Author Topic: Perry vs the Bushies  (Read 960 times)

charlesoakwood

Perry vs the Bushies
« on: August 18, 2011, 08:01:03 PM »

or, PTOS continues to foul the punch bowl

[blockquote]
Karl Rove and his operatives appear to have launched a campaign to derail Rick Perry’s 2012 bid, beginning with criticisms that he is 'unpresidential.' Matt Latimer on a decade-old feud over power and money.

Just because Karl Rove is behind a plot doesn’t necessarily mean it won’t work.  That we’re still talking about the former Bush aide at all is a testament to his singular tenacity.

How has he done it? The man helped elect the Pelosi Congress—it was Rove who in 2006 was in charge of holding on to GOP majorities in the House and Senate. He helped elect Barack Obama—insisting that John McCain was the only “electable” Republican in 2008 and bad-mouthing most of the others running. His indispensable support of his boss' overspending and government bailouts even helped create the Tea Party, which has bedeviled Rove and other GOP establishment figures ever since.

And yet ...

[/blockquote]

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: Perry vs the Bushies
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 08:39:40 PM »
There are most definitely issues with Perry.

BUT...that said, the fact that Rove wants to destroy him makes it almost impossible for me to not support him at some point. And probably sooner rather than later.

Rove would probably be targeting Bachmann, too, if he thought she had any chance at all of beating the establishment candidate...that being, apparently, Romney.

I have had enough of Rove and his Machiavellian machinations which are all designed to keep him in the driver's seat behind the scenes. The power behind the powerful. Turns my stomach.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 09:23:25 PM »

Rick Perry and the horserace

[blockquote]
Here is Rick Perry’s problem.

Carole Strayhorn [her son, Scott McClellan was Bush's press secretary] ran against Perry in the GOP primary in 2006. She and her consultants had their butts handed to them by Perry and his team.

Karl Rove was a key player, despite his occasional denials, in Kay Bailey Hutchison’s defeat at Rick Perry’s hands last year in the Republican primary for Texas Governor.

Even Obama’s campaign guy, David Axelrod, has been crushed by Rick Perry.

So you have these guys, the Romney camp, and all their related friends on the left and the right trying to settle every score they can with Perry and his consultant, Dave Carney.

This, by the way, is why the attacks are coming fast and furious right now. This is why Republicans are leaking to reporters that Perry is too out of control or has, as Alex Castellanos put it on CNN last night, “Mad Cowboy Disease.”

Because so much of the consultant class will be shut out of the White House should Rick Perry win, their livelihoods depend on Rick Perry losing either now or in November. And frankly, for a few in the GOP consultant class, they’ll gladly see Perry lose in November just to ensure they are not shut out of a Republican White House.

For all the talk of Perry being an establishment guy, the establishment hates his guts as much as the left does. That’s one reason the base finds him so endearing. See, for example, this more expansive column by Matt Lattimer on the Rove v. Perry history, which tracks with my own thinking on this.

The Perry campaign will have to withstand a lot to keep standing. This, more than any other reason, is why Perry cannot be considered the front runner just yet. It’s going to take weeks of this to see if he can hold up and hold up his polling. Keep in mind that the Republicans and Democrats are both playing at cross purposes with Perry right now. The GOP wants to convince Republican primary voters that Perry is too radioactive to be able to take on Obama. The Democrats want to play off that and scare the mess out of swing voters.

We’re going to be hearing a lot about Barry Goldwater for the next few months. They’ll ignore the Reagan comparison, which the Democrats used to play off Reagan to no avail in 1980.

Oh, and on top of all of that, he has both Sarah Palin fans and Ron Paul fans lined up against him to prove how un-conservative he is. I do not envy Rick Perry right now.

[/blockquote]

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 10:24:14 PM »
I told my wife that if Perry gets any traction coming out of the box that the attacks would start right away. Lat night dick Morris was out there hawking his book and website and bang he started up. He's very subtle but nut that slick she turned and said he's pushing Mitt by not even saying his name.

Point being they're all going to be out there as long as Perry has any traction.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 12:40:05 AM »
Looks like rove didn't read my memo where I told him I was firmly in the AABO Club - Almost Anyone But Obama...About the only thing that I am rock-steady about in this upcoming election is the fact that I will not vote for mitt. ::doublebird::

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 06:38:43 AM »
Because so much of the consultant class will be shut out of the White House should Rick Perry win, their livelihoods depend on Rick Perry losing either now or in November. And frankly, for a few in the GOP consultant class, they’ll gladly see Perry lose in November just to ensure they are not shut out of a Republican White House.

I think we have a winner.  It isn't substantive policy differences; it's just different factions in the Republican establishment vying for power.

I would amend the last sentence thusly:
And frankly, for a few in the GOP consultant class, they’ll gladly see Perry lose in November just to ensure they are not shut out of a future Republican White House.

Of course, they're making the assumption that we'll still have elections after four more years of Obama.  That's a rather rash assumption to make, in my opinion.

I heard Rush say yesterday that among the top Republicans who are urging Paul Ryan to get in the race are Karl Rove, Jeb Bush, Mitch McConnell, and Bill Bennett.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 07:40:12 AM »
It's ironic that McConnell would want Paul Ryan to get in since Ryan had some kind of plan for slowing down government growth

Mitch is opposed to that

charlesoakwood

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 09:21:34 AM »
It's ironic that McConnell would want Paul Ryan to get in since Ryan had some kind of plan for slowing down government growth

Mitch is opposed to that

That is an indication how much the Ruling Class establishment is fighting against the TeaParty.
That they fear Perry more than, at this moment, Bachmann is only another indication of their poor judgement.
The TeaParty will be fighting PTOS sow Republicans and Democrats.