Author Topic: Libyan revolt news  (Read 5036 times)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Libyan revolt news
« on: February 27, 2011, 12:08:05 AM »
This is the photo on the front page at Drudge:

Heh.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: Libyan revolt news
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 12:16:58 AM »
The Bamster is truly an inspiration.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 12:25:48 AM »

Maybe Libya would want him.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 10:26:36 AM »

Maybe Libya would want him.

You mean "Lybia" don't ya?!   ::hysterical:: ::hysterical:: ::hysterical::

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 11:08:54 AM »
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 10:28:09 PM »
When I hear the phrase "move assets around" it usually means putting a carrier task force and perhaps a MEU or two at the ready.  Regardless, a carrier will have to come into play to enforce any no-fly zone, or else many a refueling tanker will be sortied to cover NATO aircraft out of Italy.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e588cd5c-4338-11e0-aef2-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1FJnYD29E
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 11:46:45 PM »

or else many a refueling tanker will be sortied to cover NATO aircraft out of Italy.

eyue no, that's noxious

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 06:04:29 AM »
In a related story , Secy. of State Hillary Clinton has announced that the Obama Administration is considering acting unilaterally to enforce a "no fly zone" over Charlie Sheen .

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 11:08:11 AM »
Wow, bold move for a leftard!   ::hysterical::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 12:50:26 PM »
Sounds like Enterprise is heading back into the Med, but now the Rooskies are pooh-poohing the idea of a no-fly zone.

Poor Rooskies, still trying to pretend like anybody gives a rip what they think!

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 01:21:25 PM »
Uh-oh. Now I guess they're going to send in one of their carriers too.  ::hysterical::
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 01:35:12 PM »
Yeah!  The Varyag was sold to the ChiCom's and the Kuznetsov hasn't done diddly squat since catching fire off Turkey in 2009.  Those Rooskie fuster-clucks can't deploy anything larger than a cruiser now.  And even then they have only one operational Kirov class and the one Slava class available.   ::hysterical::

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 03:11:42 PM »
Yeah!  The Varyag was sold to the ChiCom's and the Kuznetsov hasn't done diddly squat since catching fire off Turkey in 2009.  Those Rooskie fuster-clucks can't deploy anything larger than a cruiser now.  And even then they have only one operational Kirov class and the one Slava class available.   ::hysterical::

Do the Kirov and Slava class carriers have steam catapaults or do their jets need a running start ?

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 03:55:24 PM »
The Russians do have one major advantage though: a leader with balls who doesn't hate his own country.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 04:18:13 PM »

Do the Kirov and Slava class carriers have steam catapaults or do their jets need a running start ?

The Kuznetsov is their only carrier now, and it is holed up in port right now, and it uses the ski-jump so a running start it is...and if their aircraft have any stall issues...plop!  The Kirov's & Slava are cruisers and 4 out of 6 are down for overhaul.  The Red Navy is pretty weak, especially in surface ships.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 04:18:57 PM »
The Russians do have one major advantage though: a leader with balls who doesn't hate his own country.

Yeah, balls and no brains trumps no balls and no brains!  

::unknowncomic::

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 04:25:46 PM »
The Kuznetsov is their only carrier now, and it is holed up in port right now, and it uses the ski-jump so a running start it is...and if their aircraft have any stall issues...plop!  The Kirov's & Slava are cruisers and 4 out of 6 are down for overhaul.  The Red Navy is pretty weak, especially in surface ships.

I don't think I'd fancy a cruise with their subsurface fleet either. Torpedoes detonating inside the sub (personally I would prefer a few thousand meters away), reactors dependent on molten sodium as a coolant, and whatever the mechanism is that manipulates the control rods, well theirs was designed with crew safety somewhere below #1 priority.

Was it Westinghouse who made the first submarine reactor? I remember seeing an old 60s era documentary where they showed the ingenious mechanism for controlling it, basically a screw surrounded by an electromagnet that would turn the screw by reversing the magnetic poles. I think the Russkies had to send some poor sap in there to do it by hand.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 04:35:00 PM »

I don't think I'd fancy a cruise with their subsurface fleet either. Torpedoes detonating inside the sub (personally I would prefer a few thousand meters away), reactors dependent on molten sodium as a coolant, and whatever the mechanism is that manipulates the control rods, well theirs was designed with crew safety somewhere below #1 priority.

Was it Westinghouse who made the first submarine reactor? I remember seeing an old 60s era documentary where they showed the ingenious mechanism for controlling it, basically a screw surrounded by an electromagnet that would turn the screw by reversing the magnetic poles. I think the Russkies had to send some poor sap in there to do it by hand.

True.  Wasn't the Kursk a torpedo incident that caused its demise?  And they have had numerous reactor issues.  I don't think they've every fully declassified all their dirty laundry.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 04:39:47 PM »
Yes, the Kursk was done in by one of her own torpedoes. They didn't find conclusive evidence until they raised it, which was a few years later. Prior to that everyone was heavily insinuating the world's favorite bogey man (us) had something to do with it. I'm sure there are some who still insist the US did it. The same morons accuse us of sinking that South Korean ship a few months ago.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 04:43:32 PM »
Yeah, I think if we hit 'em, something would have leaked about about it by now...

Russian incompetence and substandard workmanship have probably killed more of their countrymen than anything the West ever did...

:P