Author Topic: Hurricane, Miami bound  (Read 4367 times)

charlesoakwood

Hurricane, Miami bound
« on: August 21, 2011, 11:38:42 AM »

Click link for animated gif tracking the storm's movement:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2011/graphics/al09/loop_5W.shtml

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Hurricane, Miami bound
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 08:51:57 AM »
Current track right up the eastern coastline.

Bummer, if that holds up I hope it doesn't get stronger.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 09:56:30 AM »

Yeah, the east coast of Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas are going to get wet.

This animated gif tracking the storm's movement updates with each new weather report:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2011/graphics/al09/loop_5W.shtml

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 06:13:34 PM »
So far the area around the NC/SC border is in the middle of all the different projected paths. I used to live in Wilmington, NC, the port city above Cape Fear. We got pummeled several times there The whole coastline of NC is a hurricane magnet. Only Florida gets hit more often.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 06:18:38 PM »
So far the area around the NC/SC border is in the middle of all the different projected paths. I used to live in Wilmington, NC, the port city above Cape Fear. We got pummeled several times there The whole coastline of NC is a hurricane magnet. Only Florida gets hit more often.

Ain't that the truth!

It's usually the Outer Banks and the coast that gets hit.  Any storm strong enough to do damage inland, such as Fran in '96, runs differently.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 06:21:52 PM »
I was in Wilmington for Bertha, Fran, Bonnie, Dennis, and Floyd. I think there's 1-2 near-misses I forgot. Fran did the most wind damage, but Floyd was definitely the worst in total damage. It was actually worse inland from all the streams bursting their banks than it was at the actual coast. I remember water still standing in some areas at Christmas time that year.

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 06:26:17 PM »
I was in Wilmington for Bertha, Fran, Bonnie, Dennis, and Floyd. I think there's 1-2 near-misses I forgot. Fran did the most wind damage, but Floyd was definitely the worst in total damage. It was actually worse inland from all the streams bursting their banks than it was at the actual coast. I remember water still standing in some areas at Christmas time that year.

We weren't here for any of those, but after Fran, the roofs in Raleigh (Wake County) and by us were still wearing blue tarps more than a year after.  The number of trees lost permanently changed whole landscapes.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 08:39:14 PM »
It needs to run directly into Washington, DC so that O'Bama has something else to blame his problems on.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 08:50:45 PM »
It needs to run directly into Washington, DC so that O'Bama has something else to blame his problems on.

Yes, I'm sure it's still ultimately Bush's fault since he created the Global Warming Weather Machine that causes these hurricanes.

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 09:32:04 PM »

If it ripped everything straight up Pennsylvania Avenue would it a natural weather event, a sign, or a miracle?

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 09:43:54 PM »
Good Luck! ::hysterical::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 11:59:54 PM »

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 12:08:17 AM »
I think it's time to change the title of this thread.  North Carolina is right square in the crosshairs now.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 12:35:57 AM »
If it's the coast, nothing new.  NC is the second-most frequent destination in the crosshairs, after Florida.  Batten down, pray and hope for the best.

Inland is a whole 'nother story.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 07:37:49 AM »
Looks to be tracking the coast, y'all in the Carolina's could be in for a rough ride Saturday evening...

Better get to shopping if you haven't already!

And call the Gov to suspend those idiotic gun bans during disasters!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Re: Hurricane, Philly bound?
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 08:06:35 PM »
The forecast track continues to veer to the right.  It's now looking like it may just graze the NC coast and hit the Delmarva peninsula or even New Jersey. 

Sh*t just got personal.

See also this post by Brendan Loy at PJM.  I haven't seen anything from him in a few years.  He made quite a name for himself back in 2005 when Katrina was approaching.  He called for the evacuation of New Orleans before anybody else.  He was just a nobody college kid, who happened to be a weather buff, writing on his own personal blog.  I remember reading his blog posts in real time back then; I think Instapundit may have linked him.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 08:59:06 PM »
Well, let's hope the models Brendan's relying on for that one possible scenario prove to be wrong.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 10:24:51 PM »
Tying into the point made in the earthquake thread, only now is Irene considered some malevolent threat, simply because Noo Yawk might be affected.

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 11:13:14 PM »

Maybe that "malevolence" is headed for that mosque construction site down the street from the Twin Towers.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 11:35:20 PM »

Maybe that "malevolence" is headed for that mosque construction site down the street from the Twin Towers.

"O say can you see ........ ".

::evilbat::