Author Topic: Maybe THIS will kick warp-drive R & D in the arse  (Read 2349 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Maybe THIS will kick warp-drive R & D in the arse
« on: August 25, 2011, 02:21:19 PM »
I must say, I never contemplated such a thing. But when ya think about it, why the heck not? I'd bet there's gold planets too!

Surprise! Alien Planet Made of Diamond Discovered

A newly discovered alien planet that formed from a dead star is a real diamond in the rough.

The super-high pressure of the planet, which orbits a rapidly pulsing neutron star, has likely caused the carbon within it to crystallize into an actual diamond, a new study suggests.

The composition of the planet, which is about five times the size of Earth, is not its only outstanding feature...

Much more at the link...
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Maybe THIS will kick warp-drive R & D in the arse
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »
I must say, I never contemplated such a thing. But when ya think about it, why the heck not? I'd bet there's gold planets too!

Surprise! Alien Planet Made of Diamond Discovered

A newly discovered alien planet that formed from a dead star is a real diamond in the rough.

The super-high pressure of the planet, which orbits a rapidly pulsing neutron star, has likely caused the carbon within it to crystallize into an actual diamond, a new study suggests.

The composition of the planet, which is about five times the size of Earth, is not its only outstanding feature...

Much more at the link...

I bet we are the only in debt planet.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 03:30:40 PM »
I bet we are the only in debt planet.

::hysterical::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 03:40:22 PM »

Good day ::pokeineye::, I'm from Diamond Planet debt collections department come here to inform you your planet is in ultimate default and is designated for immediate remediation.  Have a nice day this is your last one  :) .

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 03:49:48 PM »
If you lived on the Diamond Planet... Diamonds would be the most common inert substance, like dirt or rock. Valueless. An entire planet of diamond, its only value existing in the minds of creatures light years away. Fully wrapping my mind around it is somewhat eluding me.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
All I know is, if Liz Taylor were alive, she'd want it in a nice setting.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 07:44:43 PM »
If you lived on the Diamond Planet... Diamonds would be the most common inert substance, like dirt or rock. Valueless. An entire planet of diamond, its only value existing in the minds of creatures light years away. Fully wrapping my mind around it is somewhat eluding me.

How far is this planet? How long would it take for a message to arrive?

www.diamondfordirt.com

charlesoakwood

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 07:45:43 PM »

?

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 09:51:02 PM »

It's the ALF system. On his planet, styrofoam was a rare and highly valuable item. Gold was everywhere, all their plumbing was made of gold pipes.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 11:01:25 PM »

Neutron stars are even more mind bending...

A typical neutron star has a mass between 1.35 and about 2.0 solar masses, with a corresponding radius of about 12 km...

A neutron star is so dense that one teaspoon (5 milliliters) of its material would have a mass over 5.5×1012 kg, about 900 times the mass of the Great Pyramid of Giza.

Neutron stars rotate extremely rapidly after their creation due to the conservation of angular momentum; like spinning ice skaters pulling in their arms, the slow rotation of the original star's core speeds up as it shrinks. A newborn neutron star can rotate several times a second; sometimes, the neutron star absorbs orbiting matter from a companion star, increasing the rotation to several hundred times per second, reshaping the neutron star into an oblate spheroid.

Almost as fun as black holes.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 11:24:49 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 11:19:59 PM »
I remember the first time that I heard of neutron stars. It was when I was in school and came upon a copy of Larry Niven's short stories named, appropriately enough, "Neutron Star." The title story was great even though the story didn't square very well with the actual math and science of neutron stars. I had never considered tidal forces in close proximity to an intense gravitational pull before. It was eye opening.

Actual short story (winner of the 1967 Hugo award for best short story) at the link. Enjoy.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 11:21:34 PM »
Let's name the diamond planet Lucy

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 02:05:43 AM »

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 07:19:23 AM »
I would bet even the gravity of this planet would make it impossible to exploit.  They say how large it is, the story doesn't say what the mass of the planet is, and I'd bet it's waayyyy up there...at least as heavy as Jupiter, probably more.  Which means gravity would be a Mochelle!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 11:01:53 AM »

?

I believe NAFTA may apply.....Beam in a website.....Shipping may be expensive.....