Author Topic: Cherokee nation Supreme Court - OK to boot slave decendents out of the tribe  (Read 1282 times)

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
How ironic.

http://news.yahoo.com/second-largest-u-indian-tribe-expels-slave-descendants-011650136.html

There's a Mel Brooks quip just waiting to be unleashed here...

::hysterical::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Okay, so the tribe is excommunicating those who are not Indian because they're not Indian.  I get it, see no problem with it, what am I missing?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
The controversy stems from a footnote in the brutal history of U.S. treatment of Native Americans. When many Indians were forced to move to what later became Oklahoma from the eastern U.S. in 1838, some who had owned plantations in the South brought along their slaves.
Some 4,000 Indians died during the forced march, which became known as the "Trail of Tears."
"And our ancestors carried the baggage," said Marilyn Vann, the Freedman leader who is a plaintiff in the legal battle.
Officially, there are about 2,800 Freedmen, but another 3,500 have tribal membership applications pending, and there could be as many as 25,000 eligible to enter the tribe, according to Vann.
The tribal court decision was announced one day before absentee ballots were to be mailed in the election of the Cherokee Principal Chief.
"This is racism and apartheid in the 21st Century," said Vann, an engineer who lives in Oklahoma City.

The Tribe is based on Race and you are surprised that there is racism involved?
By why do they care?

Removal from the membership rolls means the Freedmen will no longer be eligible for free health care and other benefits such as education concessions.
And those are paid for by whom?

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
Okay, so the tribe is excommunicating those who are not Indian because they're not Indian.  I get it, see no problem with it, what am I missing?

I just find it amusing and ironic that one so-called oppressed race oppressed another, welcomed them into the fold and then turned around and dumped them.

Remind you of anybody?

Can we former so-called oppressors now just dump all of them out of our country?

::stirpot::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
I'm good with that.  Must be the mood I'm in today; mean girl.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
That's OK, mean works...

...especially if we aim you in the right direction!

;)

charlesoakwood

Judge says he agrees with the Indians, they don't owe reparations, thereby setting precedent we the US owe no reparations.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Racial purity.....that's so 1939...