Author Topic: Leftist caricature of the uneducated churchgoer undermined by study  (Read 1372 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Notice the "not who you'd think", as if the basic assumption should be the Leftist assumption that churchgoers are moronic uneducated rubes. Still, it's good to see that a finding like this was reported and not spiked by MSNBC.... Then again, perhaps the story is designed to foster class-division among churchgoers and non-churchgoers.

HT: HotAir...

Who is going to church? Not who you think, study finds
Contrary to popular perception, college educated white Americans more likely to practice religion than the working class

Who is filling the pews in American churches? It is increasingly likely that they won’t be working class white people, according to new research.

While religious service attendance has decreased for all white Americans since the early 1970s, the rate of decline has been more than twice as high for less educated, lower and lower-middle class whites compared to more educated and presumably more affluent whites, according to a study presented Saturday at the annual meeting of the American Sociological Association in Las Vegas.

“My assumption going into this research was that middle America was more religious and conservative in general than more educated America,” study author Brad Wilcox told msnbc.com. “But what is surprising about this is that when it comes to religion as well as marriage, we find that the college educated are more conventional in their lifestyle than middle Americans.”

In the last four decades, monthly (or more) participation in religious services dropped from 50 percent of moderately educated (high school and perhaps some college) whites to 37 percent, according to the study, “No Money, No Honey, No Church: The Deinstitutionalization of Religious Life Among the White Working Class.” Attendance by the least educated (high school dropouts) dropped from 38 percent to 23 percent, by sociologists Wilcox, of the University of Virginia and Andrew Cherlin of Johns Hopkins University found.

Church attendance by higher-income whites with at least a bachelor’s degree barely dipped, from 50 percent to 46 percent.

More @ Link...
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Leftist caricature of the uneducated churchgoer undermined by study
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 12:24:33 PM »
Yeah, same bias Jesse (the Mindless) Ventura has...remember his religion is for the "weak minded" quip?

Results here not surprising, probably only to real rubes and leftists would it be a surprise.

And what has replaced God for the less educated?  could it be The State?

Establishing dependence is just okie dokie, eh rubes?  We know where the weaker-minded are going...

::)

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 03:00:44 PM »
Yeah, same bias Jesse (the Mindless) Ventura has...remember his religion is for the "weak minded" quip?

Results here not surprising, probably only to real rubes and leftists would it be a surprise.

Establishing dependence is just okie dokie, eh rubes?  We know where the weaker-minded are going...

The poor become subjects of the state and the "educated" are turning churches into birkensock wearing, donut eating, wear your shorts and bring your laptop "experiences", as a Elvis Costello wanna be leads singing and the preacher teaches social justice.

I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 03:05:51 PM »

The poor become subjects of the state and the "educated" are turning churches into birkensock wearing, donut eating, wear your shorts and bring your laptop "experiences", as a Elvis Costello wanna be leads singing and the preacher teaches social justice.

^^ That.

For "churches" like that, better off to stay away.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 06:50:18 AM »

^^ That.

For "churches" like that, better off to stay away.

The correct term for those is apostate churches.

Some are more interested in reinforcing happy feelings that allow them to feel good about themselves rather than reinforce beliefs that are good that can make them better people...

SSDD, up is down, wrong is right, bad is good...

::gaah::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.