Author Topic: Snapshot of a Sick Society  (Read 3101 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Snapshot of a Sick Society
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 09:52:04 PM »
I'm not personally invested.  No offense taken.  But he writes for Pajamas Media and his posts routinely get 100-200 comments, and I haven't seen this type of criticism there, nor on the dozens of other blogs where his articles are linked.

No offense intended, but you're sounding a bit like the Bob Dylan fans I described here, who were upset because he didn't sing the songs they thought he should.

(See how easy that was?  I said I could turn any thread into a Bob Dylan thread, and by gum, I meant it.   ;D)

Heh.  Congratulations; you've done it!

On the serious side, can you not admit, despite all the many comments, that we may have a point in our criticism?

BTW, I've run into some of the same resistance at Grouchy's about Steyn; multiple, and hostile, posts insisting he's to be shielded from this sort of critique, becausebecausebecausebecausebecaaaause, because of the wonderful things he's done .....
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 10:04:39 PM »
On the serious side, can you not admit, despite all the many comments, that we may have a point in our criticism?

No, actually I don't, because as I said earlier, "Historians describe; they don't prescribe".  He writes what he sees, and it's up to his readers to "take it to the next step".
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2011, 10:19:39 PM »

No, actually I don't, because as I said earlier, "Historians describe; they don't prescribe".  He writes what he sees, and it's up to his readers to "take it to the next step".

I see.  That's his self-described mission, then, purely historian?  Don't historians usually write the history afterward? 

So, he chronicles the fall of the country around him without stepping forward to promote a solution when he has the pulpit and the audience to which to do it.  Cowardly, I say.

We'll have to agree to disagree here, I suppose.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 10:35:28 PM »
In this case, he's writing history in the present tense.  He's writing what he observes, and is chronicling in real time what may well turn out to be the decline and fall of Western Civilization.

I simply don't understand why you think he should be doing something more than that.

Again, what "solution" do you think he should be proposing?  Have you e-mailed him about it?
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

charlesoakwood

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2011, 10:47:42 PM »

Possibly, it is that he writes with such smooth and precise clarity one feels that he (and Steyn) are the advocates conservatism is severely missing.  Personally, I would speculate that he is repulsed by the political harlotry and considers presenting accurate observations his best road.  I don't think he's a man who fears.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2011, 10:50:45 PM »

Possibly, it is that he writes with such smooth and precise clarity one feels that he (and Steyn) are the advocates conservatism is severely missing.  Personally, I would speculate that he is repulsed by the political harlotry and considers presenting accurate observations his best road.  I don't think he's a man who fears.

Thank you.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2011, 10:54:13 PM »
In this case, he's writing history in the present tense.  He's writing what he observes, and is chronicling in real time what may well turn out to be the decline and fall of Western Civilization.

I simply don't understand why you think he should be doing something more than that.

Again, what "solution" do you think he should be proposing?  Have you e-mailed him about it?

There is no such thing as history in the present tense, by definition.

his·to·ry
? ?[his-tuh-ree, his-tree] Show IPA
noun, plural -ries.
the branch of knowledge dealing with past events.
a continuous, systematic narrative of past events as relating to a particular people, country, period, person, etc., usually written as a chronological account; chronicle: a history of France; a medical history of the patient.
the aggregate of past events.
the record of past events and times, especially in connection with the human race.
a past notable for its important, unusual, or interesting events: a ship with a history.

No, I haven't emailed him about it.  Do you suggest a badgering of him as Dylan experienced, one that you derogate?

It's a criticism and an observation, rickl.  Why does it stick in your craw?

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2011, 11:01:14 PM »
OK, whatever.  I'll let it drop.  You're entitled to your opinion.

It's just not an opinion I've ever seen anywhere else, is all I'm saying.  But that's fine.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2011, 01:27:23 AM »
What conclusion?

The conclusion you and I both see so plainly. He never advocates for the obvious. He's a historian, fine. As you say. Still, as I read, I was expecting someone of his weight and audience to draw the conclusion I believe his piece supported, and I was left wanting.

It doesn't mean I don't think he's a good writer. As I said, I think he's a brilliant writer and thinker. His observations are spot-on. This particular piece left me feeling like I read something incomplete.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2011, 07:47:24 AM »

Steak tartare.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2011, 09:11:58 AM »
I don't think he pretends to be any thing other than just someone observing what this nation is becoming.   Anything beyond that is for the actual advocates.