Author Topic: Well-Meaning or Not, Obama Threatens America  (Read 2088 times)

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Well-Meaning or Not, Obama Threatens America
« on: February 27, 2011, 11:27:32 AM »
(Pardon the excerpt but it's a long (and thoughtful!) piece...)

In an Feb. 14 Wall Street Journal article, Michael Medved asserts, by way of title, “Obama Isn’t Trying to ‘Weaken America.’” A film critic and generally conservative cultural commentator, Medved only approaches the primary thrust of his argument in his final paragraph when he writes:

Americans may not see a given president as their advocate, but they’re hardly disposed to view him as their enemy — and a furtive, determined enemy at that. For 2012, Republicans face a daunting challenge in running against the president. That challenge becomes impossible if they’re also perceived as running against the presidency.

As a 2012 political strategy, Medved’s final point is, as far as it goes, reasonable. However, the rest of his essay often argues against his thesis, which seems to be that Mr. Obama is not consciously trying to harm America and is a conventional American president and politician with conventional political goals and aspirations. If one assumes, for the sake of argument, that this is true — if Mr. Obama is, with the best intentions and with good will, pursuing policies that are manifestly harmful to America and Americans — the end result is the same. The matter of his motivations will doubtless be a ripe controversy for future historians, but will matter little to contemporary Americans, who will suffer regardless.

Medved begins his essay with a quote from John Adams: “I pray heaven to bestow the best of blessing on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May not but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof.” Medved mentions some who were not so wise and honest in making the point that the quality of our presidents has always been limited by the fact that we are limited to choosing from the human race. “For all their foibles, every president attempted to rise to the challenges of leadership and never displayed disloyal or treasonous intent. This history makes some of the current charges about Barack Obama especially distasteful — and destructive to the conservative cause.” Perhaps, but only if Mr. Obama is unquestionably a member of that august company.

Read more here: http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/well-meaning-or-not-obama-threatens-america/#comment-910698

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Well-Meaning or Not, Obama Threatens America
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 11:30:48 AM »
This guy nails the squishy establishment Republicanism that Michael Medved has come to represent. He also puts into perspective what our challenges are in 2012 that the MM's of our country appear unwilling to accept.

This is all-out warfare for the future of our country. Fool around with niceties (think: McCain) and we are lost forever!

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 11:45:48 AM »
...squishy establishment Republicanism that Michael Medved has come to represent.

I only see two people in the current field of potential candidates who are not in that box.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 11:47:47 AM »
This guy nails the squishy establishment Republicanism that Michael Medved has come to represent. He also puts into perspective what our challenges are in 2012 that the MM's of our country appear unwilling to accept.

This is all-out warfare for the future of our country. Fool around with niceties (think: McCain) and we are lost forever!

!
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 12:41:46 PM »
I read that article earlier this morning. I am glad someone has put pen to it, because the "establishment" has clearly unleashed their machinery already...there's just too many "Need a Big Tent / Drop those social issues! / Obama does not hate America" utterances from Jeb, then Daniels, and so on. They're trying to establish the template for the field of 2012 candidates. Well, I've got news for them....

One user comment captured the sentiment very well:

I find it extremely difficult to reconcile the frequent assertions of Obama’s high intelligence with his unswerving devotion to his social-fascist convictions and policies. For that reason, I’m of the opinion that his motives are evil ones. But I wouldn’t like him any better, nor be more willing to see him continue in office, were I to conclude that he’s merely an ignorant — but ardent — but benevolent — totalitarian, unable to comprehend why what he’s done and is doing is to the detriment of our country.

Obama must go, and as soon as possible.

That comment was from F. Porretto. Hope he recreates his account here.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 09:58:30 AM »
Good post Mr. Porretto, hope you find your way here!   ::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.