Author Topic: 45,000 Verizon Workers Go On Strike Over Contract  (Read 3314 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
45,000 Verizon Workers Go On Strike Over Contract
« on: August 07, 2011, 11:19:54 AM »
Tens of thousands of unionized Verizon Communications Inc. workers from Massachusetts to Washington, D.C., went on strike early Sunday after they failed to agree on a new labor contract with the telecommunications company.

The Communications Workers of America said negotiations in Philadelphia and New York stalled Saturday night after Verizon continued to demand more than 100 concessions from workers and the unions refused to budge.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/08/07/45000-verizon-workers-could-strike-over-contract/#ixzz1UMOTULkX

Oh, boohoo.  "More than 100 concessions".  None of the union employees pay toward their health insurance or retirement -- the 136,000 in right-to-work states are subsidizing that, in addition to what they pay for their own -- so, the pissing and moaning about "destroying our middle class lives" is just fantasy.  I have no itemized list of what the other "concessions" are, but I doubt they're life-destroying.

Furthermore, of the 136,000 employees in non-union states, many have been "voluntarily" deployed to the on-strike areas to maintain service.  Mostly "gun-free" zones, to cross picket lines and to do six 12-hour day rotations.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: 45,000 Verizon Workers Go On Strike Over Contract
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 11:44:33 AM »
There are enough people looking for work. Companies should call these bluffs, and fire every last union bastard.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 11:48:53 AM »
Look for backhanded punishment of Verizon from the FCC any time now.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 06:55:06 PM »
There are enough people looking for work. Companies should call these bluffs, and fire every last union bastard.

One could only hope.
Eschew Obfuscation

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 09:54:05 AM »

Link

As part of the union effort to call attention to their strike, IBEW strikers decided to protest in front of Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam’s house on Sunday.

Local 827 IBEW protests at CEO Lowell McAdams house!

Local 827 IBEW members rally in front of CEO of Verizon Lowell McAdams house in Mendhen NJ! Take note of the two Verizon security puppets. They are the same two toy cops that local 827 IBEW serenaded with the "A$$HOLE "

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 11:04:39 AM »
... Mendhen NJ!

It's Mendham.

Take note of the two Verizon security puppets. They are the same two toy cops that local 827 IBEW serenaded with the "A$$HOLE "

To what are you referring here, CO?

Anybody else notice there wasn't a junker car among 'em?  Yep; these folks gonna be hurtin' fo' sho' having to kick something in for their medical insurance.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 11:49:27 AM »
Hmmm. I see a lot of bright, shiny toys being paraded there. Is that the point?

"If I don't get what I want I'm gonna have a tantrum and show you that I don't need you (even though my employment through you has brought me prosperity)!!!"

Zero sympathy here...

charlesoakwood

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 12:01:36 PM »
... Mendhen NJ!

It's Mendham.

Take note of the two Verizon security puppets. They are the same two toy cops that local 827 IBEW serenaded with the "A$$HOLE "

To what are you referring here, CO?

Anybody else notice there wasn't a junker car among 'em?  Yep; these folks gonna be hurtin' fo' sho' having to kick something in for their medical insurance.
Local 827 IBEW members rally in front of CEO of Verizon Lowell McAdams house in Mendhen NJ! Take note of the two Verizon security puppets. They are the same two toy cops that local 827 IBEW serenaded with the "ASSHOLE " chant. That's Nice, who is paying for those guys?

Nothing like an incomplete and unlabeled citation from the utube link, eh?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 12:12:21 PM »
Ah, I see; not yours.

Of course Verizon is paying for the security at the CEO's home; that's where the strikers went, didn't they? 

I'm really concerned for my friend who has been sent up there to fill in.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 12:12:36 PM »
Hey, great timing for a strike.

Sure sucks being politically tone deaf.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 12:28:26 PM »
Hey, great timing for a strike.

Sure sucks being politically tone deaf.

Boyoboy, are you ever on the money.

I'm betting dollars to donuts, a whooooole bunch of people in NJ/PA/MD/CONN/NY are not feeling these people's pain. 

Something else I have thought about, too; Verizon did not handle the "deployment" issue smartly either. Instead of asking for volunteers and seeing where they stood, the temporary re-assignments are mandatory, contingent on keep one's job, and the rotations are six 12-hour days.

IMO, they've left the door open for a union-organizing foot to insert itself in non-union shops with "see, if you had a union, this could not have been done to you".

charlesoakwood

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 12:32:24 PM »

Typical corporate tinear/dunderheaded/toomanylawyers fear mentality.

Offline michelleo

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 12:05:35 PM »
Ahhhh. Takes me back to the good old days when i worked for a Baby Bell (I was "management", not union) and had to work 12 hr days for 2 weeks crossing picket lines.  I've despised unions ever since.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 02:18:02 PM »
Ahhhh. Takes me back to the good old days when i worked for a Baby Bell (I was "management", not union) and had to work 12 hr days for 2 weeks crossing picket lines.  I've despised unions ever since.

The union violence has started.  The folks sent to SoHo from our area have had coffee and rotten fruit thrown at them by while enroute by picketers and a woman was shoved into scaffolding on the sidewalk.  A man sent there from here just up and quit yesterday.

I also despise unions, for similar reasons.

Offline michelleo

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 02:35:01 PM »
Union members know their power is waning.  It makes them more desperate and therefore more thuggish.  I'm praying for the safety of your friend.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 02:40:01 PM »
Union members know their power is waning.  It makes them more desperate and therefore more thuggish.  I'm praying for the safety of your friend.

Thank you, Michelle!

Fortunately, he went to PA from NC and was permitted ::snort:: to take his protection with him, sans projectiles, which lack he rectified at WalMart.

Forgot to mention, equipment sabotaged at various places, per RD.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 02:51:42 PM by Pandora »

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 03:12:35 PM »
Detroit is their success model.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 03:19:45 PM »
Detroit is their success model.

Must be.  They've vandalized a local mortuary chain in Chicago as a way of "sending a message".

« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 06:10:54 PM by Pandora »

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 04:47:37 PM »
I hate those sons a bitches like you can't even imagine!!
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 05:00:47 PM »
This just in 45,000 new Telecommunication jobs are up for grabs! ::whoohoo:: ::hysterical:: ::mooning::
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow