Author Topic: Jury awards hijab-wearer 20K in employment suit  (Read 1637 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Jury awards hijab-wearer 20K in employment suit
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 02:37:50 PM »
The courts are undoing the common law concept of freedom of association that is one of the foundational underpinnings of our entire society.

Hire her and then fire her because of the hijab? Perhaps not. I have little sympathy for A & F since they moved her through the interview and hiring process, knowing that she was intending on violating their dress code. But they should be free to hire people and expect them to adhere to a dress code.

The manager who hired her against company policy should be fired.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 07:20:50 PM »
The courts are undoing the common law concept of freedom of association that is one of the foundational underpinnings of our entire society.

Hire her and then fire her because of the hijab? Perhaps not. I have little sympathy for A & F since they moved her through the interview and hiring process, knowing that she was intending on violating their dress code. But they should be free to hire people and expect them to adhere to a dress code.

The manager who hired her against company policy should be fired.

They didn't hire her; she never worked for them.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 07:40:45 PM »
A federal jury awarded $20,000 in compensatory damages Wednesday to a Tulsa woman who was not hired to work at a local Abercrombie Kids store because she wears a headscarf, but jurors opted not to award her any punitive damages.

I have mixed feelings about this.  She should have gotten bupkis, but it's Abercrombie (& Filth) that got smacked.

H/T Gateway Pundit

No internal conflict here - IDK if it is Baraq Øbozo not hiring an average white person - we should have the right to free association. It's positively painful to see the paroxysms and hear the death rattles....this nation is dying and it is perishing from within.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 07:19:55 AM »
If one finds themselves in need of buying some butt-floss panties for their 6 year old daughter, then can now buy them from someone in a headscarf.

You reap what you sew, A&F.  Own it, bitches!