Author Topic: Perry Regretting HPV Vaccine Mandate  (Read 3886 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

Re: Perry Regretting HPV Vaccine Mandate
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 10:15:55 AM »

Perry explained that, in his zeal to protect children, he went too far.

“I signed an executive order that allowed for an opt-out, but the fact of the matter is I didn’t do my research well enough to understand that we needed to have a substantial conversation with our citizenry,” he said. “I hate cancer. Let me tell you, as a son who has a mother and father who are both cancer survivors.”

Read an article saying it was his wife, a graduate nurse, promoted the idea to him.
This will not be the last time he's asked about it.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 10:18:36 AM »
Merck lobbied him, hard.  High-level staffer involved too.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 10:40:27 AM »
It's amazing how these pols have regrets now that they are out there trying to win an election
I question the soundness of their judgement in the first place

Also saw (somewhere)  his excuse for supporting Al Gore in 1988

He claimed that Al was a different guy before he invented the internet.
What I saw was Al still thought greenhouse gasses were the problem then,too
And other clues to being a nut case.

Can't lay my fingers on where I saw it but I'll keep looking

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 10:50:56 AM »
I found the source.
I know, it's Politico
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0811/61428.html

I will grant that there are many things that I view much differently than I did 25 years ago.
Heck, even 3 years ago.

I'd give Perry a pass on this Al Gore thing
Couple other things, not so sure

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 10:59:03 AM »
http://peskytruth.wordpress.com/2011/07/19/rick-perrys-negatives/

H/T Mike C.

Haven't finished reading it yet; I thought I'd just toss it up for everyone's edification.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 11:32:03 AM »
So he was for it before he was against it? ::thinking::

As far as campaigning for Algore, I'm not so quick to forgive.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 11:36:08 AM »
http://peskytruth.wordpress.com/2011/07/19/rick-perrys-negatives/

H/T Mike C.

Haven't finished reading it yet; I thought I'd just toss it up for everyone's edification.

IMO he has some vulnerability on Gardasil, Taxes (has raised sin taxes etc) & Immigration (TX Dream Act had him over the barrel, but he could have vetoed and let legislature override him, his poop would be clean in that case...and his positions on border are not Arizona enough for me).  Honorable mention would go to the Bilderberg crap, not because I buy into that global conspiracy crap, more because too many on that invitee lists are Ruling Class clowns and it just looks bad.  The remaining issues look weak or really weak to me.  My two bits anyway.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 11:39:21 AM »

I know.

But either AlGore provided the cathartic response causing him to part ways with the DemonRat party or he's full of crap.  I'll error on the side of patience and give him a little slack, but he proves my tentative restraint misplaced and I'll jerk that rope tight!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 11:41:29 AM »
18. Rick Perry is way too chummy with Muslims
(publishing 8/16/11)

Can't wait to see what this is about...

::facepalm::

charlesoakwood

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 01:40:56 PM »

I know.

But either AlGore provided the cathartic response causing him to part ways with the DemonRat party or he's full of crap.  I'll error on the side of patience and give him a little slack, but he proves my tentative restraint misplaced and I'll jerk that rope tight!

I may stand corrected but most of rural Texas was Democrat in the '80s.
Today the rural is going Republican and the metro is going Democrat.  The two biggest counties are close to flipping and if the Pubbies aren't careful it will flip the state. 

Wasn't he Lt. Governor at the time, an elected official at the time anyway and a Democrat, therefore, being chair for Gore would  have been good for the CV, it seems a natural thing to have done.

That he saw the light and has proved it in deed seems more important.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 03:48:58 PM »
Any politician is gonna have 'splainin' to do over one thing or another. The question then becomes, "do I believe the explanation".

I have to say for myself that an explanation without admission of a mistake seems like pandering and justification, every single time. Admissions of mistakes made - and better yet, apologies for them - goes a long way with me. But even then, I'm looking for a sign of authenticity.

I buy Perry's admission, but I also can't shake the sense that he's an awful lot like George W. Bush. Eerily so at times.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 04:38:08 PM »

They were born in Texas.
They are devout Christians.
They flew airplanes.
They are both male.

That's about it.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 05:03:57 PM »

Bushies slam Rick Perry's Ben Bernanke comment

Rick Perry’s attack on Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke – calling the country’s central banker “almost treasonous” for adopting quantitative easing policy – has drawn a sharp round of rebukes from former Bush administration officials, starting with known Perry skeptic Karl Rove.

[Turd Blossom] Rove blasted on Fox News (via GOP12):

[blockquote]
“It's his first time on the national stage, and it was a very unfortunate comment. You don't accuse the chairman of the federal reserve of being a traitor to his country and being guilty of treason and suggesting that we treat him pretty ugly in Texas — that's not, again, a presidential statement … Governor Perry is going to have to fight the impression that he's a cowboy from Texas. This simply added to it.”
[/blockquote]

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 05:25:38 PM »
I'm not a Perry cheerleader, but my estimation of him can only go up if the likes of Rove don't like him. Words cannot adequately express how much I loathe that pudgy tub of sh*t.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 05:49:32 PM »
I'm not a Perry cheerleader, but my estimation of him can only go up if the likes of Rove don't like him. Words cannot adequately express how much I loathe that pudgy tub of sh*t.

That is a DEFINITE plus in the Perry category.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 05:50:58 PM »
Any politician is gonna have 'splainin' to do over one thing or another. The question then becomes, "do I believe the explanation".

I have to say for myself that an explanation without admission of a mistake seems like pandering and justification, every single time. Admissions of mistakes made - and better yet, apologies for them - goes a long way with me. But even then, I'm looking for a sign of authenticity.

I buy Perry's admission, but I also can't shake the sense that he's an awful lot like George W. Bush. Eerily so at times.

We go with Perry, we're going to have to fight him tooth and nail on the illegal alien/amnesty issue.

To wit:

But the effort to combat disease and illness requires greater cooperative efforts between our two nations. It is a simple truth that disease knows no boundaries. An outbreak of drug-resistant tuberculosis, for example, endangers citizens of both our nations. We have much to gain if we work together to expand preventative care, and treat maladies unique to this region.

Legislation authored by border legislators Pat Haggerty and Eddie Lucio establishes an important study that will look at the feasibility of bi-national health insurance. This study recognizes that the Mexican and U.S. sides of the border compose one region, and we must address health care problems throughout that region. That’s why I am also excited that Texas Secretary of State Henry Cuellar is working on an initiative that could extend the benefits of telemedicine to individuals living on the Mexican side of the border.

As a compassionate state, we know that for our children to succeed, they must not only be healthy, but educated. The future leaders of our two nations are learning their fractions and their ABC’s in classrooms all along this border. Immigrants from around the world are being taught in Texas classrooms, and our history is rich with examples of new citizens who have made great contributions. We must say to every Texas child learning in a Texas classroom, “we don’t care where you come from, but where you are going, and we are going to do everything we can to help you get there.” And that vision must include the children of undocumented workers. That’s why Texas took the national lead in allowing such deserving young minds to attend a Texas college at a resident rate. Those young minds are a part of a new generation of leaders, the doors of higher education must be open to them. The message is simple: educacion es el futuro, y si se puede.

President Fox’s vision for an open border is a vision I embrace, as long as we demonstrate the will to address the obstacles to it.

The rest.

Now, this speech is from August, 2001.  His thinking may have changed since then and maybe it hasn't.

Don't shoot the messenger, please.  I report, you decide.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 05:54:16 PM »

ETA:
        [Perry] He added, “We’ve already tried this. All it’s going to be doing is devaluing the dollar in your pocket and we cannot afford that. We have to learn the lessons of the past three years that they’ve been devastating. The President of the United States has conducted an experiment on the American economy for almost the last three years, and it has gone tragically wrong and we need to send him a clear message in November of 2012 that new leadership is coming.”

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 06:21:22 PM »

They were born in Texas.
They are devout Christians.
They flew airplanes.
They are both male.

That's about it.

No, it's more than that. The swagger (which doesn't bother me a bit, BTW). The cadence of speech and tone of voice. The hand gestures, facial expressions. The squint in the eye.

I'm talking about non-policy similarities. He just reminds me of Bush.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 06:34:03 PM »
IDP is right, there is a strong similarity to Bush on all those counts. And yes, it will be a liability for Perry. An insurmountable liability? Given the state of affairs under the present "leadership", probably not. But combined with the other demerits on Perry's scorecard, he's not my choice for nominee.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly