping every chance we could. We would get away from the relative comforts of home and into the woods where we would "play" at adapting, inventing, improvising, and communing.

The lessons I learned as a child carried with me into my adult years.

What we are considering should be separated by why we are considering it.

What we are considering is our survival under hostile conditions, be they natural calamity, social upheaval, or the result of a terrorist action.

Why we are considering it is because this nation has little (I have zero) faith in the leadership of our current regime. It it my opinion that that man has not only made us less safe than we were two years ago, but has placed us at the brink of a cataclysm.

If it comes (for me it is "when") I do not wish to be at the mercy of the state. I intend to care for myself and my family, and I am committed to protecting same.

This doesn't mean that I reject every semblance of organized society and intend to go live like a hermit - but it doesn't "not" mean it either, if that is what needs to happen.

The suggestions offered here are just that - suggestions. Ideas that may or may not work for everyone. Another thing that the lefties often ignore is that many of the things we advise are also urged by various agencies within our government.

Check out FEMA's page: http://www.fema.gov/areyouready/
or this one: http://www.ready.gov/
Here's a site from the AVMA on pet preparedness: http://www.avma.org/disaster/

There are tons more just like those. The all offer advice similar to ours - they just don't go as fer as I do. All of them presume a reliance on a government that may or may not be there when you need them (or want them).

I'll stop now before I get too preachy (Oops! Too late!). I appreciate your adding to the comments on this thread and hope to hear more.

~AS~Re: A Discussion of Priorities
Post by rocketman on Nov 2, 2010, 5:08am

Guns.

If ya got guns and ammo, you can take pretty much whatever you want - from non-gun owners of course.

<chuckle>

Post by alans on Nov 17, 2010, 8:27pm

Oct 28, 2010, 11:48am, irondiopriest wrote:
Like you, I see the need. And while I do have resources at my disposal, I am in a marriage partnership that does not provide for autonomy or unilateral decision making. I have convinced my wife that certain provisions for food, water, self-protection, and emergency medical care are wise and necessary.

But the big things, like heat, long-term food & water, perimeter defense, electricity and the like, are thus far giving way to things like painting the walls, new furniture, and saving for Spring vacation. I can't insist on these things without completely disrupting her world. All I can do is continue to educate her, and hopefully, at some point before TSHTF, she will come into agreement with me.

Welcome to the world of marriage. Is your wife related to mine? I have the same dilemma.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: A discussion of priorities: prepping/generators/ham radio
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2015, 12:24:39 PM »
I have a hand-held Yaesu stored in my Faraday cage, but I'd like to get something that could be used as a mobile/base station...

Something like this -

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=h0-010078

And a simple antenna like this -

http://www.2wayelectronix.com/Dual-band-2m-70cm-Slim-Jim-Antenna-with-16-rg-58-DUAL-16.htm;jsessionid=DF38E2D63D3460B6956EE958149A9EF8.m1plqscsfapp05

...I could reach out to perhaps 20 miles.

All stimulating by looking at this article via WRSA -

https://informops.wordpress.com/comms-101/

I like the graphs here too...

Like this  -

And good info, like this reminder: 

Rules:

2 quick FCC rules that everyone should know. 1) Encrypting or otherwise obscuring the meaning of messages while transmitting is illegal. No mafia codes or One Time Pads. 2) Under an “emergency” situation (your interpretation), you are allowed to use “any means necessary” to communicate, including frequencies you do not have a license for (or any license at all), encryption (hide your message from bad guys in the hood listening in), or power beyond legal limits. ‘nuff said.

::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2019, 07:57:53 AM »
Hey, this is interesting...link courtesy of WRSA -

http://thoughtsfromfrankandfern.blogspot.com/2019/04/gmrs-radio-time-to-get-talking.html?m=0

Since the little bubble-wrap hand-held's are max 5w a larger unit like the MXT-400 at 40w would make for a nice base unit run off batteries, base/mobile units for vehicles on land or water...allow different antenna options to increase line-of-sight range.

I'm going to nab one, if not two...and try to get my wayward clan to consider as well.

https://mid.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/79531-469944/GMRS-Radios.html?cid=253826&chid=1600&campaignid=72254416&adgroupid=1340304692975897&adid=83769044915744&targetid=kwd-83769049050696:loc-190&matchtype=e&device=c&network=s&msclkid=ba182b54ba8017312d4677988b4f4177

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2019, 10:41:05 AM »

Is there an easy way to transmit text emails? A hard way?
When the law becomes a ruse, lawlessness becomes legitimate. -unknown

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2021, 09:00:05 AM »
https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/it-only-now-costs-350-3d-print-entire-gun

https://defcad.com

Yea/Nay/Meh?

IMO long process to build a weapon ground up...I would see more benefit for maybe parts/accessories...and wider application for fabricating homestead items needed.  But would need a lot of goo/polymer.  And are these machines really that affordable?  Haven't really looked into this technology closely, maybe others have and can comment.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2022, 10:10:40 AM »
More reason to get your independent power generation plans settled toot-sweet!

https://conservativeplaylist.com/2022/04/15/is-klaus-schwab-in-control-of-the-american-power-grid/

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2022, 11:55:30 AM »
2 trillion!

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/americas-electric-grid-has-2-trillion-problem

Even if...public/private funds made available...there probably is not enough time to improve enough of it to keep it from other risks...as one must hold out the primary risk of EMP attack rending any grid toast...

The wise will plan post-grid options...

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2022, 01:44:20 PM »

I always thought that if US attacked Iran they might have plans or even people in place to take down the grid.
US has been threatening to attack for decades. Near Minneapolis knocking down power lines outside power generators would do nicely. Asymmetric warfare.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2022, 01:58:15 PM »

I always thought that if US attacked Iran they might have plans or even people in place to take down the grid.
US has been threatening to attack for decades. Near Minneapolis knocking down power lines outside power generators would do nicely. Asymmetric warfare.

Little Mogadishu?  Who'd notice?   ::laughonfloor::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2022, 09:36:16 AM »

America is slipping into the abyss as households get a taste of what it's like to live in Venezuela. It's not that far off from what people are experiencing today: soaring inflation, shortages, a ruling regime which so many claim was not elected by the majority and soon, rolling blackouts.

https://www.zerohedge.com/commodities/us-west-risk-power-blackouts-summer-regulator-warns

There's Adelante for ya...   ::outrage::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2022, 08:42:44 AM »
Still sending grid alerts...

https://americafirstreport.com/the-lights-are-about-to-go-out-in-america-warn-grid-experts/

::thinking::

Would this get the illegitimate occupation government off lusting for WWIII with Russia and selling our energy to Euro's & Chi-Com's???

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2022, 10:21:40 AM »

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2022/06/rolling-blackouts-on-the-way.php
 Posted on June 16, 2022 by John Hinderaker in Energy Policy
Rolling Blackouts On the Way

In the recent past, California and Texas have suffered blackouts due to inadequate electricity supply. This year, as the summer heats up, it is the midwestern states served by the Midcontinent Independent Systems Operator (MISO) that are most likely to see their lights go out. Energy expert Isaac Orr explains:

According to [the North American Electric Reliability Corporation], much of the country is at an elevated risk of not having enough electricity to meet peak demand, plus the margin of safety, this summer, but none are at higher risk than MISO.
Why are blackouts suddenly occurring after many decades of reliable energy? Because of profiteering by “green” energy hucksters.

MISO may simply not have enough reliable power plants on the grid this summer after 3,200 megawatts (MW) of reliable power plants, mostly coal and nuclear, retired last year.

This is a scandal. “Green” energy liberals have demanded, successfully, that reliable coal and nuclear plants be closed so they can be replaced by wind farms and solar installations. But those unreliable, intermittent sources can never replace power plants that actually work 24/7. Hence the blackouts that are now beginning, and will become more and more widespread if we continue to rely increasingly on undependable sources of power.

Because of “green” demands that reliable power plants be shuttered, the Midwest now lacks enough reliable electricity to cover peak demand:

MISO says there is a 1,230 MW shortfall in power plant capacity to meet its peak demand and reserve margin, an amount that could power nearly half of the homes in Minnesota on an average hourly basis.
https://the-pipeline.org/green-monomaniacs-in-pursuit-of-the-unattainable/

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2022, 11:10:14 AM »
Being held hostage in MISO...

::outrage::   ::angry::   ::cussing::

Will NOT be in a forgiving mood...

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2022, 11:30:34 AM »
This crap is not sustainable; too many people will start screaming when too many people start dying.

Germany just declared nuclear power as "green" so I figure this is the way it'll go here too ............ hopefully, when Congress changes hands.  Hopefully.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2022, 12:16:39 PM »
More on Texas...their "windmills" no worky worky without wind!  Who knew?   :o

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2022/07/update-texas-grid-operator-takes-emergency-measures-avoid-rolling-blackouts-wind-turbines-fail-produce-energy-due-low-winds/

Just get all those woke Marxist blowhards and sundry leftist/anarchist tribesfolk always butthurt over the reality of life...and have them all screech in the direction of these big stupid windmills!  Problem solved!

Make sure to include this bag of hot stupid gas...

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2022/07/drama-queen-aoc-claims-going-deck-comedian-catcalled-capitol-steps-video-really-happened/

...DonkeyTeeff could oscillate the blades off one of those suckers!   ::laughonfloor::

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2022, 01:03:28 PM »

I'll bet that the current wind speeds were also found in the historical records and not too long ago. So this was predictable.
I recall that electric production from turbines goes up/down with the third power of the wind speed. So
2 MPH gives 8
10 MPH gives 1000
So if wind dropped from 10 to 2 MPH you would need about 100x more turbines to make up for that.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2022, 11:21:16 AM »
I love math, it makes dumb people cry...   :D