Author Topic: Cliff Robertson  (Read 2594 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Cliff Robertson
« on: September 10, 2011, 09:14:51 PM »
...died today. He was 88.

LINK

RIP.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 09:24:51 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Cliff Robertson
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 09:24:50 PM »
Knock this battery off my shoulder. I dare ya.

RIP.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 09:26:10 PM »
No, that was the rather obnoxious Robert Conrad. Cliff was Uncle Ben in Spiderman among other roles.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 09:28:50 PM »
JFK in PT109.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 09:33:18 PM »
Robertson had created a string of impressive performances in television and on Broadway, but always saw his role played in films by bigger names. His TV performances in "Days of Wine and Roses" and "The Hustler," for example, were filmed with Jack Lemmon and Paul Newman, respectively. Robertson's role in Tennessee Williams' play "Orpheus Descending" was awarded to Marlon Brando in the movie.

Robertson first appeared in the "Charly" story in a TV version, "The Two Worlds of Charlie Gordon." Both were based on "Flowers for Algernon," a short story that author Daniel Keyes later revised into a novel. Robertson was determined that this time the big-screen role would not go to another actor.

"I bought the movie rights to the show, and I tried for eight years to persuade a studio to make it," he said in 1968. "Finally I found a new company, ABC Films. I owned 50 percent of the gross, but I gave half of it to Ralph Nelson to direct."

Critic Roger Ebert called Robertson's portrayal "a sensitive, believable one." The motion picture academy agreed, though Robertson was unable to get a break from an overseas movie shoot and was not on hand when his Oscar was announced.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 09:41:17 PM »
Oh geez, I can't believe I got those two mixed up.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 11:26:10 PM »
I've seen him in many things, but I remember him best for Flowers For Algernon.

There was some scandalous doings linked to him in the 80's, I believe; unfairly so as I recall.

RIP, Mr. Robertson.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 11:38:40 PM »
Here's a coincidence for you:

The Military Channel does a movie every weekend. They are planned and advertised weeks in advance. Playing tonight was PT109.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 12:58:14 AM »
I've seen him in many things, but I remember him best for Flowers For Algernon.

There was some scandalous doings linked to him in the 80's, I believe; unfairly so as I recall.

RIP, Mr. Robertson.

I thought he got involved in some sort of blacklist...

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 11:56:06 AM »
JFK in PT109.

A movie , if told factually , would have been about forty minutes long instead of two and one half hours .

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 01:12:38 PM »
JFK in PT109.

A movie , if told factually , would have been about forty minutes long instead of two and one half hours .

True enough. The media loves its Camelot and has been trying to recreate it ever since. Clinton was more like Hamelot. This last one? I think they gave up on it a while back.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 02:22:05 PM »

The movie, if told factually, should have ended with his court martial.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 07:00:01 AM »

Yeah, how many officers that trash their boat and almost get everyone killed or captured wind up being a hero?

Helps to have Daddy, Ruling Class influence and big bucks, eh?

As for Cliff, I liked his brief Midway appearance...but maybe I identify with naval aviators and bars too much...

;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 08:40:08 AM »

It actually almost did ! Daddy got him off the hook ( and paid off the crew to remain silent ) .

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 06:32:22 PM »

It actually almost did ! Daddy got him off the hook ( and paid off the crew to remain silent ) .
It's amazing what you can buy with Scotch! ::hysterical::
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow