Author Topic: Hurricane Irene And All East Coast Related End O' The World Disaster Type Stuff  (Read 15659 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
The rain stopped a couple of hours ago, but the wind has really picked up.  I opened all the windows and am enjoying the breeze.

I heard on the radio that Philadelphia's Schuylkill River has crested at its greatest height since 1869.

I found a slideshow on a local news station's website showing some of the storm's effects around the area:  Pictures Of Hurricane Irene's Local Impact

Wow, looks like there's definitely some extensive damage - some wind, lots of water. Devastating to some, inconvenient to others, expensive for all.

Ah, yes, but none of that is material unless there is death and devastation in the only place that really matters: Manhattan.

I'm sick of them thinking that it's the center of the universe.There is no one place that is no more important than any other and no one person more important than any other.At times like this people are the only ones that can help each other long before the socalled first responders. My SIL is out helping his neighbors and my daughter has already called the family members close to them to see if they need anything.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
So...

Morning arrives and the storm turns out to be...not so much.

Cable news talking heads hardest hit.

Does this mean Global Warming isn't so bad after all?

AlGore speaks!

http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,2610.new.html#new

Will the fizzle hit AlGore or CNN and their "historic" storm?

::)

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Well, that was pretty much a bust for me, not that I'm complaining.  There are some pleasantly stiff breezes now, and I can open a window to enjoy them.  But the storm was much less intense than predicted, which only means the next time there are warnings of a severe storm, people will laugh them off -- to their detriment.  See Camille, Mississippi coast, 1969.  One high rise where people laughed off Camille and were having a hurricane party was leveled, and I do mean leveled, as if by explosives and a bulldozer.  Off course, 150 m.p.h. winds will do that, and we were barely half that this time.  I'm sure there is some flooding, coastal and by inland rivers prone to flooding, but that's par for the course with heavy rains and swollen tides.  There was a lot less severe wind damage that I would have expected.  But the fact that a hurricane/tropical storm came this close to NYC/Long Island simply means it can happen again, with the same unpredictable results.

Exactly.  See Brendan Loy's post this morning.  Almost all of the pieces were in place:  storm track hitting very near NYC, storm surge arriving during high tide (exacerbated by the new moon).  The only thing missing was the storm's intensity.  NYC dodged a bullet.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
One high rise where people laughed off Camille and were having a hurricane party was leveled, and I do mean leveled, as if by explosives and a bulldozer.  Off course, 150 m.p.h. winds will do that...........

While the winds were terrible, what leveled Biloxi was the storm surge. The rising waters are like a raging river running through your living room and gets deeper by the minute. The hydraulic pressure is immense.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

RickZ

One high rise where people laughed off Camille and were having a hurricane party was leveled, and I do mean leveled, as if by explosives and a bulldozer.  Off course, 150 m.p.h. winds will do that...........

While the winds were terrible, what leveled Biloxi was the storm surge. The rising waters are like a raging river running through your living room and gets deeper by the minute. The hydraulic pressure is immense.

I remember the flooding Camille caused in Richmond, VA.  Yes, Richmond.  Camille came up through Tennesee into West Virginia/Virginia and dumped massive amounts of water.  The normally placid James River crested the I-95 bridge which goes over it, and at quite an altitude at that.  If anything is going to be called 'The Storm of the Century', Camille was it.

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
. . .

I remember the flooding Camille caused in Richmond, VA.  Yes, Richmond.  Camille came up through Tennesee into West Virginia/Virginia and dumped massive amounts of water.  The normally placid James River crested the I-95 bridge which goes over it, and at quite an altitude at that.  If anything is going to be called 'The Storm of the Century', Camille was it.

I was trying to remember what hurricane did that to Richmond. Thanks, Rick.

I was just a mere chile, but living in NC, I remember the flood level in pictures of the I-95 bridge in downtown Richmond.
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

RickZ

. . .

I was trying to remember what hurricane did that to Richmond. Thanks, Rick.

I was just a mere chile, but living in NC, I remember the flood level in pictures of the I-95 bridge in downtown Richmond.

My brother has a picture book of that once in a lifetime event.  I think it's titled 'The Great Richmond Flood', or something like that.  The pictures are impressive in a 'state of shock and awe' kind of way.  The fact that Camille hit the Gulf coast and did all that damage to Richmond is just crazy.  Storms hitting the Virginia coast never do as much damage to the Richmond area as Camille did.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Irene's Legacy May Be Record Inland Flooding

Which is what I've been saying all along.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
President Barack Oobama wants you to know this is not over ........
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline rickl

• Established Member
From Ace of Spades.  It's been mildly photoshopped.  Look verrrry carefully...

~ Ann Barnhardt

charlesoakwood

unclassified cl*$ter f%*(.

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
On the Prince of Present's placard: . . . Cluster what?
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

RickZ

Ace's new acronym for Jugears:  SCOAMF.  Stuttering Clusterf*ck Of A Miserable Failure.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero

Ace's new acronym for Jugears:  SCOAMF.  Stuttering Clusterf*ck Of A Miserable Failure.

Traitor would suffice for me.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Unemployed will do the trick for me.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
First president to be hung would suffice ::newyear::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

RickZ

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
I love that one.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
Whoa, scary pic!  Something in an orange jumpsuit and manacles would be less offensive!

charlesoakwood

Whoa, scary pic!  Something in an orange jumpsuit and manacles would be less offensive!

Tease