Author Topic: Hurricane Irene And All East Coast Related End O' The World Disaster Type Stuff  (Read 15642 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Did you hear anything from your daughter John?
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
But the reporters were getting their information from the official bulletins that were released by NOAA.  I was reading them, along with everybody else.  They had Irene as a Cat 1 hurricane up until about the time it reached Long Island.

Anybody who maintains that Irene was "only" a tropical storm before that time is saying that the scientists working for NOAA knowingly and deliberately lied about their data.  It's certainly possible, but I'm not willing to go there without hard evidence.

ETA:  And as I said in my 7:41 pm EDT comment, try to comfort the residents of Vermont by telling them that they got hit by "only" a tropical storm instead of a full-fledged hurricane.  I don't think they're interested in splitting hairs at the moment.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 08:44:06 PM by rickl »
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
ETA:  And as I said in my 7:41 pm EDT comment, try to comfort the residents of Vermont by telling them that they got hit by "only" a tropical storm instead of a full-fledged hurricane.  I don't think they're interested in splitting hairs at the moment.

That's because VT is full of............lightweights. With the drought we're having, we'd welcome a tropical depression.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rickl

• Established Member

That's because VT is full of............lightweights. With the drought we're having, we'd welcome a tropical depression.

Dude, they've had roads and bridges washed away in every county in the state.  Entire towns are totally cut off from the outside world.

As Brendan Loy said the other day, "So… who had Vermont in the 'State Hardest Hit By Irene' pool?"
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
But the reporters were getting their information from the official bulletins that were released by NOAA.  I was reading them, along with everybody else.  They had Irene as a Cat 1 hurricane up until about the time it reached Long Island.

Then the NOAA lied and nobody bothered to check locally; there are other sites which do such tracking; I named one. 

Anybody who maintains that Irene was "only" a tropical storm before that time is saying that the scientists working for NOAA knowingly and deliberately lied about their data.  It's certainly possible, but I'm not willing to go there without hard evidence.

There is hard evidence that the wind-speeds were not as presented.  The Weather Underground site posted such, and Atkins did as well.

Oh fer ...  C'mon, rickl; are you actually positing that the truth doesn't matter now; it's relegated to the "splitting hairs" category?

Atkins went on record publicly on Levin's show on Friday saying the wind-speed velocities were being misreported and emphasized the flooding aspect that was being short-changed in favor of the chicken-little "winds".  And now I'm repeating myself.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Pandora, did you not read my 7:41 post?  Or my PM?
~ Ann Barnhardt

charlesoakwood

TV was doing a top 5 storms of the century, one of them was Alicia or Allison at Texas (Houston area) anyway they suffered more damage than from hurricanes.  It moved slow and dumped mucho water.

Debating whether it was a Cat 1 or a TS is moot.  A Cat 1 may be dry and a TS can wash the bridges away.  The error was the focus on wind and not the terrible flooding that was happening inland and what the upper east coast needed to prepare for.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!

They didn't even lose power,my parents didn't either. My niece (the one that had triplets)Is still out of power but he family went to the rescue with generators and window A/C units and fuel. The damned fool didn't want to tell anybody that they were having a problem because she thought that they all had their hands full and didn't want to be a pain in the ass(with three babies in the house).

What pisses me off is that he effing mother my sweetheart of a sister didn't even go check on her. My daughter got wind of it from my mother and off everybody went.They might have power by tomorrow. Not all the people that bought generators and have power back are trying to sell the for double what they paid for them.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero

Alan VT is an absolute mess. Towns were as bad as 15 feet under water and bridges ripped out and people can't get in or out of town and nobody knows for how long.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Pandora, did you not read my 7:41 post?  Or my PM?

I read your 7:41 post; just saw your PM.  Check your PMs.

I've no desire to make a major deal out of this, we just disagree.

eta:  We don't need libtards; we're arguing with each other over the fcking weather.  Fer crissake.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
Pandora, did you not read my 7:41 post?  Or my PM?

I read your 7:41 post; just saw your PM.  Check your PMs.

I've no desire to make a major deal out of this, we just disagree.

eta:  We don't need libtards; we're arguing with each other over the fcking weather.  Fer crissake.

Not weather,the lies we were all told is causing this.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero

TV was doing a top 5 storms of the century, one of them was Alicia or Allison at Texas (Houston area) anyway they suffered more damage than from hurricanes.  It moved slow and dumped mucho water.

Debating whether it was a Cat 1 or a TS is moot.  A Cat 1 may be dry and a TS can wash the bridges away.  The error was the focus on wind and not the terrible flooding that was happening inland and what the upper east coast needed to prepare for.

I disagree.  Either the truth matters or it doesn't.  We're now to the point where, manmade glowball warmink aside, we can't trust the current weather reporting!!?

As for the rest, yes, the focus was incorrectly placed, not through some vast conspiracy -- vastly destructive flooding is just as "sexy" for reporting and career-making purposes -- they just placed their bets on the wrong element this time and were gonna be damned if they withdrew their false prophecies.

charlesoakwood

If NOAA gave incorrect information it will come out, there are too many personal weather stations.

As far as the people up northeast, informing them a sh*t load of water was coming should have been stressed.  During the storm rickl repeatedly stress that point. 

Personally I don't understand how they didn't know, all you had to do was dial up NOAA, WeatherUnderground, or any other radar and look. It wasn't a secret unless one believed those fools washing themselves in toxic sea foam.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Dude, they've had roads and bridges washed away in every county in the state.  Entire towns are totally cut off from the outside world.

As Brendan Loy said the other day, "So… who had Vermont in the 'State Hardest Hit By Irene' pool?"

My sincerest apologies.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

RickZ

The Pravda media:  Not worth the spit it takes to makes one's shoe shine.

Honestly, I now believe everything they report (including Fox) is filtered through a political lens.  Yes, even the weather.  We didn't hear much of the Obamas taking two separate planes (and motorcades) to Martha's Vineyard for vacation, but we did hear about the hardship of Obama leaving vacation a few hours early thanks to the storm.  The media were so invested in another Katrina, this time hitting the populated Northeast, with all the subsequent social fallout, that they wanted to portray Obama as 'in charge' as opposed to Bush's fault with Katrina (when we know the fault lay with Blanco and Nagin).  As if Obama could do anything in the middle of the storm except watch.  Obama has changed America for the worse in so many ways, including the pandering media slobbering over him and not even able to report on the weather with any sense of accuracy.

The truth is now a radical idea, especially if the truth does not put Obama in a halo.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero

They didn't even lose power,my parents didn't either. My niece (the one that had triplets)Is still out of power but he family went to the rescue with generators and window A/C units and fuel. The damned fool didn't want to tell anybody that they were having a problem because she thought that they all had their hands full and didn't want to be a pain in the ass(with three babies in the house).

What pisses me off is that he effing mother my sweetheart of a sister didn't even go check on her. My daughter got wind of it from my mother and off everybody went.They might have power by tomorrow. Not all the people that bought generators and have power back are trying to sell the for double what they paid for them.

Well, at least they're on top of it.  Hopefully power is restored soon, good thing they had gen's...hate to try to go get one after the fact, mucho dinero even if available!  And the other thing people forget is to get gas ahead of time too...power goes out, those pumps at the station aren't working...and I doubt they'll let you siphon out of the main tank!

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero

What pisses me off is that her effing mother my sweetheart of a sister didn't even go check on her. My daughter got wind of it from my mother and off everybody went.They might have power by tomorrow. Not all the people that bought generators and have power back are trying to sell the for double what they paid for them.

Well, at least they're on top of it.  Hopefully power is restored soon, good thing they had gen's...hate to try to go get one after the fact, mucho dinero even if available!  And the other thing people forget is to get gas ahead of time too...power goes out, those pumps at the station aren't working...and I doubt they'll let you siphon out of the main tank!

Fortunately there is fuel out there only because the outages are spotty. The story here for me is my shythead of a sister of mine not having enough brains to go check on the kids and they're sitting on a generator. My mother is absolutly furios which is totally out of character for her to be even miffed at her.So my father is bugging me to order a generator ASAP for the kids.

How the hell don't you check on your kid and four grandchildren??????It's nuts!!!But thank God for my daughter and my SIL to have enough decency to go check and come prepared and that's because the two girls know each other's quirks. My daughter know that her cousins pride wouldn't let her ask for help.Which isn't exactly smart either but her story is that they kept thinking that the power would come back on shortly and all the while a transfer station was completely under water and has to be rebuilt so it might be a few more days.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
The Pravda media:  Not worth the spit it takes to makes one's shoe shine.

Honestly, I now believe everything they report (including Fox) is filtered through a political lens.  Yes, even the weather.  We didn't hear much of the Obamas taking two separate planes (and motorcades) to Martha's Vineyard for vacation, but we did hear about the hardship of Obama leaving vacation a few hours early thanks to the storm.  The media were so invested in another Katrina, this time hitting the populated Northeast, with all the subsequent social fallout, that they wanted to portray Obama as 'in charge' as opposed to Bush's fault with Katrina (when we know the fault lay with Blanco and Nagin).  As if Obama could do anything in the middle of the storm except watch.  Obama has changed America for the worse in so many ways, including the pandering media slobbering over him and not even able to report on the weather with any sense of accuracy.

The truth is now a radical idea, especially if the truth does not put Obama in a halo.

Concur.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero

What pisses me off is that her effing mother my sweetheart of a sister didn't even go check on her. My daughter got wind of it from my mother and off everybody went.They might have power by tomorrow. Not all the people that bought generators and have power back are trying to sell the for double what they paid for them.

Fortunately there is fuel out there only because the outages are spotty. The story here for me is my shythead of a sister of mine not having enough brains to go check on the kids and they're sitting on a generator. My mother is absolutly furios which is totally out of character for her to be even miffed at her.So my father is bugging me to order a generator ASAP for the kids.

How the hell don't you check on your kid and four grandchildren??????It's nuts!!!But thank God for my daughter and my SIL to have enough decency to go check and come prepared and that's because the two girls know each other's quirks. My daughter know that her cousins pride wouldn't let her ask for help.Which isn't exactly smart either but her story is that they kept thinking that the power would come back on shortly and all the while a transfer station was completely under water and has to be rebuilt so it might be a few more days.

Yeah, somebody needs a gentle talkin' to, especially when little ones need to be looked out for...somebody has to be an adult.  Hopefully the lesson is learned.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Why is Incompetano, the head of HOMELAND SECURITY, issuing statements about the hurricane's aftermath and cleanup?