Author Topic: Major league rift went down at RedState  (Read 10447 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: Major league rift went down at RedState
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2011, 02:08:42 PM »
I have never been able to resolve (what seems to me to be) the contradiction between the theory of evolution and the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics, or entropy.

Entropy (simply stated because I'm not even remotely a scientist) is the natural and inevitable movement of things from an ordered state to a disordered state.  Entropy has been called "time's arrow," in that it establishes what things will be in the future (and why traveling backwards in time is impossible). 

The theory of evolution, on the other hand, suggests that things (in this case, biological entities) become naturally and inevitably more complex over time...that is, creatures evolve from single cell to multi-cell organisms, for example.

I have also been intrigued by Michael Behe's concept of "irreducible complexity."

Further, I do not know that there has ever been a documented case of evolution in a currently living species. Species are becoming extinct all of the time (part of natural selection) and we continue to discover new species but there just does not seem to be any evidence of an existing species undergoing evolution.  It seems that there would be and that it would be a quantifiable situation.

Geological records, on the other hand, are not really interpretable any other way.

Pretty cool paradox, eh?

EDIT: 

And, opening up yet another can of worms, it seems to me that natural selection and the theory of evolution would demand that homosexuality would be an evolutionary dead end and would have ceased to exist as an inherited trait thousands of years ago.  I find this amusing because on the one hand you have those who insist that homosexuality is strictly behavioral (i.e. a lifestyle choice) and on the other hand you have those (usually militant homosexual advocates) who insist that it is in their genes and they have no choice in the matter whatsoever.

Curiously, the militant homosexual advocates seem to come down on the side of supporting evolution I suppose because it eliminates the presence of a deity (and the inevitable moral consequences thereof) from their lives.  And yet, it also seems that evolutionary science would tend to dictate that homosexuality cannot and should not exist.  Further, with the advent of DNA decoding and genetic mapping, militant homosexuals seem to be, mostly, extremely opposed to the identification of a "homosexual gene."  I have heard that their opposition stems from the notion that they would be able to be "identified" through genetic testing, effectively outing them, and also that prospective parents might genetically engineer any trace of homosexuality out of their future children. 

The left is quite fond of saying how science can be quite troubling when it gets in the way of one's dogma and yet they have no trouble whatsoever ignoring that same thought when they run up against it.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 02:26:59 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2011, 03:52:38 PM »
OK Trap, I deem thee Mr. Paradox!   ;D

What's with all the facts and logic?  Don't ya know this just infuriates the Left?!   ::pokeineye::

And bringing up homosexuality!  Now all the heterophobes will be gunning for us!    ::thinking::

May thy stick always be sharp and pointy!   ::pokeineye::

::thumbsup::

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2011, 08:48:57 PM »

What's with all the facts and logic?  Don't ya know this just infuriates the Left?!   ::pokeineye::

And bringing up homosexuality!  Now all the heterophobes will be gunning for us!    ::thinking::

Just questions that I would like to see posed by someone, anyone with a microphone.  I'm not holding my breath. 
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2011, 10:05:39 PM »

Just questions that I would like to see posed by someone, anyone with a microphone.  I'm not holding my breath. 

I hear ya.  It's one of the reasons I find it difficult to watch Hannity's show...I like him personally, but that guy has to have the record for missed home run opportunities...follow up's on libiot absurdities that should be obliterated easily...I can't take that kind of frustration so I seldom watch his show any longer...

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2011, 10:14:21 PM »
OK Trap, I deem thee Mr. Paradox!   ;D

What's with all the facts and logic?  Don't ya know this just infuriates the Left?!   ::pokeineye::

And bringing up homosexuality!  Now all the heterophobes will be gunning for us!    ::thinking::

May thy stick always be sharp and pointy!   ::pokeineye::

Just questions that I would like to see posed by someone, anyone with a microphone.  I'm not holding my breath.  

I hear ya.  It's one of the reasons I find it difficult to watch Hannity's show...I like him personally, but that guy has to have the record for missed home run opportunities...follow up's on libiot absurdities that should be obliterated easily...I can't take that kind of frustration so I seldom watch his show any longer...

Hannity has a formula. It works.  So he doesn't think there is any room for improvement.  Honestly, if I had millions of bucks to play with and I was in the debate business, I would hire up the absolute best possible debate coach I could find and do the work necessary to be the best in my field.  Limbaugh is actually doing this right now with his golf game and it is a textbook example of how getting the best coach (and doing the work) pays off.  

O'Reilly isn't smart enough to pull it off but I think that Hannity is and is just not interested in improving his game.  I think of it as intellectual and professional laziness.  It would be like going to college, learning a trade or craft and then never, ever attending a seminar, lecture, etc. because, hey, you went to college...you know everything there is to know about_________ and there is no way that you need improvement.

Mark Levin is, by comparison, a devastating debater.  Comes from an education in law and, more importantly, continual self improvement.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 10:16:16 PM by trapeze »

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2011, 05:02:27 AM »
Funny you should mention debate, Mark Levin and Hannity. On the radio show yesterday, Hannity asked the caller if he would like to debate Levin on the constitutionality of collective bargaining under the "right to assembly" passage. The caller's proposition was that the right to unionize was protected by the constitution. Poor Hannity could not even muster much of a response.
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2011, 05:58:58 AM »
I get sick of Hannity always saying, almost deferentially, "African-American".
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2011, 07:26:18 AM »
I get sick of him saying "....ya know".... I also get sick of him latching onto a given talking point and repeating it over and over, but I think that is his function and purpose. I don't think his show is meant for debating. I think it is meant as a backdrop for the repetition of talking points. The guests he has on only serve to facilitate that repetition.

I wish everyone in the country had access to Jason Lewis' syndicated show. His debating skills and his knowledge of any given topic are second to none. He's so good that even when he takes positions that I disagree with, I find myself trying to justify my own positions against his argument. I rarely come away from listening to him argue a position that I disagree with, 100% confident that I have been right. Although lately he seems to be advocating legitimate US engagement with Islam and withdrawing ourselves from entanglements and interests in the Mideast, and that's been pissing me off big, and I disagree with him there. But even so, he makes a case, and one is prompted at the least to examine and re-examine their own held positions.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 07:29:14 AM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2011, 07:45:12 AM »
Yeah he (Jason Lewis) used to have a show in Charlotte. He was good. Every now and then he'll make a phone-in on his old station's other shows.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2011, 11:51:01 AM »
Yeah, Jason is bugging me with the foreign policy stances of late too, but that has never been his strong point, his strong point has always been in domestic issues and legal issues...in those areas he can put things into perspective quite well in terms everyone can understand.  It's almost like his libertarian roots are being slowly gathered in by Ron Paul's brand of isolationism.

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2011, 02:41:37 PM »
Speaking of Jason Lewis, you can listen to his radio show online at 106.1 Rush Radio at 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern time.

http://www.wrdu.com/

I do hate his intro., though. The use of the introduction of Jason by Bush, Sr. just grates on my last nerve. Jason Lewis, Jason Lewis, Jason Lewis . . .

Dang Jason, give it a rest will ya?
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2011, 02:50:05 PM »
I get sick of him saying "....ya know".... I also get sick of him latching onto a given talking point and repeating it over and over, but I think that is his function and purpose. I don't think his show is meant for debating. I think it is meant as a backdrop for the repetition of talking points. The guests he has on only serve to facilitate that repetition.

Don't forget:  "I gotta tell ya"  and/or  "I gotta be honest"

Again, if I had his money and his show I wouldn't be satisfied with my performance.  I would at the very least hire someone to give me an electric shock every time I used one of those phrases.

And yeah, that's his formula and he's sticking with it no matter how shallow and ridiculous it makes him look.  He is a stalwart conservative...on that there is no doubt but he is intellectually and professionally lazy.  And irresponsible...when you are in a position such as his you are responsible for putting the absolute best face on (in this case) conservatism as possible.  He arguably does not. If you were to hold him up as our poster boy I would cringe.

Contrast with Limbaugh who insists on being the best.  Hannity is comfortable being number two and has no game plan to be number one.  

Contrast with Beck who works his ass off and may not be number three much longer because of his hard work.  I have issues with Beck as well but they aren't intellectual and professional laziness.  

The worst thing that ever happened to Hannity was losing Colmes.  Colmes was and still is a light weight but at least he had a staff that did opposition research and he worked at it as best he could.  Now that Hannity has no foil at all he has slipped even further into intellectual and professional laziness.  If FNC was smart about it they would go out and hire the absolute best liberal mind they could find, put him up against Hannity so that he was forced to "do the work" that he currently avoids.  Nothing would be better for Hannity than to have his head handed to him a few times.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2011, 03:30:03 PM »
...He is a stalwart conservative...on that there is no doubt but he is intellectually and professionally lazy.  And irresponsible...when you are in a position such as his you are responsible for putting the absolute best face on (in this case) conservatism as possible.  He arguably does not. If you were to hold him up as our poster boy I would cringe.

Contrast with Limbaugh who insists on being the best.  Hannity is comfortable being number two and has no game plan to be number one.

I have a little different take. I do agree that Hannity comes across at best, as disinterested in exploring the world beyond his talking points. But I don't know if that is attributable to intellectual and professional laziness. It may be. But it also may be that he is doing exactly what he intends to do to satisfy the demand for his brand in the marketplace. Perhaps he and the people (both employers and listeners) who believe he deserves to be where he is view his role in the marketplace as being the best at delivering talking points and staying on message without deviation. If that is the case, then he is an expert. Evidence for that expertise would be his #2 in the nation radio program, surpassed only by the great Rush Limbaugh, whom no one can realistically hope to surpass until Rush dies or retires.

So Idunno. Can't stand listening to Hannity for more than a minute or two at a time myself. But I don't know if I agree that it's because he's lazy. It may be because he's selling something I don't need.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2011, 04:40:15 PM »
Speaking of Jason Lewis, you can listen to his radio show online at 106.1 Rush Radio at 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern time.

http://www.wrdu.com/

I do hate his intro., though. The use of the introduction of Jason by Bush, Sr. just grates on my last nerve. Jason Lewis, Jason Lewis, Jason Lewis . . .

Dang Jason, give it a rest will ya?

He's had that intro for eons...don't think it will ever change...although a sprucing up for the 21st century would be a good idea...   :P

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2011, 05:00:55 PM »
Although lately he seems to be advocating legitimate US engagement with Islam and withdrawing ourselves from entanglements and interests in the Mideast...

Will you expand on that a bit?  I don't listen to him, so I'd appreciate a bit more clarity.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Magnum

« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2011, 05:02:10 PM »
I remember when Jason’s show first aired here (1992?) on the old talk station 1500 KSTP. On one of his first shows some lib called in and he destroyed his argument and left the poor man stuttering. It was awesome because it was in the early infancy of conservative radio in this area and I never heard anyone quite like him other than Rush at the time……........  But as Libertas says he seems he now is becoming a bit of an Isolationist.

One of my favorite talkers now is Dennis Prager.  I have listened to few with Dennis’s wisdom and insights.  He excels in debating in all issues of life.  

As far as Christian talkers/debaters go I like Dr. Michael Brown. He has wisdom and insight like Prager and is very kind and respectful of those who disagree with him.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 05:11:03 PM by Magnum »
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your GOD will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2011, 05:39:26 PM »
Although lately he seems to be advocating legitimate US engagement with Islam and withdrawing ourselves from entanglements and interests in the Mideast...

Will you expand on that a bit?  I don't listen to him, so I'd appreciate a bit more clarity.

He's taken some very controversial stances re; Islam lately... that people are overreacting to the threat of Islam, that we cannot be at war with 1.5 billion people so we'd better start engaging Muslims and listening to their concerns, that our supposition that the Iranian regime is not essentially rational in spite of its rhetoric is misguided, that our support of Israel should not be any more unconditional than our support of any other country, that it's not our job to address human rights injustices in the Islamic world....

I bet I don't need to go on, do I?

As I said, he's really been pissing me off lately with this ultra-libertarian - almost Paulian - stance re; Islam. The guy cannot be touched when it comes to economic issues and domestic policy in general. But he's lost me and many others in regard to foreign policy as it relates to Islam. And he knows it. He sees it as his mission to call it as he sees it, and understands he's rocking people's worldview. He hasn't changed my mind one iota, but he has gotten me to look at our involvements with Islamic regimes with a more critical eye, and ask myself some questions about cause/effect, cost/reward, etc.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2011, 06:03:28 PM »
I bet I don't need to go on, do I?

Newp.  Thanks.

I'd be interested in exploring Lewis' point of view in its own thread.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"