Author Topic: Hmmm...I might just ditch my Mossberg 500 for this  (Read 5222 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Re: Hmmm...I might just ditch my Mossberg 500 for this
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 10:38:17 PM »
There has got to be a better way to make slaw.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 11:33:49 PM »
It's just darned scary looking.  Which is what I want in a home defense weapon.  Very scary and very deadly. 

Besides, with the bayonet attached, after you run out of ammo (which would be a while...did you see the ammo holder in the butt stock?) you can do something besides use it as a club.

So I will be talking to my firearms dealer about this one.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 11:47:01 PM »
And speaking of home defense type stuff...

I just got a Lenser flashlight at Home Depot last week.  95 lumens of blinding white LED light.  It will seriously hurt someone's eyes if you shine it there.  Cost about $34 bucks and is no bigger than the wimpy LED flashlights that you can pick up anywhere now for less than $10.

I have since done a little looking on the web and found that Lenser flashlights are available in much higher lumen outputs for not much more cash.  This one, for instance, puts out 220 lumens (hurts my eyes just thinking about that) for $80 bucks.  Or this one that does 167 lumens for about $65 bucks.

And then there are lasers.  I like these.  The E2 series puts out up to 100mW of power for about $50 bucks.  That's pretty damned good when you consider that most of the pointers you see are outputting somewhere south of 5mW to 10mW.  They even have ones that will pop balloons and light fires if you need something really macho.  Anyway, strap one of these to your gun and you may not need to shoot it.

BTW...If you are searching for the absolute most powerful flashlight there is then look no further than Wicked Lasers.  They have one with the ridiculous output of 4100 lumens for around $200 bucks.  It will burn paper and light matches and, of course, fry eyeballs.  Besides the hefty price, the downside is that battery life for this monster is only about five minutes.  So not exactly practical, just for those who insist on having the biggest stick in any group.

Another thought... you could almost certainly get one of these things past TSA security and it would be a potent defense against terrorists on an airplane.  I'm not kidding.  A hundred lumens in the eyes really, really hurts.  I can only imagine the pain caused by over 200 lumens.  And the lasers?  Don't even go there.

Just for fun:  Have a look at this.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 12:14:17 AM by trapeze »

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 01:21:26 AM »
I have a Lenser T7 that does 167 lumens with four AAA batteries. It's small and handy, and the reflector produces the cleanest, sharpest beam of any adjustable spot/flood I've seen. It can easily be carried around in a pocket.

I also have a Fenix TK40 that throws out 630 lumens in the highest setting. It has three lower settings, and all the settings have an alternate mode (slow strobe, SOS, slow flash, fast strobe). The fast strobe is at the full 630 lumen output, and it would make an excellent weapon light because it's extremely disorienting to anyone you shine it at, but not so for anyone behind the light. This one uses eight AA batteries.

I use the new generation NiMH rechargeables in both lights. They're better at providing high current output than alkalines, and of course can be used over and over.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 01:37:58 AM »
I have a Lenser T7 that does 167 lumens with four AAA batteries. It's small and handy, and the reflector produces the cleanest, sharpest beam of any adjustable spot/flood I've seen. It can easily be carried around in a pocket.

I also have a Fenix TK40 that throws out 630 lumens in the highest setting. It has three lower settings, and all the settings have an alternate mode (slow strobe, SOS, slow flash, fast strobe). The fast strobe is at the full 630 lumen output, and it would make an excellent weapon light because it's extremely disorienting to anyone you shine it at, but not so for anyone behind the light. This one uses eight AA batteries.

I use the new generation NiMH rechargeables in both lights. They're better at providing high current output than alkalines, and of course can be used over and over.

Hey, how about a link or two?  Especially the Fenix.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 01:48:49 AM »
Fenix TK40 - http://www.fenixlight.com/viewproduct.asp?id=94

Another cool feature of the Fenix is that it uses digitally regulated output, so it maintains constant brightness without dimming as the batteries drain. When the batteries are about shot, the light will start flickering.

Lenser T7 - http://www.zweibrueder.com/ENG/produkte/html_highperformance/html_Tserie/t7.php?id=t7

I heartily and without hesitation recommend both of these. The Fenix would be suitable for mounting on a rifle or shotgun, though I'm not sure if any brackets are made specific for it.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 01:11:18 AM »
It's too bad these things are all made by the ChiComms.

Offline The_Basseteer

• Newb
    • Où Sont Les Escargots D'Antan?
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 10:45:29 AM »
Hmmmm bayonet.... My bedroom gun is a Remington 870 with an 18 1/2 inch barrel and a 2 round magazine extension. One of the things my Dad left me when he died last August was a 1903  bayonet (Dad was a Marine in the Solomons) and a Model 1917 .30 Rifle, (Eddystone Arsenal). Mounting a bayonet lug on the end of the mag extension would be pretty easy.
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."--G.K. Chesterton

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 10:47:51 AM »
Hmmmm bayonet.... My bedroom gun is a Remington 870 with an 18 1/2 inch barrel and a 2 round magazine extension. One of the things my Dad left me when he died last August was a 1903  bayonet (Dad was a Marine in the Solomons) and a Model 1917 .30 Rifle, (Eddystone Arsenal). Mounting a bayonet lug on the end of the mag extension would be pretty easy.

We'll be looking forward to photos of your project!

And welcome aboard Basseteer!
 ::whoohoo::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 01:32:13 PM »
Hmmmm, bayonet lug. Yes...yes. That would go nicely with my grenade launcher. Yes!

Actually I went a different direction with my 870. My imperative was maneuverability in close quarters and in the dark (think burglar). I also like things that go Boom in the night  ::thumbsup:: I too have the 18" barrel so I added an extender tube to augment the capacity, and then installed a top-folding stock to shorten the overall by about 9".

Looks something like this:

Except that I also added a heatshield with a forward sight and a light.