Author Topic: Texas drought reveals space shuttle Columbia tank debris  (Read 1172 times)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Texas drought reveals space shuttle Columbia tank debris
« on: August 03, 2011, 06:24:06 PM »
CAPE CANAVERAL — Wreckage from shuttle Columbia was uncovered in East Texas this week, the result of a prolonged drought lowering water levels in a lake.

The spherical tank, which is about four feet in diameter, is stuck in the mud alongside Lake Nacogdoches.

More than 40 tons of wreckage rained down on a long swath of East Texas and Louisiana as Columbia disintegrated during its atmospheric re-entry in February 2003, killing all seven astronauts.

Lisa Malone, a spokeswoman for NASA's Kennedy Space Center, said the tank was part of Columbia's power-producing fuel cell system.

Link (hat tip Ace of Spades)

We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: Texas drought reveals space shuttle Columbia tank debris
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 06:54:39 PM »
I'm surprised they haven't found more pieces at Toledo Bend. It's roughly 10' below low pool. Lot's of barren ground there now.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 07:00:19 PM »
I'm sure people are looking for them now.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 01:19:19 PM »
That tank was full of hydrazine, a very toxic fuel.  I'm amazed that there are not a lot of animal skeletons around that lake.  Just a little of this stuff will turn your insides to liquid.
Eschew Obfuscation