Author Topic: Hurricane Irene And All East Coast Related End O' The World Disaster Type Stuff  (Read 15550 times)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Where are you, Alan?
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Found this a bit interesting, what the celebrities in NYC are doing to "prepare"; talk about a mostly clueless bunch.  After the massive power outage in NYC a few years ago, The Perky Katie still has no flashlight?

Last interesting detail:  one of George H. Bush's granddaughters is engaged to Ralph Lauren's son.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

Down here, if it's a Cat 1 or lower, we just stock up on alcohol and ride it out.

Don't forget the boudin.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Hello PANDORA are there??
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Safe and sound so far.  Power blipped a few times -- not enough to kick on the gennie, though.  Rain stopped for now, too.

No worries, mate.

We took down the hummingbird feeder and the little guys keep whizzing by -- "awww, diner's closed".
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

Glad ya'll are OK.  Is Glock out there?

The eye is at Lake Mattamuskeet just west of Wysocking Bay.  The map says Last Chance.

charlesoakwood

It's going to go straight up East Lake.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
Well, it finally started to rain in significant amounts with mild breeze here in south central PA. The folks are freaking as a heavy rain event with a name that the media is focused on fo no effing reason. Clueless doesn't even begin to describe the mindset.

My prayers to those in the vicinity of the "beast" that it won't inconvenience you to much.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!

Glad ya'll are OK.  Is Glock out there?

The eye is at Lake Mattamuskeet just west of Wysocking Bay.  The map says Last Chance.

No troubles here either. I'm on the other end of the state. The only noticeable effect we've had here, other than being overcast and a bit breezy, is that yesterday I could tell the hurricane was dragging a lot of tropical air up with it because it was unusually humid. I'm at 4,000 feet above sea level and we usually have very little humidity here, but that's not been the case with the storm at the coast.

Fortunately it weakened to a Cat 1 before coming ashore. They were originally expecting it to be a Cat 3. My main worries are for the Outer Banks. They get storm surge from the ocean when the storm is coming from the south, then they get storm surge from the sound as it leaves to the north.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

@15:37 there is no discernible eye,  expect it to reappear in Albemarle Sound.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
I hope Dan checks in before it hits the Boston area. ::thinking::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Where are you, Alan?

About 30 mi north of the Gulf of Mexico.

Down here, if it's a Cat 1 or lower, we just stock up on alcohol and ride it out.

Don't forget the boudin.

And da cracklins. ::whoohoo::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Except for the rain this thing seems to be seriously overhyped.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Yup.  Mostly.  Some serious flooding on the coast.  Waiting to see how hard NY/NJ gets it.

Nothingburger for us.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
The despondence of the media without the predicted death and destruction will be terribly noticeable. They'll do everything they can to get mileage out of the flooding.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

Meteorologist and governor, Chris Christi said this is the 100 year hurricane.
The quote to be remembered is  "if you decide to stay get a 3x5 card, put your vital information on it and put it in your shoe so we can identify you".  Bureaucrats abandon all artful language in deference to hysteria.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Yeah, I find that, "Write your SSN on your arm so we can notify your next of kin," line to be a particularly odious item in the state's bag of tricks to try and intimidate the public into compliance.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
There wouldn't be such a reluctance to evacuate if the "authorities" would mind their own business and stop keeping people from returning to their homes once the storm was over.