Author Topic: Reality Check  (Read 1035 times)

charlesoakwood

Reality Check
« on: August 17, 2011, 11:59:59 PM »

http://www.redstate.com/erick/2011/08/17/why-it-is-still-romneys-race-to-lose/

[blockquote]
What we have now is a five way race for the primary: Michele Bachmann, Jon Huntsman, Ron Paul, Rick Perry, and Mitt Romney.

Neither Huntsman nor Paul, at this point, have a path to victory, but their voters could be deeply influential in picking the nominee — ironically, though polling at a smaller percentage, Huntsman’s voters will have more influence than Paul’s because Paul’s are largely of the “Paul or nobody” variety. Huntsman likewise has not yet begun to fight with his money, so we can’t count him out just yet.

Yes, Herman Cain’s voters, Newt Gingrich’s, and Rick Santorum’s will also play a role, but those candidates themselves have ceased to be relevant in 2012 and, despite my highlighting Trende’s points about early conventional wisdom, these candidates will not regain any relevance. Their paths to victory are gone for good.

So why is it still Mitt Romney’s race? Two things: money and Karl Rove.
[/blockquote]

No body from the ruling class.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: Reality Check
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 12:13:45 AM »
I don't have all that much faith in Erick's prognosticative gifts.

My own gut instinct is that this race isn't that simple.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 06:39:03 AM »

I agree. I give his soothsayer skills about as much credence as those of Dick Morris. He's on our side, good to have around, but he's wrong - a lot.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 07:30:04 AM »
I'll echo that sentiment.

;)

But seeing The Butthead's name connected with Romney sure hits a nerve!

All Rovian's and Rovian candidates...any Ruling Class schmuck...should be utterly crushed!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 09:31:20 AM »
I agree, this sounds like an oversimplification. I don't think Huntsman is any more relevant than Cain, and probably less. Every time I see his name mentioned, or the insinuation that he and his supporters (i.e. the last administration's staffers) have a role to play, my spidey-sense alerts me to Ruling Class manipulation afoot.

I've decided to go with an oversimplification of my own: whichever candidate the Ruling Class is most against, that is who I want.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 10:42:04 AM »

I agree on both parts, however the complete article and information contained therein contains information pertinent to making an individual decision.

IDP
 I agree. I give his soothsayer skills about as much credence as those of Dick Morris. He's on our side, good to have around, but he's wrong - a lot.

Perfect analogy, however, Morris does bring tidbits of information to the table that would otherwise go unknown.