Author Topic: Unions to skip Dem Convention  (Read 2325 times)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Unions to skip Dem Convention
« on: August 12, 2011, 05:53:20 PM »
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_DEMOCRATIC_CONVENTION_UNIONS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-08-12-13-58-54

WASHINGTON (AP) -- About a dozen trade unions plan to sit out the 2012 Democratic convention because they're angry that it's being held in a right-to-work state and frustrated that Democrats haven't done enough to create jobs.

The move could pose a larger problem for President Barack Obama next year if an increasingly dispirited base of labor activists becomes so discouraged that it doesn't get the rank-and-file to the polls in the usual strong numbers.

The unions - all part of the AFL-CIO's building and construction trades unit - told party officials this week they are gravely disappointed that labor was not consulted before Democrats settled on Charlotte, N.C., where there are no unionized hotels.

"We find it troubling that the party so closely associated with basic human rights would choose a state with the lowest unionization rate in the country due to regressive policies aimed at diluting the power of workers," Mark Ayers, president of the building trades unit, wrote in a letter to Democratic Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz.

Why am I having trouble giving a chit what the unions think or do? ::lalanotlistening::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: Unions to skip Dem Convention
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 06:34:44 PM »
That's fricking hilarious.  The dems are having their convention in a right to work state.  BEAUTIFUL!

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 06:52:52 PM »
It's cheaper to hold it there. And don't worry about the unions they'll still send the check and voters.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 10:21:57 PM »
It's cheaper to hold it there. And don't worry about the unions they'll still send the check and voters.

I wonder.

There are two unions where I work (I don't belong to either of them). I have hammered them with variation of "How's that 'hope~n~change working for ya?" for years now (gad, it seems like decades!) and initially they resented the crap out of it - and me. Now they're chanting right along with me.

I saw the pressure that the union put on them - I used to routinely rip down the propaganda and tear it up - but these bozos bought the BS that Øbozo was going to be another clinton. They didn't bargain for a commie who would kill the golden goose. Many of their eyes are open now, and I hope thousands more.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 10:26:02 PM »
"We find it troubling that the party so closely associated with basic human rights...

Is he referring to The Abortion Party?

Thought so.

Hypocrite

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 09:30:32 AM »
I think he was referring to basic human rights like permanently latching onto the government teat at the expense of others.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 09:32:41 AM »
I have to admit feeling a bit of pride that my state has the lowest unionization rate in the country. I didn't know that.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 11:11:06 AM »

I wonder.

There are two unions where I work (I don't belong to either of them). I have hammered them with variation of "How's that 'hope~n~change working for ya?" for years now (gad, it seems like decades!) and initially they resented the crap out of it - and me. Now they're chanting right along with me.

I saw the pressure that the union put on them - I used to routinely rip down the propaganda and tear it up - but these bozos bought the BS that Øbozo was going to be another clinton. They didn't bargain for a commie who would kill the golden goose. Many of their eyes are open now, and I hope thousands more.

I have a couple friends, union railroad, who only vote dem because of their false sense of loyality to thier union. Saw one and since I now challenge all stupidity, he was stupid enough to say something, I actually got an agreement, of sorts. While he still maintains the dem party has union concerns at heart (whatever that is), he believes this group is using his union buds. I've maintained with him that the unions have become shills for liberals....and he always resisted. baby steps...baby steps....
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 12:00:38 PM »
While he still maintains the dem party has union concerns at heart (whatever that is), he believes this group is using his union buds. I've maintained with him that the unions have become shills for liberals....and he always resisted. baby steps...baby steps....

I would be inclined to mention the plantation mentality of their masters in North Carolina...http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9P2M6EG1&show_article=1

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 07:39:41 AM »
Regardless , you can bet Richard Trumka's big fat butt will be there .

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 12:27:21 PM »
I suspect a lot of union people will be there anyway, and that they will be instrumental in fomenting trouble.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 12:50:13 PM »
I suspect a lot of union people will be there anyway, and that they will be instrumental in fomenting trouble.

I wouldn't have it any other way.  ::devil::

Ya ever notice what messy, ugly affairs them DNC shindigs tend to be?

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 12:57:23 PM »
They're relocating the main downtown bus terminal in Charlotte because its proximity to the convention at Time Warner Arena would be, uh, unseemly for the Democrats' media circus. Ever notice the Democratic National Convention, no matter what city it's in, always makes a big effort of sweeping aside evidence of their core constituencies? Because I can guarantee you that bus terminal -- which is a frequent hot spot of "urban problems" -- is peopled exclusively by a very loyal Democrat constituency.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 07:58:05 PM »
Summer of '68 revisited?

::stirpot::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 09:17:56 PM »
Summer of '68 revisited?

::stirpot::

Wait for it.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 09:52:07 PM »
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 09:51:56 AM by AlanS »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 09:57:28 PM »
 ::saywhat::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 09:51:18 AM »
::saywhat::

Sorry about that. Wrong emoticon. That's what I get for posting past bedtime. ::laughonfloor::

Thomas Jefferson