Author Topic: Jeb Bush willing to "accept new revenues"  (Read 972 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Jeb Bush willing to "accept new revenues"
« on: August 24, 2011, 09:58:46 AM »
    Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush warned the Republican presidential hopefuls against ideological intransigence and knee-jerk opposition to President Barack Obama on Tuesday, saying they risk turning off middle-of-the-road voters.

Asked by Fox News host Neil Cavuto if some Republicans go too far in their criticism of Obama, Bush said flatly, “I do. I think when you start ascribing bad motives to the guy, that’s wrong. It turns off people who want solutions.

“It’s fine to criticize him, that’s politics,” said Bush, the younger brother of former President George W. Bush, who again reiterated that he won’t run for president himself. “But just to stop there isn’t enough. You have to win with ideas, you have to win with policies. … He’s made a situation that was bad worse. He’s deserving of criticism for that. He’s not deserving of criticism for the common cold on up.”

“If you’re a conservative, you have to persuade. You can’t just be against the president,” he added.

Breaking with the GOP field, Bush said he’d be willing to accept new revenues as part of a deficit-reduction package.

“I think the problems are so severe in this country that leadership is required to find common ground and solutions,” he said.

SSDD from another RINO.

Gateway
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Jeb Bush willing to "accept new revenues"
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 10:00:05 AM »
There was a time when I thought Jeb Bush and people like him were good, solid, conservative Republicans. No more. They are even more than part of the problem. They are the problem. If they did what they were supposed to do, Leftist would never have gained the foothold that it has.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 10:03:09 AM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 10:25:51 AM »
There was a time when I thought Jeb Bush and people like him were good, solid, conservative Republicans. No more. They are even more than part of the problem. They are the problem. If they did what they were supposed to do, Leftist would never have gained the foothold that it has.

Concur.  However, I believe they did do what they were supposed to do -- Ruling Class negotiating for whose turn it is in the big chair, in charge of pulling the levers of an ever bigger Leviathan -- despite taking the oath with their hands on the Constitution.  Jeb doesn't want to fight anybody over anything, except for taking swipes at Perry; he wants to impress the "moderates" with compromise.

GW had a Republican congress and instead of cutting anything, they grew Leviathan even further and now they're all pissy because nobody trusts Republicans to damn well do anything besides what they've always done.  And they've got the nerve to brag that Medicare Part D "came in under budget", as though instituting yet another entitlement is okey-dokey because they got the budgeting part right that time.

After Japan's tsunami pictures began circulating, the mess there was so big and extensive, just seeing it was discouraging to me, as in "where the HELL would one even start".  I think the same way about the Federal government, and all levels of government, at this point.  It doesn't seem "we" are going to be able to "fix" it, so maybe it would be best if it just all fell the hell apart and we can start from scratch.

eta:  The further right I am pushed, the less conservative any of them look.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 10:51:43 AM »
Not willing to accept Jeb Bush, or anybody else who is so willfully incapable of realizing the immensity of the stakes we are talking about and who place more value in niceties at time where niceties will only ensure you get your ass kicked!

I have no patience for fools and bullsh*t and this clown has both bases covered!

::mooning::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 11:28:29 AM »
Why do they continue to believe in this "must appeal to the mushy moderates" nonsense? In 2008 the Republican candidate was the quintessential example of their "cross the aisle" strategery, and look what happened there. Again, 1996, Bob Dole was another milquetoast moderate. The lack of a coherent and consistent ideology is what is wrong with the Republican Party. Ideology is not a dirty word. Maybe if they'd bothered to advertise a cogent and coherent ideology the march of the Left would not have proceeded as far and wide as it did. We've surrendered virtually every social and civic institution to the Left because of visionless people like Jeb f***in' Bush telling us we shouldn't actually stand "for" anything.

There are times when I really resent that circumstances have dictated we must work on claiming control of this party rather than simply saying the Hell with 'em and starting a new party. Reality is trying mightily to send the GOP off to the same dusty cobwebs of history as their Whig predecessors, and the ostensible party "leadership" seems intent on helping the process along as much as possible.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 12:56:55 PM »
There are times when I really resent that circumstances have dictated we must work on claiming control of this party rather than simply saying the Hell with 'em and starting a new party. Reality is trying mightily to send the GOP off to the same dusty cobwebs of history as their Whig predecessors, and the ostensible party "leadership" seems intent on helping the process along as much as possible.

That's the process.  We fight to diminish them and they fight to diminish us.  The outcome whether we or they prevail, regretfully, will depend on who inspires the main stream and equally important introspective and frighteningly introspective middle.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 02:11:05 PM »
I must be getting old...er.  My patience with the middle is waning ever quicker...

charlesoakwood

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 04:52:28 PM »

Patience and contempt rise in equal measure.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 08:28:38 PM »
Inversely!

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 08:30:10 PM »
RINO Alert! ::rockets::
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

charlesoakwood

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 10:11:45 PM »

Maybe I should have said "restraint".