Author Topic: 45,000 Verizon Workers Go On Strike Over Contract  (Read 3239 times)

Offline brad

• Newb
Re: 45,000 Verizon Workers Go On Strike Over Contract
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 09:49:03 PM »
The CEO for verison only made 17.5 million last year, he can prob afford some security. 

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 10:09:21 PM »
The CEO for verison only made 17.5 million last year, he can prob afford some security. 

The point is why should he need security in a civilized country?
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 10:14:58 PM »
Exactly. This is supposed to be a republic based on the rule-of-law. The rule-of-law has been the biggest victim of the "transformative change" going on. Without it what you have is the rule of men, mobs, and cults.

The law is predicated largely on the recognition of private property, and the government was chartered with the responsibility to protect it. When that breaks down (as in unionized police turning a blind eye) then the entire civilization is in jeopardy of breaking down.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2011, 10:23:40 PM »

Yeah?  If he requires security because of his job, then his job can just cough up to make sure neither he, nor his wife, nor his kids are harassed or threatened by union pukes.

Okay?

Got that?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2011, 10:35:20 PM »
 Should the CEO hire thugs to go to union members homes and terroize their families?? Would that be acceptable?Should he at the end of the strike start getting rid of every mothers son that took part in it?
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2011, 10:35:58 PM »

How old are you?
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2011, 11:28:43 PM »
Should the CEO hire thugs to go to union members homes and terroize their families?? Would that be acceptable?Should he at the end of the strike start getting rid of every mothers son that took part in it?

Maybe. But if he wanted a trial run I would suggest that he starts with the leftists. Wait - that would be all of them!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2011, 02:39:59 PM »
Verizon Workers Going Back to Work, Without Deal

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/08/20/verizon-workers-going-back-to-work-without-deal/#ixzz1VbEZIzo6

Mistake, mistake. 
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2011, 02:50:29 PM »

Is that $50,000 bounty by Verizon for information on the terrorists who sabotaged their equipment still being offered?

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2011, 03:10:40 PM »
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2011, 03:53:49 PM »
Verizon Workers Going Back to Work, Without Deal

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/08/20/verizon-workers-going-back-to-work-without-deal/#ixzz1VbEZIzo6

Mistake, mistake.  

For Verizon.

That's right.

This would have been a great ime to make the union either agree or stay out and pay for any damaged equipent along the way.The ubion figured r=that with the out of state people they would be able to stand a prolonged walk out. Verizon had the upper hand.

Now whatever they take from the union half should go to nonunion workers.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 04:12:04 PM by John Florida »
 Filippo Mazzie

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
Here's the thing...

...About 45,000 employees went on strike on Aug. 7, after their previous contract expired. They work in the company’s landline division in nine states from Massachusetts to Virginia.

Verizon says that it needs to cut costs in the traditional landline phone business, which is in decline as more Americans switch to mobile phones.

...Verizon spokesman Richard Young said that many of the benefits and work rules were put in place when Verizon faced much less competition in its landline business. “The contracts are not reflective of today’s marketplace,” he said.

...Nearly 30 percent of U.S. homes have dropped landline phone service and rely on mobile phones only, according to the National Center for Health Statistics.

Unions stagnate growth and innovation in so many ways. This is a succinct example. Unions want to protect a pay and benefits package negotiated at a time when the technology supported by their benefactor was completely different than it is now. Even though technological advancement in the marketplace has indicated that what has heretofore supported them is going to eventually cease to exist, they would rather kill the company by forcing it to remain stagnant than allow it to grow.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2011, 12:03:24 PM »
Here's the thing...

...About 45,000 employees went on strike on Aug. 7, after their previous contract expired. They work in the company’s landline division in nine states from Massachusetts to Virginia.

Verizon says that it needs to cut costs in the traditional landline phone business, which is in decline as more Americans switch to mobile phones.

...Verizon spokesman Richard Young said that many of the benefits and work rules were put in place when Verizon faced much less competition in its landline business. “The contracts are not reflective of today’s marketplace,” he said.

...Nearly 30 percent of U.S. homes have dropped landline phone service and rely on mobile phones only, according to the National Center for Health Statistics.

Unions stagnate growth and innovation in so many ways. This is a succinct example. Unions want to protect a pay and benefits package negotiated at a time when the technology supported by their benefactor was completely different than it is now. Even though technological advancement in the marketplace has indicated that what has heretofore supported them is going to eventually cease to exist, they would rather kill the company by forcing it to remain stagnant than allow it to grow.

This they don't get.  Everything about them is me, me, me - my, my my, mine; a short-term vision with little to no idea that in order for any company to stay viable is to adapt.  Talking to some of these folks brings home right quick the misbegotten notion they have that all companies exist, or should, to provide jobs, without a good grasp on just what a job is.  They do not grasp that a job is a piece of work that needs doing; without the work, there is no "job" to do.  There is simply less and less landline work to do and that's not likely to change.

One other thing involved here is that Verizon is contributing toward paying retirees for their prescription costs (Feds subsidize to cover the gap between *here* and Medicare), which I did not know.  Shades of GM.  Thanks to Obamacare, this is going away.

I witnessed all of this years ago with Western Union.  The union was bound and determined that nothing about 'work' should change while the technology had already exceeded the need for so many people.  And they were damned ungrateful about everything connected with 'work'.  Union contract called for two 15-minute breaks a day and an hour for lunch.  Fridays would come, they would take their paychecks, run to the bank during their first break, and then complain bitterly they had to use their break-time to do their banking business.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 12:08:01 PM by Pandora »

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2011, 12:53:09 PM »
...They do not grasp that a job is a piece of work that needs doing; without the work, there is no "job" to do....

Precisely.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2011, 05:14:03 PM »
I seem to recall during the early years of Rush's show, probably sometime around 1992 or 93, he had a segment about a union at a fruit juice processing plant and warehouse. It may have been Tropicana, I'm not sure. Anyhow their big beef was the company using more and more motorized forklifts and other loading equipment. The unions complained about it eliminating jobs because a machine can do the physical work of several people. The company wanted to automate and mechanize as much as possible, because it allowed them to move more product faster, hence they could sell the product more competitively. I'm not sure how that ended up, but that was one of my earliest lessons on how unions stifle innovation and efficiency, and how they are ultimately costs that the consumer (us) must bear.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2011, 06:16:06 PM »

During WWII automobile production ceased, the plants were used to manufacture military parts, and technology grew exponentially.  After the war they wanted to employ this new knowledge of automation and robotics in automobile manufacture and assembly.  Unions   ::speechless:: ::unknowncomic::