Author Topic: So what's up with Brussels sprouts?  (Read 3691 times)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
So what's up with Brussels sprouts?
« on: August 05, 2011, 08:59:40 PM »
There's a recipe I have for a Brussels sprouts and bacon side dish, which calls for a pound of Brussels sprouts.  That will make four servings, three of which I freeze and heat up later.  I was planning to make it this weekend.

I went to three stores tonight, and found one 10 oz. package of Brussels sprouts between them.  What gives?  Was there a Brussels sprouts crop failure I didn't hear about?
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: So what's up with Brussels sprouts?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 09:03:47 PM »
Out of season maybe?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 09:16:54 PM »
Well, what's their season?
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 09:57:11 PM »

Time your planting so that your brussels sprouts mature when days are still warm but nights are getting frosty. In warm climates, plant in late summer or early fall to harvest in winter or early spring. Elsewhere, count backward three to four months from the date of the first expected frost.

Read more: How to Grow Brussels Sprouts | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_9879_grow-brussels-sprouts.html#ixzz1UDJKSELd

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 11:26:00 PM »

They sell them in 14oz packages in the frozen food section.
It is said persistent consumption of Brussels sprouts will correct corrupted prostate DNA.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 11:45:25 PM »
I luvs the nasty little things!

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 01:31:03 AM »
I've never been a fan of the little buggers. Taste like bitter little dirt-covered cabbages to me. But you know what I used to hate that I now crave? Asparagus. Gently peeled, blanched for 2 minutes, ice-bathed for 3 minutes, then stir fried in butter and sea-salt for about a minute-thirty.

Num-num.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 03:11:18 PM »
Asparagus. Gently peeled, blanched for 2 minutes, ice-bathed for 3 minutes, then stir fried in butter and sea-salt for about a minute-thirty.

Num-num.

Or Olive Oil. ::cool::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 03:25:43 PM »
Asparagus...tasty...expensive...stinky pee  ::rolllaughing::

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 04:07:49 PM »

Fall,they need to cold weather to sweeten them up and for the plant to stop setting leaves and concentrate on plumping up the ones already there. I used to cut the tops off so they would stop growing and set the little jewels.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 10:11:08 AM »
Got these babies fresh today.  Only me and the youngest will eat though.

Haven't decided what I want to do with them.  Probably something simple.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 10:13:16 AM »
Nummy.  I'll take mine with just a little butter on them, please.   ;D

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 10:16:15 AM »
Nummy.  I'll take mine with just a little butter on them, please.   ;D

That's what I usually do but since I got 2 stalks I'd thought I'd do something different for each but not too fancy.  I was going to cook them for dinner but now I'm thinking lunch! I'm already hungry and fresh vegs sound good.

Added:  I roasted them with olive oil and then mixed them with a honey dijon sauce I made.  I liked them.  The kid who usually eats them with me didn't.  Since we both like them plain I guess that's what I'll do with the rest.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 12:25:46 PM by LadyVirginia »
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

RickZ

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 05:21:15 AM »
Okay, Brusselly Sprouts are my favorite veggie.  But whatever you do, do not buy frozen Brussels sprouts, they truly s*ck in taste and have a horrible texture.  Stick with the fresh.  Some things just do not freeze well.

Now for a recipe, I'll pass along my old tried and true, one I created years ago and seems to be a hit (even with teens at one family Thanksgiving gettogether).

For simplicity's sake, start with one pound of fresh Brussels sprouts (try to pick them close to the same size and give them a squeeze to make sure they are hard marbles, not squishy); if you cannot pick your own, but are prepackaged, well, that's no fun.  But if that's what you are stuck with, separate the sprouts into two piles by size.  Peel off any tough outer leaves.  Trim the stem.  The larger sprouts should be cut in half through the stem to ensure even cooking time.

Braised Brussels Sprouts

1 lb Brussels sprouts
2-4 TBS butter
1-2 TBS low sodium soy sauce (Kikkoman is the best)
2 lemons (zest removed and reserved)
1-2 TBS sliced almonds

In a skillet, heat 1 TBS butter.  Watching all the time, lightly toast the slices just until they become fragrant, remove and drain on a paper towel, then reserve.  Do not discard butter (it's got all that almond flavor now).

Add a little more butter (now here is where that separation by size matters).  The ones halved should be toasted in the butter cut side down until lightly golden.  The smaller whole ones should go into the skill at is.  Once the cut sprouts are browned, add the soy sauce, butter and juice of one lemon to the skillet.  Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer.  Cook for about 20-25 minutes, or until the sprouts are just cooked but not mushy.  Shake the pan/stir the sprouts every so often while they are cooking.  Halfway through, add the juice of the second lemon, adjusting the soy and butter accordingly to taste.  [You can remove the sprouts as they cook to a bowl so they don't overcook.]  I use my spoon to gently press down on the sprouts to check their doneness.  Once they give a little, that is, the rock hardness is gone, they are done.

Once the sprouts are done, remove and reduce the cooking liquid until it's a thick syrup, again adjusting the soy and butter to taste.  Be careful you don't burn it, though.  Add the cooked sprouts back to the pan and toss to coat.  Place the sprouts into a serving bowl or place a portion right on the dinner plate, drizzling any reduced sauce over them, sprinkle the toasted almonds over them and top with a snowfall of lemon zest.  Serve immediately.
--------

IDP, when blanching  asparagus, add to the water the juice of one lemon and add the lemon halves as well.  Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook the spears for about that 2-3 minutes you mentioned.  Then dip into an ice bath and use in your favorite recipe.  Doing the spears this way, lemon flavor is imparted so they can be used for a cold/room temperature appetizer/antipasti.  Shmeering a piece of prosciutto with goat cheese [that is mixed with finely minced fresh Calamata, or your favorite black, olives and dried oregano], then roll the asparagus up inside the prosciutto like a cigarette (keeping the prosciutto cold for easier manipulation).  By handling the prosciutto as you roll up the spear, the fat in the prosciutto warms up and becomes a self-sealing glue that holds the roll-up together.  Store by layering thin slices of lemon on the bottom of the container and between each layer of asparagus roll-ups (may be made a couple of days ahead of time).  Serve as an appetizer, fanning out 3 or 5 roll-ups (tip side pointing away), with a black and green olive between each roll-up, scattered chunks of Parmigiano Reggiano and imported sharp Provolone, and a pepperoncini.  Serve at room temperature for optimum flavor.  Fancy, but expensive, finger food.  Goes great with a nice chianti.

I made this back in '05 or so, and I bought two bundles of asparagus, 45 spears in all (I counted them).  I then asked for 50 slices of prosciutto at the Italian deli (just in case I needed extra or got hungry making them).  The prosciutto alone was $45-50, with 12 to 18 oz of goat cheese being another $20-30, the olives were $5-10 dollars and the asparagus being gawd knows what at $2.99-$3.99 a pound; my bill was around $90 for 45 rollups, or about $2-3 a roll-up (make them only for very good friends or family you actually like).

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 11:30:08 AM »
perfect timing

I just got a big ole stalk of brussel sprouts straight off a farm today.  How's that for fresh?   ::danceban::

Guess this will be part of dinner tonight.  :)