Author Topic: Burgers  (Read 4037 times)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Burgers
« on: August 09, 2011, 09:19:51 PM »
I saw this post at Pajamas Media, and had to share.  I left a comment there which is still in moderation.  It should show up shortly.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Burgers
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 09:37:59 PM »
Your comment is still in moderation, so perhaps you can ad-lib it here for us.

As for me, I'm a food "purist" by my own definition of the term:  I don't want a lot of other food in or on my food; if the burger (or anything else) is made well, I don't want six-twelve ingredients in it or on it.  For burgers, cheese/lettuce/tomato/bacon is the limit and don't chop any stinkin' onion in it.  If it's a good burger made with good meat, it'll be good slapped plain on a bun.  The rest is garnish and is sometimes distracting.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 09:54:06 PM »
It seems to be up now.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 10:00:19 PM »
Yep; there 'tis.  Good job.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 10:17:52 PM »
I like the local burger joints or small bar/restaurants that boast the best burgers in town. Usually, they're not idly boasting.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 06:57:47 AM »
I think that is definitely true IDP, some of the chain/franchise outlets can be OK, but the Mom & Pop restraunts often make the best.

Haven't been there in a while but the Border Bar in Stillwater used to be pretty awesome.

There is a 5 Guys in Maple Grove, I might have to go check 'em out sometime.

Hey Rickl, got any pull with Jake's?  Let 'em know we love burgers in Minnie!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 07:21:25 AM »
I think that is definitely true IDP, some of the chain/franchise outlets can be OK, but the Mom & Pop restraunts often make the best.

Haven't been there in a while but the Border Bar in Stillwater used to be pretty awesome....

Ever been to The Lion's Tap between Eden Prairie & Shakopee? I don't even know if it's still there, but they used to boast the "best burgers in town", and they were nummy. Near my town there's two - The Hilltop Bar, and The Millside. Both little bar/restaurants with excellent hamburgers.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 07:35:10 AM »

Haven't been there in a while but the Border Bar in Stillwater used to be pretty awesome....

Ever been to The Lion's Tap between Eden Prairie & Shakopee? I don't even know if it's still there, but they used to boast the "best burgers in town", and they were nummy. Near my town there's two - The Hilltop Bar, and The Millside. Both little bar/restaurants with excellent hamburgers.

I think I might have spilled into the Lion's a long time ago.  I've heard of Hilltop, just south of St. Michael isn't it?  The Millside I am not familiar with, but I bet my BIL knows, being a contractor he's on the road all over Minnesota, as well as parts of WI, IA & ND.

Goody, two more places to add to my list!

::whoohoo::

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 07:51:36 AM »
Some I know rave about Matt's (Jucy Lucy) but it seems to be more of a period atmosphere thing going there.

5-8's Jucy Lucy's some rate better.

Billy's on Grand, another popular meeting place back in the day but I didn't think the food was anything super special.  (I had a buddy who lived next door, so I was there a lot, but most of my meals were liquid)

Haven't been to Joe Senser's (Roseville) in a while, but they used to be pretty good, Champps quality or better.

Miller's on Main actually has pretty good chow, burgers & steaks, and it's kinda of a biker dive.  This is one of my favorite places to hit.  I like to do a lot of my bike riding in the fall and this will be a pit stop for me!

The Shortstop in Coon Rapids used to be pretty good, co-worker lives right by there, says its still pretty good.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 02:42:09 PM »
I hate youse all. ::grumble::

Not many good burgers to be found 'round here - for me - until they rectify the law against medium-rare.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 02:55:20 PM »

That raw stuff gives you worms.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 02:56:47 PM »

That raw stuff gives you worms.

It ain't raw and no it don't.

Shaddap.

;)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 10:51:56 PM »
Never met a burger I didn't like to some degree. Some great and sme are ok but if I'm hungry I don't care I'll eat it.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 06:43:14 AM »
I can ditto that remark.

;D

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 08:31:22 AM »
As for me, I'm a food "purist" by my own definition of the term:  I don't want a lot of other food in or on my food; if the burger (or anything else) is made well, I don't want six-twelve ingredients in it or on it.  For burgers, cheese/lettuce/tomato/bacon is the limit and don't chop any stinkin' onion in it.  If it's a good burger made with good meat, it'll be good slapped plain on a bun.  The rest is garnish and is sometimes distracting.

I had a Five Guys burger last night.  It was pretty good but didn't blow me away or anything.  Actually, you can get them plain--just a burger on a bun.

Since I like toppings, I ordered mine with everything, but failed to notice that "everything" included mushrooms, which I don't like.  Shoulda read the fine print.
~ Ann Barnhardt