Author Topic: Hurricane Irene And All East Coast Related End O' The World Disaster Type Stuff  (Read 15474 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
So, okay, I'm starting a new hurricane thread since we aren't "Miami Bound" anymore and I just felt like it. I also figure that this is where a lot of time is going to be spent this weekend by IAL forum members. Sue me.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
No!  I'll not be suing you; I appreciate it!  We're looking to get smacked around pretty good down here.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
I checked weather.com a little while ago and we're supposed to have sunny weather all weekend in western Pa

Wasn't sure if there would be any effect on this side of the mountains

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero

Per the local weather wienies:  "Hurricane Irene shifted west Thursday, meaning that it could make landfall in Morehead City Saturday morning. The first sign of Irene could come Friday night as tropical storm force winds and rain move along the coast, some of which could be felt in the Triangle."

Yeah, okay, "some of which".
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
So when are you going to Miami now?
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
So when are you going to Miami now?

Who is going to Miami?

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

Bringing this little gif over to the new topic:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2011/graphics/al09/loop_5W.shtml

It updates every 3 hrs or better.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel

Must be my connection here at work, but it makes me dizzy. ::puke::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

It's government work. 
In the private sector the map would not move
therefore allowing the viewer to concentrate on the subject
instead of adjusting his vision with every frame.

Look over in the left column, you can adjust the speed or click one frame at a time.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero

Must be my connection here at work, but it makes me dizzy. ::puke::

You're not alone.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline rickl

• Established Member
I also figure that this is where a lot of time is going to be spent this weekend by IAL forum members.

Those of us who still have power, at least.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Over the last couple of days, I've rediscovered Brendan Loy.  He's now blogging at PJM.

He made quite a name for himself back in 2005 with Hurricane Katrina.  I found him via an Instapundit link.  He was calling for the evacuation of New Orleans before anybody else.  I read his blog posts in real time starting two or three days before Katrina made landfall.

He's updating frequently with Irene.  It's worth reading all of his posts, especially the one about the New York City worst-case scenario from last night.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Comment seen in the hurricane thread at Transterrestrial Musings:

MfK Says:
August 25th, 2011 at 10:53 am

So I’m leaving the safety of Florida tomorrow to fly up to Baltimore — to meet a hurricane. That’s after I moved near Baltimore from Southern California, expecting that quakes would be a thing of the past.

Somebody’s trying to tell me something…
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel

MfK Says:

So I’m leaving the safety of Florida tomorrow to fly up to Baltimore — to meet a hurricane. That’s after I moved near Baltimore from Southern California, expecting that quakes would be a thing of the past.

Somebody’s trying to tell me something

Evidently you not livin' right, boy.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero

MfK Says:

Somebody’s trying to tell me something

Evidently you not livin' right, boy.

::laughonfloor::

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Here's a pretty cool interactive map.  A commenter linked it at Ticker Forum.

You can zoom in, pan around, and play with turning on and off the options on the right.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Brendan Loy has a new post up:

Is the mayor of New York an idiot?

On Saturday night, August 27, 2005, during the early stages of my & my old blog’s 15 minutes of fame as Hurricane Katrina neared the Gulf coast, I published a blog post titled “The mayor of New Orleans is an idiot.” I wrote:

I can’t emphasize enough what a bad decision I think it is for New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin to delay the mandatory evacuation order until tomorrow morning. … Landfall is expected to occur around midday Monday. So by waiting until tomorrow morning, Mayor Nagin will be giving people scarcely 24 hours to get out. Perhaps he’s hoping to ease the evacuation traffic jams by starting things off with a trickle, but that’s awfully risky. Will Ray Nagin go down in history as the mayor who fiddled while New Orleans drowned? Could be.

Two days short of six years later, with a big-time hurricane hurdling toward a Sunday strike on his city, is New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg making the same mistake? He has announced that he will wait until Saturday morning to decide whether to order a mandatory evacuation of the “Zone A” low-lying areas that are home to roughly 250,000 people. So, like Nagin, he’ll be ordering an evacuation on the very day before the storm’s landfall or closest approach, and with perhaps 12 hours or less before conditions begin to deteriorate. That seems pretty foolish. Heck, I thought late Friday was pretty late to get started. Saturday morning? Really?!

This is starting to look like a rerun.  Read the whole thing.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
The NFL pre-season game on Saturday?  Really?  Idiots.

One cannot depend on the "authorities" today to impart vital and accurate information, if one ever could.  People simply must think for themselves and then take responsibility for doing what they must.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.