Author Topic: Common foods that are toxic for pets  (Read 2259 times)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Common foods that are toxic for pets
« on: August 03, 2011, 06:48:33 PM »
I stumbled across this by accident while exploring another link.

I don't have most of the items on the list, but my cat Kira has always enjoyed spaghetti, and absolutely loooves John Florida's sauce recipe, which contains tomatoes and onions.  So far I haven't noticed any ill effects.

My other cat, Reggie, suffered acute kidney failure about a year ago (and recovered after four days in the hospital).  But unlike Kira, he has no interest whatsoever in human food.  The cause is still a mystery.

Link to article

There are 8 pages of comments which are also worth reading.  I think one of trap's relatives is on page 6.

We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Common foods that are toxic for pets
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 07:08:54 PM »
Interesting. Not meant as a rebuttal, just an anecdote.....Gracie, my kittykat loved spaghetti. Loved the mushrooms too. More like a dog (garbage-hound) than a feline, she would go after Random's Ravioli if left on the coffee table of floor.

The cat I have now is a prima donna who turns up his nose at anything except canned food. I noticed that he weighs a lot less than when I first got him  ::laughonfloor::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 07:22:39 PM »
Hobbes loves lettuce, but only Romaine, and the green leaves on broccoli stalks.

When Belfry was a babycat, he was sickly; it was a saucer of milk every day that put him right, despite what the experts say about lactose intolerance.

eta:  Also, we always worried when we left them alone all day that Hobbes (nickname:  Hogges) would eat Belfry.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 07:33:11 PM by Pandora »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 07:34:10 PM »
Kira loves lettuce too.  I thought she was the only one.

Then again, she takes an interest in anything I'm eating, in addition to her normal cat food.  She's kind of dog-like in that respect.  Reggie, as I said, could care less.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 09:08:42 PM »
Hah!  You want a story about "taking interest"?  I'll tell you.

When Hobbes was a babycat, we were eating dinner -- chicken breasts in red sauce (tomato/gravy) -- and he jumped on my lap, snatched the mostly eaten breast off my plate and beat feet down the hallway, into the front room and under the chair to devour his catch.  Fast.  Fast!

Nobody messes with my chicken bones, so I pounded after him and wrestled it away from him; growling, hissing ensued and he was vocal as well.  So I smacked his ass good and after that he was skooched out of the room at dinnertime.

He was a feral baby, so it took a bit to domesticate him.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 09:16:02 PM »
Kira is a serious threat to steal a whole chicken breast at any moment.  She's tried it numerous times, but I've always managed to snatch it back in the nick of time before she could make her getaway.  Now I keep it firmly pinioned to the plate with a fork when she's around.

I'll cut off pieces and eat them with the knife, while keeping the fork planted in the chicken to hold it in place.

ETA:  I think she figures that if she can drag it off the plate and drop it on the floor, it's hers.  And she's probably right.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 09:31:52 PM by rickl »
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 07:01:36 AM »
Darth Vance loves any green/leafy plant - lettuce, house plants...grass.  I don't get the attraction, I have to put all my plants up where he can't get at 'em.

As far as people food, he loves fish...as soon as he smells it cooking he goes nuts...I make sure he only gets a little taste though, no spoiling him or winding up with a fat kitty!

As far as the list goes, I knew about chocolate, and experimentation with others with family pets over the years have taught us what not to let a pet nibble on.  Some of the items are surprising.

The ice cream/milk thing I found out with my kitty right away...so he never gets that.  Well, usually, I remember a time not long ago where I served up a dish of ice cream for myself, put the caramel & chocolate on top and then turned my back for a second and that little devil was licking the top like crazy.

Didn't get a lot and didn't seem to affect him.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 09:43:03 PM »
My first dog ate most of the stuff on that list(no chocolate) and he lived to a ripe old age.As a matter of fact he ate lemons with me at least once a week.I think there may be a difference in raw and cooked for some of that list.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 06:27:06 AM »
Could be JF, chemical changes and all that.

We had a weiner dog growing up...great family dog, ate everything, was active, cranked out 3 litters (all by herself, good mom!) and she lived to 15.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.