Author Topic: Richie Rich's Free Lunch  (Read 720 times)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Richie Rich's Free Lunch
« on: August 21, 2011, 08:13:47 PM »
Last month, with the federal government on the precipice of default, President Obama & Co. repeatedly warned that any cuts in government would amount to a terrorist Tea Party attack on assistance to the poor and elderly.

Funnily enough, they failed to mention the recent $4.5 billion expansion of the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act, which will now provide free lunches to ALL — rich and poor, needy and non-needy — of Detroit’s 65,800 public school-students. (Detroit is one of three pilot programs starting this month for a free-for-all that will ultimately cover similar districts nationwide.)

This new program is part of Obama’s orgy of spending, a binge that has ballooned the federal budget by 25 percent since his inauguration. But the program’s logic is even more insane than the price tag: The administration says it is giving rich kids free food to eliminate the shame that less-fortunate students may feel in receiving free food. We’re not making this up.

“We’ve worked very hard to reduce the stigma,” Aaron Lavallee, a U.S. Department of Agriculture spokesman, told the Detroit News. “We’re seeing a lot of working-class families who’ve had to turn to free school meals to feed their children.”

What’s next — handing out free Chevy Volts to all 16-year olds in order to reduce the stigma that low-income kids feel driving used 1990 Geo Metros?

Does anybody but a desk-bound government bureaucrat honestly think that class stigma will disappear if you give Richie Rich a free lunch? School districts with 62.5 percent or more of students from homes below 130 percent of the poverty level qualify — a threshold Detroit easily clears with 78 percent. All so that “working-class” kids can eat their lunch knowing that the “elites” eating free meals on the other side of the lunchroom aren’t stigmatizing them.

“Now all students will walk through a lunch line and not have to pay,” says Mark Schrupp, Detroit Public Schools COO. “Low-income students will not be easily identifiable and will be less likely to skip meals.”

Again, we aren’t making this up.

So much for government for the needy. Like Obama’s massive subsidies for politically connected Big Green, government has become a piggy bank for the Left to hand out favors to friends, subsidize third-car hybrid purchases for the rich, and test goofy theories about class stigma.

No wonder this country is mired in debt. And if you protest, you’re a terrorist.

Link
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Richie Rich's Free Lunch
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 08:49:42 PM »
I read this earlier tonight. Damn, this kind of thing is so maddening. It's one thing to advocate for government accountability and be called a terrorist for doing so. It's another thing to then have government spit in your face with a flagrantly irresponsible spending initiative like this.

Damn them to hell.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 10:38:04 PM »
Folks qualifying due to what is laughingly called "poverty"; aren't they already receiving "food assistance"?  Too much to ask that some of that "assistance" be put in a lunch-bag?

These aren't families and they sure as hell aren't working; it's Detroit.

The fit will hit the shan and these ... people ... when the "assistance" peters out and stops, will make the flash-mobs look festive.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 10:46:35 PM »
Recently the folks I work for announced a new (another) "caring" program and "invited" us to participate. When they noticed I wasn't front & center they asked if somehow I had missed to call (for donations). I shrugged and said, "Nope".

That left them truly perplexed to the point of appearing to be locked in some sort of illogic-loop. Finally, she asked me if I realized that this was to "feed the kids".

I replied that "The kids should go home to their mothers for lunch".

She actually registered horror at my response and turned around and walked away.

Cue the music:

"How can people be so thoughtless...?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 10:47:26 PM »
Yes, it's laughingly called poverty. In America, "poverty" is highly coincident with obesity.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 10:57:00 PM »

Non farm Illinois and Michigan are a blight and hard working, decent people (one, oh Lord, what if there's one remaining?) living there are stigmatized.  Considering the coming catharsis, unless one is a serious missionary, those upright folks should leave and start over, for the burden of that stigma will only increase.