Author Topic: Iowa Straw Poll Results  (Read 3011 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Iowa Straw Poll Results
« on: August 13, 2011, 06:40:09 PM »
Drudge Had This As His Headline: "And The Winner Is: Bachmann"

This is actually somewhat surprising in that Paul didn't win. Paul, as most of you know, is notorious for cheating wherever and whenever he can in a vain and somewhat desperate ongoing ploy to make people believe his fringe views are mainstream. The cheating in straw polls usually takes shape in bussing in ineligible voters.

So...what happened here?

Did Paul screw up? Or was Bachmann just that much more a winner?

Paul did finish second. Results below:

1. Congresswoman Michele Bachmann (4823, 28.55%)

2. Congressman Ron Paul (4671, 27.65%)

3. Governor Tim Pawlenty (2293, 13.57%)

4. Senator Rick Santorum (1657, 9.81%)

5. Herman Cain (1456, 8.62%)

6. Governor Rick Perry (718, 3.62%) write-in

7. Governor Mitt Romney (567, 3.36%)

8. Speaker Newt Gingrich (385, 2.28%)

9. Governor Jon Huntsman (69, 0.41%)

10. Congressman Thad McCotter (35, 0.21%)

Thoughts? Opinions?
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Re: Iowa Straw Poll Results
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 06:50:36 PM »
Perry did surprisingly well given that 1) He announced today and 2) he was a write-in.

Romney didn't participate in the straw poll but he should have finished ahead of Perry given his exposure, name recognition, etc.

No write-in votes for Palin is a surprise, too.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 07:57:32 PM »

Everybody knows Palin is in it hard ... to neutralize the Ruling Class.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 08:00:21 PM »

Everybody knows Palin is in it hard ... to neutralize the Ruling Class.

As long as she's successful, I don't care if she runs or not.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 08:59:44 PM »
The botom three need to quit now.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 11:36:38 PM »

How about the bottom 4.....He needs to stay in his home state and fix romneycare.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 12:42:45 AM »

How about the bottom 4.....He needs to stay in his home state and fix romneycare.

Yes, but the first step is admitting that there is a problem and he isn't to that point yet.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 01:03:39 AM »
T-Paw's 3rd was very distant.

But I remember McCain. He was traveling light; Taking taxis and rental cars; carrying his own suitcase; out of campaign money. Then came the caucus. And the primaries.

Somehow the GOP machine produced the candidate the establishment chose.

These establishment candidates aren't done until they quit the race. Bachmann's win is impressive, but not necessarily indicative of the direction of the party. Expect the Rovians and the Krauthammers and the Kristols to intensify their effort to undercut her.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 01:18:45 AM »
A true conservative, unafraid to champion those values is like Krypontite to the establishment. Last time we saw that was with Reagan. Not saying Bachmann is Reagan but if she sticks to her guns she could go quite far.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 08:19:54 AM »
I just saw some comments at AoS saying that Pawlenty has dropped out.  I don't see it on Drudge yet.

ETA:  Here it is:  http://www.startribune.com/local/127679573.html
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 09:02:30 AM »
Pawlenty was in this race based on the old dynamic. It was a practical matter for him to be in it. It made sense according to the way things were when he was coming up the ranks. Based on the the reality of how things have changed, it is a practical matter for him to decide to opt out now.

Frankly, unless he screws up badly, I don't see any way that Rick Perry is not the nominee. Conservatives looking for an executive who have withheld their support from Romney will flock to him as the answer, and he'll make sense to Romney supporters as well. He's the guy who'll bridge the gap between fiscal conservatives and social conservatives.

I don't know enough about him to feel one way or the other about that, and that makes me nervous.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 09:22:52 AM »
I generally like AoS, but I've noticed a few things there:

1.  The Palin hate is so bad I sometimes have to check to see if I'm not reading Daily Kos.

2.  I frequently see references to not only "Paulbots", but also "Palinbots".  Yet many of those same commenters don't seem to notice that they're chugging the Perry kool-aid by the gallon.

I have strong misgivings about Perry.  He seems to be yet another internationalist who is questionable about illegal immigration and border security.  That said, I'll vote for him if he is the nominee.  I can't say the same for Romney.

ETA:  OMG.  I just looked over there again and saw several comments that seemed to imply that Perry has the nomination locked up, and they're discussing his VP running mate.

Seriously, folks, step away from that big galvanized Kool-Aid tub.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 09:40:35 AM by rickl »
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

charlesoakwood

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 09:50:18 AM »
T-Paw's 3rd was very distant.

But I remember McCain. He was traveling light; Taking taxis and rental cars; carrying his own suitcase; out of campaign money. Then came the caucus. And the primaries.

These establishment candidates aren't done until they quit the race. Bachmann's win is impressive, but not necessarily indicative of the direction of the party. Expect the Rovians and the Krauthammers and the Kristols to intensify their effort to undercut her.

You're correct.  It will not only be the Ruling Class Establishment big dogs but all of those invested in their continuation.  They will show their MSM colors.

Liz Trotta, for whom I had respect,  a former New York bureau chief of the Washington Times and a FOX News contributor, a rational commentator,  voiced opinion about the Newsweek cover with Bachmann that she was glad Tina Brown published it because Michele did look & is crazy.  It was a shocker.  They will be everywhere with subterfuge, misdirection and deceit. 

Pandora, it's going to be a long list.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 10:04:40 AM »

2.  I frequently see references to not only "Paulbots", but also "Palinbots".  Yet many of those same commenters don't seem to notice that they're chugging the Perry kool-aid by the gallon.

Although she may yet throw her hat in, I suspect Palin may have missed her opportunity.
Could be wrong since she is a "rogue"
I find her much stronger than Bachmann.

Her common sense, folksy way of boiling things down to simple explanations is Reaganesque.

I have strong misgivings about Perry.  He seems to be yet another internationalist who is questionable about illegal immigration and border security.  That said, I'll vote for him if he is the nominee.  I can't say the same for Romney.

I,too, have strong misgivings about Perry

ETA:  OMG.  I just looked over there again and saw several comments that seemed to imply that Perry has the nomination locked up, and they're discussing his VP running mate.

Long road ahead and we don't know where the twists and turns are.
Changing events could make a big difference

Perry's not inevitable

I hope I don't have to hold my nose again

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 10:50:39 AM »
...and like clockwork, the establishment conservative mouthpieces begin doing the Left's work....

How Loyal Are Bachmann Supporters?

Let's just say that according to John McCormack at "The Weekly Standard", not very loyal at all.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 11:00:04 AM »

This is actually somewhat surprising in that Paul didn't win. Paul, as most of you know, is notorious for cheating wherever and whenever he can in a vain and somewhat desperate ongoing ploy to make people believe his fringe views are mainstream. The cheating in straw polls usually takes shape in bussing in ineligible voters.

So...what happened here?

Did Paul screw up? Or was Bachmann just that much more a winner?

Paul did finish second. Results below:

1. Congresswoman Michele Bachmann (4823, 28.55%)

2. Congressman Ron Paul (4671, 27.65%)

3. Governor Tim Pawlenty (2293, 13.57%)

4. Senator Rick Santorum (1657, 9.81%)

5. Herman Cain (1456, 8.62%)

6. Governor Rick Perry (718, 3.62%) write-in

7. Governor Mitt Romney (567, 3.36%)

8. Speaker Newt Gingrich (385, 2.28%)

9. Governor Jon Huntsman (69, 0.41%)

10. Congressman Thad McCotter (35, 0.21%)

Thoughts? Opinions?
I was a Straw Poll volunteer this time around and we were verifying valid IA drivers license, and used the Iraqi finger too!
Mine is still blue. ::USA:: ::whoohoo::  
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 11:03:03 AM »
I was a Straw Poll volunteer this time around and we were verifying valid IA drivers license, and used the Iraqi finger too!

Why the HELL can't we do that for real elections???!!!???
~ Ann Barnhardt

charlesoakwood

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 11:18:36 AM »

What think all ye of a sticky list, as list such as one Pandora refers to that we may add the name and reference to each published nave who calls himself Conservative or Republican.  Let the top of the topic be the alphabetized list with reference and the rest of the topic numbers be the commentators entries.

I submit:
Liz Trotta, on Fox News Watch Sunday, [witnessed Sat. night]  voiced opinion about the Newsweek cover with Bachmann that she was glad Tina Brown published it because Michele Bachmann] did look & is crazy.
http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,2461.msg27880.html#msg27880

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 11:38:31 AM »

Kudos to you for taking an active role  ::thumbsup::

charlesoakwood

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 11:42:23 AM »

::thumbsup::