Author Topic: Buckeye Shotgun Restoration  (Read 10680 times)

Offline Gunsmith

• Newb
Buckeye Shotgun Restoration
« on: August 20, 2011, 07:12:50 PM »
This shotgun was originally made around the turn of the 20th century; stamped in the side is Buckeye Gun Co. Lynchburg VA.  It's what would be called a "hardware store" shotgun.  An inexpensive single shot 12ga for poor farmer to put food on the table and keep the vermin out of the fields.  It retailed for around $8.  I was tasked to restore this shotgun, not for any monetary value, but rather for its sentimental value.  Its current owner's great grandfather bought it new and it's been passed down since then.  As we can see it had fallen onto hard times so let's see if it can be given another 100 yrs of existance. 

BEFORE:

Offline Gunsmith

• Newb
Re: Buckeye Shotgun Restoration
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 07:35:26 PM »
After fully dismantling it, found all the original parts were present.  I had to eliminate all the rust and buff each metal piece, strip and steel wool the stock and forend, repair the numerous cracks and splits, then finish them with several coats of boiled linseed oil.  I next had to strip the old bluing off the barrel sand it down and re-blue it. Finally I made a new brass front sight bead out of brass stock I had on hand.  I discovered while researching the gun the receiver has some kind of plating/anodizing on it which I was careful to preserve so it has its original silvery appearance. 

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 09:40:02 PM »
Very nice!! How long did that take?
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 10:52:58 PM »
Wow - that cleaned up really nice! Thanks for sharing Gunsmith!

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 11:41:03 PM »

Good show.

Offline Gunsmith

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 08:26:48 AM »

A lot longer than I would like to admit.   A good amount of the time was due to the choices I made on how to strip and remove the rust I could have just bead blasted the metal parts but I wasn't sure what would become of the plating and anyone who's worked on refinishing wood know what a slow process that is. I was being very cautious not to ruin any of the parts since no replacements are available.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 08:30:12 AM »
Wow, that's beautiful work. What a fine skill to have.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 10:21:44 AM »

A lot longer than I would like to admit.   A good amount of the time was due to the choices I made on how to strip and remove the rust I could have just bead blasted the metal parts but I wasn't sure what would become of the plating and anyone who's worked on refinishing wood know what a slow process that is. I was being very cautious not to ruin any of the parts since no replacements are available.

I've been taking stuff apart since I was six years old and my dad's alarm clock fell victim to a screw driver I found laying about  ;D I did learn the hard way that things are harder to put together than take apart. Over the years I've managed to acquire sufficient skills to win most reassembly battles, but not the refinishing skills. Sure, I know how to clean it up, but I never really mastered the finishing, so everything has that "paintbrush strokes" kinda look to it.

It's an enviable skill.

Offline Gunsmith

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 12:04:43 PM »

A lot longer than I would like to admit.   A good amount of the time was due to the choices I made on how to strip and remove the rust I could have just bead blasted the metal parts but I wasn't sure what would become of the plating and anyone who's worked on refinishing wood know what a slow process that is. I was being very cautious not to ruin any of the parts since no replacements are available.

I've been taking stuff apart since I was six years old and my dad's alarm clock fell victim to a screw driver I found laying about  ;D I did learn the hard way that things are harder to put together than take apart. Over the years I've managed to acquire sufficient skills to win most reassembly battles, but not the refinishing skills. Sure, I know how to clean it up, but I never really mastered the finishing, so everything has that "paintbrush strokes" kinda look to it.

It's an enviable skill.

Yes I too have a long wake of victims that fell to the curious hands of my unskilled youth. It didn't help that my father had a garage full of tools in which to practice my enthusiasms or some would say torture, maim and disembowel innocent appliances, lawn mowers or anything that plugged in, wound up or took batteries.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 12:59:59 PM »
I destroyed a couple of my dad's handheld transistor radios when I was a little kid. I was "fixing" them, of course.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 04:54:44 PM »
Nothing was safe from me in our house either. Glad I did it.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 07:18:32 PM »
Awesome job! ::bows::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 07:20:19 AM »
Wow, baby looks factory fresh, good job Gunsmith!

::cool::

I wish I had that kind of skill.  I have an old Rem 48 I inherited, been sitting in a basement since the late 70's, she's in rough shape and has some stock damage.  Taking it to a local guy this week, get an estimate of what it might cost to put her back into commission.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Gunsmith

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 07:49:01 AM »

I wish I had that kind of skill.  I have an old Rem 48 I inherited, been sitting in a basement since the late 70's, she's in rough shape and has some stock damage.  Taking it to a local guy this week, get an estimate of what it might cost to put her back into commission.

What all needs to be done?  Just cosmetic or did she start giving you other problems?  I would be curious to hear what your local guy thinks needs fixin.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 09:03:21 AM »

What all needs to be done?  Just cosmetic or did she start giving you other problems?  I would be curious to hear what your local guy thinks needs fixin.

The inside of the barrel looks a little rusty, just surface rust or worse I don't know.  The outer part (except for the stock) look OK enough that it might just need some modest restoration.  I dot not detect any cracks or anything.  Mechanically it seems to function so I think as long as the barrel is good I think the rest is doable.  I'll let you know what I hear.

Offline Gunsmith

• Newb
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 07:35:20 AM »
To everyone,

THANK YOU!!! for your generous praise I really appreciate it.

I will post about other interesting jobs that come across the work bench, in fact I have an R.F.I. Enfield from the personal collection I'm pondering what to do; restoration? sporterize? customize?  

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 08:41:08 AM by Gunsmith »

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 08:17:23 AM »
I will post about other interesting jobs that come across the work bench, in fact I have an R.F.I. Enfeild from the personal collection I'm pondering what to do; restoration? sporterize? customize? 

Any thoughts?

Please do. I never tire of admiring someones talent, especially with firearms. As far as the Enfield, it would depend on value whether to restore or sporterize. I just bought a Nagant. I'm going to check all the numbers. If a couple don't match, I plan on sporting that sucker. Love the gun, too. Pretty good shooter right out of the box. ::whoohoo::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gunsmith

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 08:47:30 AM »
Nothing special about the Enfield made in 1967 may have seen some use during one of the India/Pakistani conflicts it's .308 and bore is still good so I can do whatever to it.

Fumasseqy

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 06:08:34 AM »
Hi Gunsmith,
woow!!!! well maintain... old is gold... very impressive gun... I never saw only i heard about this gun... thanks for sharing really nice images of this gun.  ::cool::

Spam link in your first post is poor form dude; IDP
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 06:21:07 AM by IronDioPriest »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 06:50:22 AM »
Hi Gunsmith,
woow!!!! well maintain... old is gold... very impressive gun... I never saw only i heard about this gun... thanks for sharing really nice images of this gun.  ::cool::

Spam link in your first post is poor form dude; IDP

::facepalm::