Author Topic: Asset Project  (Read 5525 times)

charlesoakwood

Re: Asset Project
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 07:13:55 PM »
One of my "hobbies" today is exploring the opportunity to buy other currency. As the dollar slips, other currency becomes attractive. Now, I am a babe in this, checking currency, but it could be a safehaven of sorts.

One of the guys who works offshore here has about $300 in Iraqi Dinars. He hasn't gotten much on his return yet, but he's still optimistic.

::hysterical::

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 07:20:08 PM »
My inclination is to spread the wealth, if one or two miss then, hopefully, the third will continue to provide growth.

Unh hunh.  You did notice radioman was asking for specifics, right?

Speaking specifically about safe investing and government taking at any time is touchy, in today's environment predicting the weather is less difficult. Before this is over we are going to have a government with values different than today, either way it goes.

The three areas I was referring was: real property - on the downside it's rental -on the upside it will keep up with inflation (if you do, do diligence), conservative investment vehicles such as Vanguard, and real money.

What are your specifics?

Well,
what we do know is that the government is going to start raiding the assets from those that have assets because the government is broke.

Each type of investment has its pros and cons as to how vulnerable they are to government confiscation or undue regulation.

Real Estate - Rental property is good during times of inflation but the government may force too high a property tax burden, may impose regulations on landlords that might make it impossible to see any income of any value. Who knows? Imminent domain may seize your property so that the guv can collect higher taxes.

Mutual funds/401s/iras/ - tax burden going in and out - government may start a program where they manage your funds for you whether you want them to or not....

Banks/CDs - bank closures, bankruptcies, I don't know what all can go wrong here...someone mentioned inactive account seizures...

Gold and silver - the guv will want to track who has what ....

Guv may take all your assets when you die.....charge excessively high taxes to those that inherit....

What about LLCs, and other forms of accounts to protect assets? Trust funds, etc...??

I guess I'm hoping that some experts can come on here and advise us where the best place to hide our assets.

One of my "hobbies" today is exploring the opportunity to buy other currency. As the dollar slips, other currency becomes attractive. Now, I am a babe in this, checking currency, but it could be a safehaven of sorts.

I also keep some cash in hand and silver. I'll hoard anything silver. The coin may become worthless, but the metal will not.

Chickens and eggs will become trade goods.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 08:40:21 PM »

Thought you were going to say rabbits.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2011, 09:21:27 PM »

Thought you were going to say rabbits.

Please.  Don't get him started on the rabbits .......
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2011, 09:24:42 PM »

Livestock, you know. 

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2011, 09:39:39 PM »

Livestock, you know. 

Yah, I know.  Unlike *some*, he knows the drill so likely no long learning curve.  As though the majority of us wouldn't get there in time either.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2011, 10:19:39 PM »
 ::bigmooning::
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2011, 10:22:24 PM »

We prolly seen more of your *alleged* butt this week than Nan did.

And the above comment about learning curve was a compliment, face brut.   ::kissface:: 

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2011, 10:58:27 PM »

We prolly seen more of your *alleged* butt this week than Nan did.

And the above comment about learning curve was a compliment, face brut.   ::kissface:: 

::grouphug::
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2011, 11:32:44 PM »

One of the guys who works offshore here has about $300 in Iraqi Dinars. He hasn't gotten much on his return yet, but he's still optimistic.

Ive heard of people buying the new Iraqi currency. Some call it a scam but I'm not sure. Iraqs debt has been forgiven by most countries and they are sitting on black gold. 300.00 probably got him 250,000 dinar...LOL

Never know...Their currency gets accepted, other countries dinar is worth much more than the dollar. can't be any worse than guying 300.00 worth of lottery tickets.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 07:14:46 AM »
To answer Radioman's question, well we've already described some of the risks of various assets, all I can say is be prepared to move fast to protect what you have.  I would think land, especially rural land, would be the last thing anybody attempts to confiscate.  Liquidate riskier holdings before they tank or are prone to confiscation, hide what you have.  Eventually everything should be with you and not somewhere else.  Then it comes down to protecting what you have.  Obviously these steps involve a ton of details.  I'm not sure how detailed it has to be being as everyones situation might be different, but the bottom line is keep what you have by any means necessary.  If IRA's or 401(k)'s look like they could be raided, pull the plug.  The latter can be folded into the former and then it can be pulled out early, you'll take a tax hit but better risking that than risking all.  This is the type of thinking people have to used to.  Bank ratings are worthless too.  You have to look for warning signs in your community-other banks failing, experiencing runs, drawing heavily on Fed reserves, reducing staff, etc.  People have to question everything they are in and everything they see.  Geez, I guess I am describing a process much like going Galt.  Not a bad model to copy though!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2011, 11:43:50 AM »
There will be no safe paper asset.  A Paper asset relies on Law to be protected, and the people making the laws will be able to take anything they want on paper.
Hence you 401K is easy pickings-- a big pile of money, held in the hands of a 3rd party, who is easily bullied by if not in cahoots with, those making the demands.

You need things to have and to hold.  If you are prepping that is food, energy production, shelter, security/firearms, toiletries, transportation, bullion and yes a pile of fiat cash. .  If you have money left over, then bullion is still your best bet.  Also, don't consider this an opportunity to "get rich". Being rich in the future will be living as you do now. Your goal at this point should probably be preservation.

I do not believe, gold, silver, copper, platinum, etc are in a "bubble" - they are accurately reflecting the state of the world fiat currency market.  Yes, you CAN invest in the currency of other countries.  China is even allowing you to keep accounts in Chinese currency if you use their branches in America.. problem is those banks are under American control ( Argentina took deposit is in American Dollars and forced the depositors to accept the local revalued currency in exchange)  - but right now other currencies are just as unstable- added to the fact that trade is now so interconnected that even "secure" fiat will be shaky.  If the dollar tanks, the U.S demand on the Market disappears, and that takes a lot of revenue off of the tables of foreign companies as well.  Money is a symbol of value - and the less value people trade, the less the money is worth. It really is that simple.  So some holdings in various foreign currencies is probably a good idea. And its probably a good idea to have those holding in cash, and in your possession . (and no a Bank deposit box is NOT in your possession)

In the end Gold, Silver and other metals will be worth "something"  and be seen as a reliable symbol of value (i.e. money)  - however the government might  make them illegal to own - forcing you to a black market to use them. What is important to remember is that gold and Silver are just shiny rocks.  Silver has industrial uses - which make up 90% of the demand. Silver WILL loose value as production slows.  Gold has really no uses, and is the more reliable barometer.  Both silver an gol, however, have been used as money in the past.  If and when they are again recognized as "money" their value will increase on that basis.  There will probably be a panic/bubble (I don't think we see it yet)  where prices will go stupid.but that will be because other mediums of exchange ( fiat) have gone stupid in the other direction. This will be a good time to cash out some holding and pay down any debts you might have.  After  the panic buying stops,  gold and silver will find a new level, and will probably buy slightly more than they cost in 1990's dollars. (around $3-5 1990 dollar purchasing value for an oz silver, about $200-300 oz gold)  Of course what is  available for purchase and at what price  may change dramatically because how much is produced  and how much is demanded will be dramatically different from 1990, and its hard to see if demand will fall the same amount as production . Housing will probably be very cheap. Fuel and Food very expensive.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2011, 11:56:52 AM »
I can't argue with much of that!

The real shape the future will take can vary from bad to unthinkable, depending upon the variables and your own intelligence, knowledge, experience and point of view.  That it will be less than what we have now seems a given.  It is not pleasant thinking about the darker impulses of humanity, but it is unavoidable when assessing risks to your person and property.  Getting your mind to accept worst case scenarios is half the battle in preparing for an uncertain future.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2011, 06:59:22 PM »
Getting your mind to accept worst case scenarios is half the battle in preparing for an uncertain future.

My mind is having no trouble what so ever. It's my significant other that's the battle.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2011, 07:17:14 PM »
Also, don't consider this an opportunity to "get rich". Being rich in the future will be living as you do now.

That cannot be emphasized enough, and it was more or less what Ticker Forum commenter Josecitomadera was saying here.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2011, 06:50:00 AM »
Getting your mind to accept worst case scenarios is half the battle in preparing for an uncertain future.

My mind is having no trouble what so ever. It's my significant other that's the battle.

Yup.  You can't just hammer away with arguments no matter how well reasoned and passionate...convincing those close to us can be tough, don't want to trigger the force field...you have to be patient.  I suck at patience, hope you fare better!

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2011, 10:15:48 AM »

I am so lucky I didn't have that battle.  Have you tried "Its a Vacation Home!", "I want to go Green hon, lets get a Solar System and lessen our Carbon Footprint", "we should have extra food on hand, that way when its about to expire we can give it to the poor",  "I think we need a greenhouse so we can eat healthy food and not that poisoned stuff they sell in those corporate supermarkets!"  "hey wouldn't it be great to buy a new truck and use it to go ATVing?"   - a lot of prep can be explained away as you doing well and wanting to do whats best for others and the planet.  Michelle and I are Neo-Hippies.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2011, 11:19:03 PM »

I am so lucky I didn't have that battle.  Have you tried "Its a Vacation Home!", "I want to go Green hon, lets get a Solar System and lessen our Carbon Footprint", "we should have extra food on hand, that way when its about to expire we can give it to the poor",  "I think we need a greenhouse so we can eat healthy food and not that poisoned stuff they sell in those corporate supermarkets!"  "hey wouldn't it be great to buy a new truck and use it to go ATVing?"   - a lot of prep can be explained away as you doing well and wanting to do whats best for others and the planet.  Michelle and I are Neo-Hippies.

Something,(a new hobby) like camping, the family can enjoy and be a learning experience for the children.  Fundamental prep may also quietly occur in the attic, garage, or crawl space.